Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so that was sort of the whole thing right there in the title! :)

I was out thrift-shopping for a shower curtain (found it) needed curtain rings (didn't find 'em yet), and while looking at the plastic baggies hanging from the shelf dividers (where curtain rings would probably be), I saw a bag full of silvery candlesticks. I flipped 'em over, expecting it to say "plate" like these things always do... and this time they didn't, they said "weighted sterling" !

There were six in the bag for $3.98- 25% discount. I figured if I misunderstood I was only out $3, but even though they are "weighted", with the prices of silver these days, if there was more than a tenth of an ounce there, I'd be ahead in the long run. I have a 90% silver quarter that's damaged and even that is worth more than $3... Brought 'em home and looked 'em up online... Rough guesstimated value (based on ebay) anywhere from $100-$200... one of the pairs goes for $180 on replacements limited, but we all know how THEY are...

My husband's reaction? He was disappointed they weren't "solid" silver.

I never thought I'd get to own a pair of real silver candlesticks, even "weighted" ones... now I have THREE! (coincidentally, we have three daughters, so that will work out well someday.)

Geek with me, please! I posted this on my other chat site and people were like "so?"

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
I think it is great!! I have some plated ones, inherited - sterling is fantastic!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great Find! Congratulations!!!! :)

A few yrs back I found a bag of keychains at a town tag sale. I only wanted one novelty one but the seller refused to budge on the price and wouldn't sell only that one. While not frugal I gave in and spent the $10. When I got them home I was going through them and hark! The bag included a marked Tiffany sterling keychain with quite a bit of weight. :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Great find.

Three candle sticks three girls. Will make great Wedding presents for them or 25 th wedding anniversary presents too.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
:tay: Great shopping...........sometimes you just have to 'go for it'..........price be damned!! And this was worth it.........

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
That's great, I have always secretly wanted a set for those holiday meals...which is silly cause most meals here at our house are spent watching football lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts