Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to get this off my chest ( Beware rant ahead)
I am disgusted with my sister but I am trying not to let it show.
My elderly retired parents ( age 76 and 75) needed a car. Their present ones were no longer roadworthy , they had had them for a LONG time.
My mother discussed it with me and she left me with the impression they were looking for an older reliable car which they could drive around town. I was totally in agreement and offered to look around online for them..which I did.

My sister convinced them, although I am sure it took little convincing with my dad after the car salesman got to them) to buy a new 2013 Dodge Ram with all the bells and whistles!!!
I was flabbergasted because:
1.) They are retired and fragile they could never load or haul anything.
2.) My dad due to poor eyesight can not drive at night or when it is cloudy outside and my mom refuses to drive that big of a vehicle.
3.) They are living on one very small pension and social security.
4.) My dad STILL owes and is paying on a student loan ( he obtained his bachelors degree when he was in his 50's ( I know you are thinking how could he still owe on it...well he kept deferring it until they began taking it out of his pension).
5.) Their garage is small and they can not even fit the truck in it.

I am livid with my sister for encouraging them to buy it. I am livid with my mom and dad for going along with it. Because now all my mom does is complain to me about:
1.) The price of gas and how much gas the truck uses
2.) How they can't fit it in the garage
3.) How whenever they go somewhere dad parks at the end of the parking lot (far from the entrance) so no one will hit the truck with their car doors.

My sister when I confronted her about it said "Well, it was on dad's bucket list." :huh: But she knows better because she knows their financial situation and my sister knows Dave Ramsey's principles on money management.

I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I agree that it was not a practical choice, but in the end, your dad (maybe not so much your mom) decided on that vehicle. Based on your last list item, it sounds like your dad loves the truck. Sounds like your dad thinks more with his heart and your mother with her head. I think you need to consider it a done deal and tell your mother that she is complaining to the wrong person.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Oh dear. Sounds like the kerfluffle we had in DH's family when his dad died. MIL sold his old car so her DD#2 could buy a new vehicle for the family that was big enough to ferry MIL around in too. They bought a truck! MIL needed to be hoisted/pushed up and into it! Her DD#1 was so spitting mad she went to the car dealership and bought her dad's old car from them and took it stateside with her. Those two sisters still aren't talking. It's been over 10 years now.

My condolences. :(

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that it was not a practical choice, but in the end, your dad (maybe not so much your mom) decided on that vehicle. Based on your last list item, it sounds like your dad loves the truck. Sounds like your dad thinks more with his heart and your mother with her head. I think you need to consider it a done deal and tell your mother that she is complaining to the wrong person.
When she complains I try to just listen and say nothing...but I think I will begin telling her that I don't want to hear her complaints about it and instead to tell my sister!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next time she should just worry about her own bucket list. And, yes, I would say that to any of my sisters if they did that.
I agree my sister DOES need to worry about her own bucket list....

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh dear. Sounds like the kerfluffle we had in DH's family when his dad died. MIL sold his old car so her DD#2 could buy a new vehicle for the family that was big enough to ferry MIL around in too. They bought a truck! MIL needed to be hoisted/pushed up and into it! Her DD#1 was so spitting mad she went to the car dealership and bought her dad's old car from them and took it stateside with her. Those two sisters still aren't talking. It's been over 10 years now.

My condolences. :(
Oh me and my sister are still talking...but I just can't keep thinking this was the STUPIDIST thing she has EVERY assisted them with....the crazy part is that although my sister encouraged them to get the truck my sister got mad because she believes they were overcharged for it...

Reactions: Debbie-cat

·
Registered
694 Posts
Your parents made the final decision....so it's their fault. Your sister wasn't giving practical advice but they chose to take it. After you said your piece to them all, leave it be. It's not your problem. Tell your mom to complain to your sister, not you. Sorry you have to watch it all happen.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am afraid to just be blunt with my sister and say "This whole deal was STUPID!!" Because my sister is already on the defensive with me regarding any money talks since I became debt free and purchased my house with cash. She thinks that I am bragging...whatever...................

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your parents made the final decision....so it's their fault. Your sister wasn't giving practical advice but they chose to take it. After you said your piece to them all, leave it be. It's not your problem. Tell your mom to complain to your sister, not you. Sorry you have to watch it all happen.
I guess that is the whole deal...You are exactly right my parents made the final decision!!! I just hate to watch the whole thing unfold...but they are orchestrating their own financial demise....I STILL can not get over that the car dealership gave a 60 month car loan with zero down to a pair of 70 year olds....I mean come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
larabelle, I don't think that it's a money issue, and your sister shouldn't see it that way. The vehicle isn't practical for either one of them. Money wise wasn't really a big part of your complaining, but the impracticalness. If they had bought a 2013 bmw convertible they could get in and out easier, easier to drive, and in the garage. I think that you see the money as a waste but from your posts... I think it's the impracticality of the truck that is getting you the most, not the money.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
larabelle, I don't think that it's a money issue, and your sister shouldn't see it that way. The vehicle isn't practical for either one of them. Money wise wasn't really a big part of your complaining, but the impracticalness. If they had bought a 2013 bmw convertible they could get in and out easier, easier to drive, and in the garage. I think that you see the money as a waste but from your posts... I think it's the impracticality of the truck that is getting you the most, not the money.
Its is both the impracticality AND the waste of money!!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
every time your mom complains about the truck, say, "you should trade it in and get a car." Repeat ad infinitum. She will either do it or stop complaining to you.

good luck and ((hugs)).
Good idea...I think I will say that...she will then quickly grow tired of bringing it up.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I might be frustrated also. I think you got really good advice already so I'll just say I'm sorry you have hear about it. I'm sure is frustrating.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I might be frustrated also. I think you got really good advice already so I'll just say I'm sorry you have hear about it. I'm sure is frustrating.
YES it is very frustrating...but I am slowly making peace with it.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
This sounds mean but each time your parents complain about the truck ask them to tell it to your sister as she was the one who helped pick out the vehicle, NOT YOU. Then each time you hear it from your parents, let your sister know so she can get it from both sides.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this sounds mean but each time your parents complain about the truck ask them to tell it to your sister as she was the one who helped pick out the vehicle, not you. Then each time you hear it from your parents, let your sister know so she can get it from both sides.
laughing!!!!!!!!!!
She deserves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts