Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of questions.
Do you cook complete meals for just yourself? Regular or irregular basis?
And where do you eat when you prepare a meal? Do you set the table and eat there? In front of TV? In front of computer? Read while you eat?

I fix complete meals 2-3 times a week and then it's either leftovers or something like kidney beans and rice, sandwich, and sometimes "breakfast" for dinner.
I never eat at the table. It's either in front of computer or TV. Sometimes I'll read while eating lunch simply because the light is better.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Hi there, my husband is long-distance so him and I fend for ourselves. We talk about what we're making for dinner and sometimes help each other with ideas. So here's what I generally do:
make a batch of pasta or rice, or potatoes but leave it plain, eat it for dinner fresh one night then leftovers for the next couple of lunches or dinners with different toppings.
Crockpot meals for a couple days/lunches or freeze it if I get tired of it quickly.
Lots of fruit and vegetables on hand because I always want to snack. I think its a boredom/loneliness thing. So make it EASY and healthy. Wash it when you first bring it home and put it in a decorative bowl in the fridge. :)
Comfort foods but try and put a healthier spin on them.
Don't buy cookies and crackers or chips, you'll just eat them all instead of dinner. I do, at least. ha! So don't even have it around tempting you after a bad day at work.

I don't do the traditional meals that my stay-at-home mom used to: meat, starch, veggie, salad, dessert.
However I have all those items on hand to eat at various times. I just don't eat huge meals like I grew up with. I figure as long as I'm eating a variety every day, I don't need to feel like I just had a Thanksgiving meal every night. My mom still cooks like that and that's fine for her but its just not my thing.

I eat wherever I want at the time. Sometimes its upstairs with my adult daughter if she's home for the evening, sometimes at the computer while typing on Skype to my hubby, sometimes I'm in front of the computer watching a movie on Netflix, it kind of depends who's available besides my dogs. :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talking about washing veggies when you get them home...not long back I bought a cheap ($6.00 I think) salad spinner. That has been one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time. I used to toss tons of produce. Now I wash/spin my lettuce right away and store it in the fridge in the bowl part. Yesterday I grated some carrots, sliced a bunch of celery in the food processor that was not too far from going bad and threw it in my bowl. Now, with all that there and ready, I eat salad all the time. I can quickly add other things if I want but I and haven't tossed anything out lately. Once dry, it keeps for quite a while.

Reactions: brenda67

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I make my own salad mix because I don't like the taste of whatever they put in the bagged salad at the store. Plus it's cheaper. I cut up a head of lettuce, slice up a red onion, grate a carrot or two, and that's my mix. I'm weird in that I like to keep my salad mix in a bag instead of a bowl. Don't ask me why, since as a rule I don't use bags much because I don't wash and re-use them. Recently a friend of mine gave me a tip to put a paper towel in the bag with the salad mix, and it works great. It makes the salad keep much longer.

My 'salad spinner' is a mesh bag. I put the salad in it, take it outside, and twirl it around. The water comes out of it and I can store the 'spinner' in a drawer. :)

If I'm home alone I tend not to cook full meals but just graze instead, while making an effort to have healthy snacks.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lolpoint: :cheer4: :)

I knew I should have asked you before I bought that space consuming spinner! But I'll also ask...what are you going to do when it's 100 below zero and your salad has ice crystals? Further, my neighbors already raise their eyebrows at some of my shenanigans...:ack:

I started my own salad mix because the bagged stuff never tasted really fresh. Therefore, I would only eat half of it and toss the other half. At about $2.98 a bag...I can make 3-4 "bags" for that price and enjoy it more.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Well, you're only outside a few seconds, so no ice crystals.

I actually read that tip on a camping forum. No space in a lot of campers for a salad spinner.

We can't even see any of our neighbors, plus they're only here in summer, so no problem there. :D

The bagged stuff has a funny taste. They claim there are no preservatives, but they do something to it.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Many times I will make a big bowl of chopped carrots and celery and microwave it until crisp tender. Then just make a protein and cut up some fruit to go with the meal. Right now I eat my main meal at lunch. Breakfast is a small amount of protein, usually chicken. I am not hungry for breakfast but figure it will help the metabolism to eat something. Around 3 or 4 pm will have some fruit or veggies if I am hungry. During the summer I was into salads. I purchased a salad spinner thirty years ago and really love it. Keeps the lettuce fresh for a long time. I also use it to help dry whatever greens I may decide to cook. I do not like purchasing the bagged lettuce. To many times they are recalled. I cringe when someone offers me a salad poured straight from the bag.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cringe when someone offers me a salad poured straight from the bag.
Me, too. Even when I bought the bagged salads, I always put them in a colander and washed. You could never convince me those salads were really clean.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I was single until I was 35 and met my dh. I always ate a full meal, on an cook-once-eat-twice (or more) basis. I would regularly make pasta-and-sauce dishes for 4, and freeze the portions I didn't eat. I always have some dairy for dessert.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thankfully, my hubby has changed jobs so he is home in the evenings now but for most of our married life he has traveled for his job - often gone for weeks and months at a time. Because of this, I made lunch my main meal, especially when I was also working. It is just simpler to eat a big lunch. As a result, I'm not hungry when dinner time comes around. Usually I just have a baked potato or bowl of ice cream for dinner - and yes, in front of the TV (because I only ever watch TV in the evening) and/or in front of the computer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts