Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was part of the topic on a fave YouTube channel oh mine, Townsends: Skills that can contribute to your small community

The channel is about 18yh century America, circa revolutionary war. Anyway, the presenter was talking about living in a small community even if a person lived in a large city. The community mostly provided for itself. There would be a black Smith, cobbler, a butter and egg lady or people o rural areas would mostly do their own, a tailor, spinners and weavers, a lumber mill, etc. he noted that in his area there isn't local lumber.

His parting question was ' what skills do you want to learn that could contribute to a community?'

I think on this forum many of us do have skills!
What do we all know how to do that would be of value if the global shipping of stuff ended?

I can cook and preserve food. I like to ferment. I can mend.
I think I live in a relatively self reliant area... local lumber and brick available, custom boot maker, o know hide tanners and moccasin makers, seamstresses, knitters, dairy people, farmers,

What skills do you all have and see on your communities

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
I can grow, cook, and preserve food, though we are nowhere near self sufficient. I can identify some edible wild plants, and some poisonous ones. I know how to catch and clean freshwater fish. I know how to make beer and wine, and how to turn them into hard alcohol. I know how to gather, cut, and store firewood properly, and how to build a fire for heating efficiently (as opposed to just burning up your wood pile) and I know how to run a wood stove. I know wilderness safety, and can tell time and direction from the sky. I know how to collect water through evaporation, and how to build a water filter from common materials. I'm familiar with machine tools and their safety, I can run most wood shop equipment like a table saw or planer, build or repair furniture and cabinetry. I can also drive stick.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I am also a good fire builder. Tulikivi soapstone heats my basement in winter. Hubby is hopeless at starting it.
I can identify numerous trees, shrubs, flowers - wild and cultivated.
I am getting better at identifying stars and planets. This is the reference I'm using:
I would love to learn how to harness and drive a dog-sled.
Fun topic......

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
I built a very simple komatik from dimension lumber one Thanksgiving weekend so we could give mushing a try. It was fun, both the building and the mushing. I've made sled dog harnesses and custom sled bags both as an amateur and professionally. Harnessing a sled dog isn't usually difficult unless you count the twisting, screaming, four-off-the-floor hairball excitement, but I've occasionally put one on upside down. If you're interested in mushing, try to find a book called Race Across Alaska by Libby Riddles.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Let me try to think of things that I can do that may come in handy during a power grid shortage or some type of disaster....

Besides domestic duties, I can tack up horses and ride with /without a saddle, siphon gas from a car, capture water from air, apply first aid and take vital signs, grow plants/veg, dry herbs, catch lizards, catch fish in fresh & salt water, fly a kite, shoot a weapon and bow & arrow, filter muddy water until it's clean, install wood floors ,snowboard, speak other languages....

I didn't think I had any skills.

·
Registered
33 Posts
An interesting topic. I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. I’m in a new-to-me community with a high cost of living almost everyone has problems affording. We are always sharing or bartering.

We have trees that need to be culled and pruned. The neighbour has a firepit, a chainsaw and the know-how to cut small trees and prune branches. He does the job and gets the wood for free.

My sister raised wild blueberries and still has honeybees. We get free wild blueberries and free honey. I make blueberry jam to barter/share around. And because I’m crafty, I’ll take the free beeswax she’s offering to make those beeswax wrappers for the top of bowls to replace plastic wrap. I’ll make extras for gifts.

I can sell things online. I negotiate trades. I gave my other sister some home canning, and she gave me canning jars, square storage containers, a tablecloth, and a couple of water bottles in exchange. Basically she let me shop her thrift store donation pile!

I knit, embroider, sew, quilt, hook rugs, spin. I love to cook and bake. I can things and I ferment things. I draw, do photography, and write.

I can plan things. Hubby says I’m very organized.

I can tutor one on one. I am a good listener and encourager.

I do have wilderness training and camp skills, but they are sadly out of date and I no longer have the equipment.

I do have basic identification skills for plants, trees and birds…but I am sadly lacking for this part of the country. I grew up halfway across the continent.

I can grow things.
Some of these aren’t very practical skills, but they might be transferrable in certain situations

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm trying to come up with a couple of new skills to test out in 2022. I've tried knitting and sewing, in other threads I've described how those are non-starters for me.
Perhaps improve my skills with guns for hunting or maybe archery.
I'm also working on construction skills

1 - 10 of 10 Posts