Frugal Village Forums banner

Silver Highlights

5K views 41 replies 34 participants last post by  Nishu 
#1 ·
All of the sudden I'm noticing them more, could it be turning 50? :D I don't color my hair yet & may not. Anyone else just letting nature take it's course?

Reactions: Sassyclass
#2 ·
i'm blonde, so they don't show too much unless you are looking for them. What is wierd to me is ramdom DARK and thick hairs, mostly near my temples. I have no idea where those are coming for!

#4 ·
I'm proud of my 'all-natural, eco-friendly organic highlights'!

Besides, I'm too lazy to color my hair - cause once you start, you really cannot stop.

#5 ·
Same here, I've decided to let nature take its course. Great minds think alike (hehehe), I call those 'silver highlights' also.

My DMIL still has her hair (dark brown) colored every month or so, she's turning 79. My DS once said, many years ago, grandma had to color her hair more frequently, sometimes she looked like a skunk (the white roots showing). He didn't mean it as disrespectful, it was just from his view (since he is a foot taller than grandma).
So, combining the facts that I don't like spending a few hrs EVERY month to color my hair + not wanting to look like a skunk to people taller than me (which will be many people) if I slack off. So, no hair coloring for me.

#6 ·
My parents are in late 60's and still have Salt-Pepper hair with more pepper than salt, huh! So I expect to have these greys for quite some time. We are all dark brunettes, my dad's hair almost black.

I convinced my mom to stop coloring, the jet black was getting ridiculous and did not go well with her complexion/facial features of aging.

In general I do not color but this summer I wanted to spruce up for the boyfriend's visit and wanted red. I chose a semi-perm. that went really well with my already dark hair. It basically made the greys into highlights, I liked it.

Now its growing out and I'm ignoring it. I wont be retouching it as my hair grows very fast and thick. I can deal with it until its gone.

Most of my greys are underneath, anyone else have that? If I put my hair up I age 10 years, I swear!! (ok, maybe not 10, ha!) So I don't put it up very often. Its silly, I claim not to care but then sometimes I will look in the mirror and think "oh no, what the heck?"

#7 ·
I'm blond-ish, too, and they really didn't show (much) for a long time. I was rather proud of being basically the only among my peers who wasn't coloring her hair.
All that changed about a year ago and now I'm all wrapped up in tin foil at the "Broadway Salon" (gotta love it) every couple of months.
I'm gorgeous, it's very expensive, and yes, once you start you can never stop!!!

#8 ·
I colored mine for a while. But it got to the point that there was so much gray and my hair grows so fast that I had a white strip after a week or two. So I stopped coloring it about two years ago.

I ride a Harley and it has lots of chrome. His name is Chromeo. I now tell people my hair color is CHROME!

#10 ·
I colored my hair a few years ago but it was needing it to be done sooner and sooner, so I stopped. I have now gone natural for 3 years and don't mind it at all. :)

#11 ·
If you look at my picture, you are seeng my natural color. I used to color it, not drastically different, but just a little blonder. I d idn't get the white streak thing, but decided to just stop coloring. And you know what? I like it and Hubby likes it. And I'm seeing more and more people stopping the coloring and taking pride in the silver. Even celebs, like Jamie Lee Curtis, are doing this. Hubby is going gray around the temples, too. I tell him he looks "distinguished", not "extinguished."

#12 ·
natural blonde- have never died my hair and i am kind of afraid to .
i get that rare thick black wire-y hair maybe one a year and its long when i find it and it wasnt there the day before so thats wierd- i yank that out lol.

i have a some white hairs more than grey so they look like very light blonde highlights - my grandfather had pure white hair .

#13 ·
natural blonde- have never died my hair and i am kind of afraid to .
i get that rare thick black wire-y hair maybe one a year and its long when i find it and it wasnt there the day before so thats wierd- i yank that out lol.
that's what i was trying to describe. where in the world do those come from? LOL. I swear they arent there one day, and poof ...8 inches long the next. So wierd:scratch:

#18 ·
I have a big streak of gray in my bangs. Someone at work asked me if I did it or if it was natural. I love the salt and pepper look so I will not be coloring mine. And then it also takes extra money to keep it up and that is not in my budget. I figure if God made it this way (with a little help from kids, work, dh etc...), then this is the way it will stay.

#19 ·
I had colored my hair for 10 years or so up until about 10 months ago. I decided that I was tired of the nasty hair coloring chemicals and trying to be someone I am not. I am now about 30% gray. I am middle aged and proud! I deserve these gray hairs and on the plus side they make my blue eyes look bluer. Glad to see that there are other women who are letting their hair go natural too.

#20 ·
I dyed mine only long enough to know I was not going to have the skunk stripe my Mom had (her dark hair had a white stripe down it just like a skunk and I'm not talking roots). I'm now mostly white. At first I didn't like being so young and so white but I don't like the "fake" way dyed hair looks.

#21 ·
Oh I love my tinsel colored hairs. :crackup: I have jet black hair and started getting silver hairs about 2 years ago. I did buy some hair color once and the box stayed on the shelf for 3 years until I finally threw it out.:chicken: I've come to the conclusion that I work with all men, therefore I earned every single silver hair I have. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sorry guys.

Cat

#22 ·
I've told people I'm a single mother of teens, I've earned them. :lol3:

#23 ·
So far, I'm embracing my own natural bling! I colored for a little while when I was younger (long before I had grays), and I just don't have it in me to maintain it. My hair is dark brown, and the silver pops in the winter and when I'm stressed ;)! In the summer, the sun lightens everything up nicely and it's not so noticeable.

#24 ·
Nope. But, I started getting my highlights at age 16. I passed that trait on to my kids, lol. I've tried letting it grow out, looked bad (not a pretty gray) & colored again. Tried blonde, made me look older, so I'm back to my "natural" dark brown. High maintenance but worth it.

#25 ·
I've been coloring my hair for a few years now. When I had money to have it done in a salon my hairdresser did it a light brown which I thought looked great. Then I came to my senses - and have been doing it myself for over a year now and using a darker color - medium brown - and am loving it!!

Thirty minutes a month - $4 at the most = works for me!!

#27 ·
I'm strawberry blonde and my blonde hairs are turning white. They blen right in. I have never dyed my hair and never will. If I'm like my two older sisters. The white hair will not take a dye. My #2 sister's hair is pure white. She has no pigmentation so it won't hold the dye. My oldest sister is doing the same thing. I don't look my age......
Fern

#30 ·
My hair turned white while I was in my 20's. I've dyed it ever since. I don't know how I would stop without bad roots (thank you Lady Clairol). I also don't want anyone to think my 3yo is my grandbaby. My 16yo ds has a white shock in his hair already. Bad genetics!

#31 ·
The only thing that bugs me about my 'eco-friendly, all-natural organic highlights' is that when I wash it and comb it out, the white ones dry seemingly instantly and stand straight up while the brown/red/black ones lie there all wet and flat.

#32 ·
Rebels. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.