Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
announcing the beginning of Sinopa's homestead. This year I plan on turning my yard into a garden. Eventually, I do not want grass that has to be cut. I want every space in my yard to be growing something I will have for my family to eat. I don't have a tractor. So my idea is to grow veggies from organic soil bags. Last year I planted tomatoes in organic soil bags and had more tomatoes than all of my friends and family. I saw this idea in Mother Earth News magazine.
1. Cover ground with cardboard
2. Cover cardboard with black garden fabric.
3. make rows to plant using organic soil bags.
4. place concrete stepping stones between rows for a walk pathway.
5. place garden stakes, fences and trellis' in needed areas.

Has anyone done this before? Any ideas?
Thank you
Sinopa

Reactions: Labontet

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
No, haven't done it.

I did dig up almost all of my front yard so I wouldn't have to mow. Have flowers out front. If I had 'edible things' others would help themselves..........and I am not feeding the neighborhood!! Besides, it is the north side.

I haven't used the cardboard.......but do use newspaper for new areas.

Keep us posted on how it goes.......will be interesting.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks about the newspaper idea. that would be easier also. I may plant some flowers. I will research to find out which flowers deter bugs.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
thanks about the newspaper idea. that would be easier also. I may plant some flowers. I will research to find out which flowers deter bugs.
And if you are doing veggies, check out which ones are better when planted side by side and what to avoid. Peppers will cross.

I did a post A LONG TIME AGO..........if still available. What should be planted by what.........

Tidbit of info here.........but much more available.......

Companion Planting

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if you are doing veggies, check out which ones are better when planted side by side and what to avoid. Peppers will cross.

I did a post A LONG TIME AGO..........if still available. What should be planted by what.........

Tidbit of info here.........but much more available.......

Companion Planting
thank you so much! I thought I only had to worry about cucumbers crossing. I will check out the post!

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had a friend who used to garden a lot, she would put the news paper on top of the dirt as well and only have a whole where the plants she planted could come up. She would then cover it all with saw dust that she got free from a local saw mill.

The newspaper kept weeds from coming up so no hoeing and the sawdust and newspaper together kept moisture in the dirt where it was needed.

The best part was that there was no cleanup at the end of the season, they just tilled it all under and it added to the soil.

Also, in lieu of buying seeds if you only need a few, keep in mind that in some cases you can save the seeds out of produce you bought at the store.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Haven't done it but thought about it...I think it would be a fantastic idea...back when I used to live in a lot more country setting people planted flowers in between the plants ever so often..normally marigolds.
If you do this I hope you keep a post log of how it's going and pictures...I think it's a great idea.
Mother always said 16 layers of newspaper by the way..don't know why 16 but 16 nevertheless

Reactions: sinopa27

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Remember, you don't need to worry about peppers or cucumbers crossing unless you plan to save seed from them. Sweet corn taste will be affected if the super sweets cross with not-so-sweet corn but the others are not a problem.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Remember, you don't need to worry about peppers or cucumbers crossing unless you plan to save seed from them. Sweet corn taste will be affected if the super sweets cross with not-so-sweet corn but the others are not a problem.
i do plan on saving the seed, so thank you so much!!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't done it but thought about it...I think it would be a fantastic idea...back when I used to live in a lot more country setting people planted flowers in between the plants ever so often..normally marigolds.
If you do this I hope you keep a post log of how it's going and pictures...I think it's a great idea.
Mother always said 16 layers of newspaper by the way..don't know why 16 but 16 nevertheless
i got it!! 16 layers of newspaper. I having people saving newspaper for me now. lol!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a friend who used to garden a lot, she would put the news paper on top of the dirt as well and only have a whole where the plants she planted could come up. She would then cover it all with saw dust that she got free from a local saw mill.

The newspaper kept weeds from coming up so no hoeing and the sawdust and newspaper together kept moisture in the dirt where it was needed.

The best part was that there was no cleanup at the end of the season, they just tilled it all under and it added to the soil.

Also, in lieu of buying seeds if you only need a few, keep in mind that in some cases you can save the seeds out of produce you bought at the store.
i think I am going to use that black fabric on top of the newspaper so it would be more permanent. I won't be able to till the soil as of yet. thank you!

·
27,948 Posts
Anyone know...Do all those layers of newspaper encourage slugs to take up residence?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slugs! I already have a problem with them crawling up the side of my house.
Now to research about how to rid of them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
slugs! I already have a problem with them crawling up the side of my house.
Now to research about how to rid of them.
Beer!! from what I've heard though I've never actually tried it....never actually had a slug problem

·
Registered
12 Posts
i think I am going to use that black fabric on top of the newspaper so it would be more permanent. I won't be able to till the soil as of yet. thank you!
If it was me, I would cover with a mulch or something else that is bio-degradable. The reason being is that you will zap your soil of nutrients.

Conversely, you could develop a food forest. By doing so, you would maximize the return on investment of space, diversify the yield of the area and contribute to long term soil health and replenishment.

/Edit - As for the slugs, get some chickens and let them enjoy. If the newspaper is under mulch, though, you are essentially composting and it would likely be too hot (provided you have a good carbon-to-nitrogen balance.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.