Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting Monday I will be working 3 babysitting jobs. My schedual will be like this:

Monday-11:00am-3:00pm
Tuesday- 8:30am-5:30pm
Wednesday- 11am-3:00pm and 10pm-7am
Thursday- 11am-3pm and 10pm-7am
Friday- 11am-3pm and 10pm-7am

Now obviously that does not give me to much time to sleep, but hey, I gotta work!

Does anyone have any suggestions for when you are working long, long hours on how to stay awake? I think I will be fine, but I am just worried I am going to get really tired after a while.

Any suggestions on when to sleep? How do I get into a routine when I am working shifts like this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think it will be easy to sleep.... maybe not in the first week as you bond with them.... but definitely create and keep a schedule! with them (all of them, no matter what time, kids like consistency), so they know what is coming next... even in the first week.... for the night time spots, put them to bed......... even if you sit outside the door awake... get them used to you and sleeping!...it will save your sanity!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
when i was saving for our house i use to work
3p to 7a ;
then 3p- 11p- t
hen 3p- 7 a then
3 p -11p and then
3p 7a again .

and i had a 1 yo at home who i used no sitter for in the Ams only in the afternoons after i left for work till dh got home from work .

i got myself use to shorter sleeping intervals.

i would do the 16 hrs shift get home catch maybe 2 hours before the baby woke up - feed him change him play with him - after lunch he was often content to play by himself in playpen i would lie next to the playpen on the couch and i would catch another 2hours before i went in at 3 again - that night i would get off at 11- home by twelve and get a good 8 hrs straight before doing the next 16 .

i was young ( 26 ) - in good health and i knew it was s short term thing - did it for 3 months one sumer and saved the $ for the closing costs on our home .

one part that helped was it being a busy hospital floor !
i didnt use caffiene - gives me palpatations- - i did eat sugarary candy for energy at times . and when i got a 40 min dinner break on the night shift ( had ate on the 3-11 shift ) i would eat a high protien snack like PB crackers and then rest my head and take a little cat nap to refresh me .

i later did 3 12 hour shifts in a hospital when i had 3 kids - the hardest was the second day because 2 always ran right into each other so it was 7p-7a and back at 7 p.
i slept maybe 4-6 hours in 2-3 hour intervals before heading back in - luckily it wasnt 3 nights in a row often !! i had a family member sit with them here at my house for a few hours in the AM but i wasnt always able to sleep .

you find what works with you
for the baby that sleeps but wakes up do they expect you to be awake the whole time ?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to the both of you! I think they do expect me to stay awake the whole time with him because he is only 2 weeks old and they said he wakes up like every 2 hours and wants a bottle and he has his days and nights mixed up and such so I think so because she was worried about me being able to work overnight. I told her I will be fine, and I will but I just need to make sure I get enough sleep ya know? I think all this will be like 3 months tops. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Is there a reason you can't sleep when the infant sleeps? Even if it is semi-slouched in a chair waiting for the next feeding, it's better than no sleep. What else would you do during that time? Even if his days and nights are confused, he is so young all they do is eat, sleep, diaper...repeat. :)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I work long overnight hours and have to stay awake as a home care nurse. My best suggestion is when you find yourself getting sleepy to STAND UP AND MOVE. Even walking in place helps - and I agree with the PP about eating protein.
More importantly, are you having to drive a distance home? That is the dangerous part. I recommend turning on the radio to a talk station and saying every word that is said on the radio - it really wakes you up when you are driving.
Glad you've got $$ coming in again!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a reason you can't sleep when the infant sleeps? Even if it is semi-slouched in a chair waiting for the next feeding, it's better than no sleep. What else would you do during that time? Even if his days and nights are confused, he is so young all they do is eat, sleep, diaper...repeat. :)
Hmm...I am not sure. I don't see why I could not do what you said but I would feel weird asking the mom that, ya know?

I work long overnight hours and have to stay awake as a home care nurse. My best suggestion is when you find yourself getting sleepy to STAND UP AND MOVE. Even walking in place helps - and I agree with the PP about eating protein.
More importantly, are you having to drive a distance home? That is the dangerous part. I recommend turning on the radio to a talk station and saying every word that is said on the radio - it really wakes you up when you are driving.
Glad you've got $$ coming in again!!
Nope, I don't have to drive! My DH will pick me up! Thanks for the suggestions!!!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I think pretty much every new mom or anyone working 2-3 jobs justs gets used to living on 4-6 hours of sleep. I really find it hard to believe they expect you to stay up all night.....babies don't need someone AWAKE all night...especially if they have a monitor, and you are within hearing distance. My neighbor has a nanny who just slept in a recliner when their infant was small. Unless there is a medical condition...and then they should have home nursing help....

·
Registered
479 Posts
I find it even harder to believe that a new Mom values her sleep more than caring for her newborn...but at least it gives you a job.

Be very careful with driving if you get your license and are going to drive to any of these jobs. Didn't Mythbusters do an episode where they proved that driving while sleep deprived is equivalent to driving under the influence???

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Be very careful with driving if you get your license and are going to drive to any of these jobs. Didn't Mythbusters do an episode where they proved that driving while sleep deprived is equivalent to driving under the influence???
This is true! My mom used to work two and three jobs at a time and I can still remember her being pulled over for a suspected DUI. She didn't drink at all....she was just extremely sleep deprived, to the point of actually slurring her words that night! So please be careful!!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Thanks to the both of you! I think they do expect me to stay awake the whole time with him because he is only 2 weeks old and they said he wakes up like every 2 hours and wants a bottle and he has his days and nights mixed up and such so I think so because she was worried about me being able to work overnight. I told her I will be fine, and I will but I just need to make sure I get enough sleep ya know? I think all this will be like 3 months tops. Thanks!!!!
Say what?? What two week newborn has his days and night mixed up? Of course the child needs to eat that often!

I think pretty much every new mom or anyone working 2-3 jobs justs gets used to living on 4-6 hours of sleep. I really find it hard to believe they expect you to stay up all night.....babies don't need someone AWAKE all night...especially if they have a monitor, and you are within hearing distance. My neighbor has a nanny who just slept in a recliner when their infant was small. Unless there is a medical condition...and then they should have home nursing help....
True.

I find it even harder to believe that a new Mom values her sleep more than caring for her newborn...but at least it gives you a job.
Yeah, weird. And a total stranger to take care of their new born at that!!

Oh, I know I sound negative and I'm glad you found a job and I hope that through all this passing of time, you guys will find your future. :) You are strong.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Don't worry, you'll be fine. Is there a microwave in the baby's room? Then you can easily prepare the formula without leaving the room. You'll be up for about 15 minutes feeding and cleaning the baby, and then you can both go back to sleep.

For the nights you don't work nightshifts: think 'to h*ll with the world, I'm going to sleep' and turn in early. Let no-one distract you and really put yourself first. Babies are much easier to deal with if you're well-rested.

Reactions: AnW819

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW maybe we all prayed a little too hard.lol. Good luck w/ the babies and all.
LOL!!! That made me laugh!!!

I agree with you about the mom not wanting to care for her newborn...but it gives me a job.

Say what?? What two week newborn has his days and night mixed up? Of course the child needs to eat that often!
I am not sure what you mean...were you trying to be sarcastic? I very much do know that a newborn needs to eat that often and such...

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Is there a microwave in the baby's room? Then you can easily prepare the formula without leaving the room. You'll be up for about 15 minutes feeding and cleaning the baby, and then you can both go back to sleep.

For the nights you don't work nightshifts: think 'to h*ll with the world, I'm going to sleep' and turn in early. Let no-one distract you and really put yourself first. Babies are much easier to deal with if you're well-rested.
I will be downstairs with the baby, and the babys crib is right next to the couch so it won't be to bad :)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
AnW819 said:
I am not sure what you mean...were you trying to be sarcastic? I very much do know that a newborn needs to eat that often and such...
No, that was a response to the parents about what they told you about their child having the days and nights mixed up :)

Reactions: AnW819

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hey! I've been gone a few days..wwhen I left you had one baby sitting job....what happened??? The money will be great but don't forget to take care of yourself or it'll be hard to take care of others!!! But I gotta say...You're not lazy!!! Way to go!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Super!

you should be able to catch some zzzz's between feedings.

formula fed babies tend to stay full longer than breast fed babies - so hopefully in a few weeks the baby can sleep for longer periods.

I'm confused though - is mom home at night? or is she working?

I think I missed that part -

·
Registered
844 Posts
Regarding the daytime jobs: would it be possible/allowed to do your laundry/ironing while the baby is asleep? Or did the parent ask you to do light housework for them?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update! Things are going a lot better than I thought!! Tomorrow is my last day til my weekend and I am feeling good. Last night I did the over night job, which was not bad at all. Went home and slept for 2 hours and was tired at my next job, but I ended up waking up. Then came home and slept for 5 hours and it was the best sleep I ever slept and now I am not even tired and I am at my overnight job!

So its working out well :)

I do have some bad news, but I will post that in another thread.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I hate to say it, but I quit babysitting job #1.

That was the one that was 4 hours a day from 11:15-3:15pm and $5 an hour and 15 minutes away.

I just could not do it. Friday night/Saturday morning I was SO tired at my over night job I could not even focus. It was hard. The over night job is only 3 days but its 9 hour days and $7 an hour so the money it better than the $5 an hour job and I also have this Tuesday job which is $8 an hour for 9 hours, so I will still be making almost $300 a week.

Its the weekend now and I am just SO tired. It really caught up to me and DH and dad said they do not think its worth it, and I should really think about my health and I did. Being this tired was not worth it.

It was 6 hours of sleep a night which would be fine but it was 2 hours and then another 9 hours of work til I can get the other 4 hours of sleep.

I really hope I do not regret this =/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts