Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the old saying: two can eat as cheap as one. Well, what about housing? As a single, do you choose to live alone or do you have a roommate or renter? Just curious, since I'm single and live alone, but realize that it's not a "frugal" choice.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I also choose to live alone. I could get a roommate but why besides the financial aspect. Part of my joy in living alone is the solitude. I love coming home to a very quiet house and choosing not to turn on any gadgets (televisions, radios) etc and just basking in the quietness. This is especially helpful when I get a headache. I like not having to greet anyone first thing in the morning. I am an introvert by nature so I do not think that roommates would be good for me. But to each his own. I would like to save money but not be sacrificing my peace of mind.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I also choose to live alone. I could get a roommate but why besides the financial aspect. Part of my joy in living alone is the solitude. I love coming home to a very quiet house and choosing not to turn on any gadgets (televisions, radios) etc and just basking in the quietness. This is especially helpful when I get a headache. I like not having to greet anyone first thing in the morning. I am an introvert by nature so I do not think that roommates would be good for me. But to each his own. I would like to save money but not be sacrificing my peace of mind.
Well said!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I love living alone. I did move back in with my mom a month or so ago, because I think she needs help. This has already been a trying experience for me because I am so used to being alone.

I don't think I could handle having someone living in my house that was not kin. Of course there are many of my kin folk that I would not want living in my house either. LOL

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Solitude and quiet are impossible to put a price tag on. I would live with someone else only a last, deperate resort.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm single and live alone. I absolutely love not having to answer to or clean up after anyone but myself. My life is so relaxed and calm.

I enjoy it when the kids are here for holidays or any other get togethers but when everyone goes home I give a big sigh of relief.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I agree that saving money is not worth my peace of mind...I love knowing that I come home to the same thing I left in the morning...I love being able to choose what music, gets listened to, what activities get done and what is for dinner...

I am almost 45 and I can't see living with anyone again...I've done it three times (not counting the kids) and this is much more of a natural fit for me...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Living alone and single can be more expensive. But so worth it!!

I will always live alone. With pets, so I'm not really alone as long as I have them.

I grew up in a volatile home. All I ever wanted to do was be left alone and to be alone. I will never give that up for anything.

In school a teacher had this in her classroom and I so agree:

"I would rather sit on a rock and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion"

I don't know who said it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Though I have my 6 year old, I don't live with any other adult. after my younger brother was my roommate for a few years, I've learned to enjoy living alone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Late to the party, but...I live with a roommate and several pets. I have lived alone. I like things about both...my ideal situation I think would be to share a house with someone. Right now I'm sharing a tiny apartment, but it's totally worth it as I couldn't afford to stay in my neighborhood otherwise. And I love my neighborhood.

It's a trade off...luckily my roommate and I are like sisters, and I never had a sister growing up, so it's fun, if crowded at times. More space would be nice. I almost moved out recently but couldn't go through with it, I would have completely changed neighborhoods, still been struggling, and it just wasn't worth it for a little bit more space.

Also we're both big animal lovers, and it's nice to live with someone who isn't annoyed by my pets..and my tendency to bring home more pets. :D

I'm actually mostly a loner, so living with a roommate gives me social time for lazy introverts. :D When I lived alone I had to work at going out, it's so much easier when you live with a social butterfly and get dragged along.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
but realize that it's not a "frugal" choice.
, but I like my peace!

The two parts above just about says it for me........I like my peace and QUIET and it wouldn't be too frugal for me as I couldn't afford the DRUGS it would take for me to live with someone!!!

My critters are my best companions! I don't want to put up with anyone's critters - or their messes! (I can make enough of a mess for two or three people!!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a roommates, who actually is my cousin and his gf. Good parts and bad parts. They are messy, I tend to do alot of cleaning. But good part, they watch my dog for me when I go to my bf's for a few days a week, so all in all its a trade off. Also the fact that is cuts my expense's in half is great. Now as we are both getting older( me 23, him-22), soon both will want to move out, get married - I would assume in the next yr or two, things will be interesting to see what happens.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have lived on my own and with roommates. Both have their good points. Lately though, I think I have become to accustomed to living alone and wonder what would happen if I had to share a living space. Not really sure how happy I would be or if it would just mean making adjustments. Personally I think if the place was big enough for a quiet room for me things would be ok.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Living alone and single can be more expensive. But so worth it!!

I will always live alone. With pets, so I'm not really alone as long as I have them.

I grew up in a volatile home. All I ever wanted to do was be left alone and to be alone. I will never give that up for anything.

In school a teacher had this in her classroom and I so agree:

"I would rather sit on a rock and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion"

I don't know who said it.
This is soooooo me. Thank you for that quotation.

I will have an empty nest in 2 yrs, I CANNOT WAIT. Sorry if that makes me sound like a terrible parent but I want my house to myself. I have absolutely NO intention of having a roommate. I have pets, they are enough for me. Some day, far far down the road, I have a long-distance bf that could move in. Farrrrrr down the road....

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
It was nice to see this thread again, and to see that some of your are so happy living alone.

One thing that really bugs me is when people feel sorry for me, and though being alone is an affliction. They just don't understand. But then, I don't understand them either. Many years ago when I was teaching freshman composition, I assigned an essay on solitude. I was astonished how many hated or feared it. It meant "lonely" or "abandoned" to them. I had expected nice, neutral expository essays, but got a lot of very emotional reactions to the subject.

I know that some people also see it as a selfish choice - wanting your own space, your own schedule, your own way. Well, then I'm selfish - and happy with my choice.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Hope you folks don't mind my butting in. While I don't live alone, although I threaten DH sometimes, I do miss it. I'm a very independant person and I like it that way. I think people who live alone are strong individuals who know what they like. Maybe "survivor" fits. Just because you live alone doesn't mean you are alone. I grew up with 3 sisters and 2 brothers and I was never alone and I think that is why I could easily go back to living alone, but only if something were to happen to DH, God forbid. Don't get me wrong I love my DH, but man do I envy you guys.

Cat

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I know that some people also see it as a selfish choice - wanting your own space, your own schedule, your own way. Well, then I'm selfish - and happy with my choice.
I hear what you said dc.............and it seems like the older I get the MORE "sympathy" my single life gets!!! It is really unbelievable. You know when you get that "OH!" ---when you tell them that you are single and live alone! :yikes:

Cracks me up..............and if it is selfish then so be it.......I LOVE IT!

People have asked me if I would EVER get married again and my response is "if I could find a WIFE ----buy a duplex together, and HE live in one half and me in the other half!" That brings a few looks!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts