1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from our sales ad this week
Deli Sliced corned beef $7.59 a pound
raw need to be corned cooked $1.59 a pound

For a $6 a pound difference I'll gladly pop a raw one in the crockpot and we will have shredded corned beef instead of sliced corned beef on our Ruben Sandwiches.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes big difference in price.I always cook my own,put in the fridge overnight and slice on the meat slicer the next day.Just as good as the deli meat,and better for you I would think.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes big difference in price.I always cook my own,put in the fridge overnight and slice on the meat slicer the next day.Just as good as the deli meat,and better for you I would think.
Before my dad died he was talking about getting a meat slicer. He was going to let us borrow it. We could have shared knowledge too.

I've been nervous about buying a meat slicer since I didn't get the shared knowledge. Are they really expensive? So you cook your meat different?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I couldn't find it under $3.18 but I got it any way and cooked it in the slowcooker..then cooked potatoes and cabbage in the broth..It was really good..

·
Registered
656 Posts
|I also cook the day before and put it in the fridge overnight. But with cabbage and potatoes for dinner, I slice it about 1/4 inch thick. I like a hefty slice or 2, not the thin deli slices.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My mom taught me to cook my cornbeef in crock pot (1 cup of water) when done. Lay on a piece of foil and wrap it. then she wrapped a brick in foil and placed upon the foiled wrapped cornbeef. this makes the fat and stuff more solid. so when you cut it,it is less shreddie...did i say that right.. i do it all the time, makes more meatier pieces instead of shreddie.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Before my dad died he was talking about getting a meat slicer. He was going to let us borrow it. We could have shared knowledge too.

I've been nervous about buying a meat slicer since I didn't get the shared knowledge. Are they really expensive? So you cook your meat different?
I like to cook mine in a dutch oven with water and put on the woodstove to simmer until tender.
I have had my meat slicer since 1986 and still works great.Mine is plastic and is very sturdy and easy to clean.(all comes apart)It has a dial that you can set to any thickness.I also slice my homemade bread on it.
Not sure of todays prices,but don't think they are expensive.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I never thought of cooking it and shredding it for sandwiches! THANK YOU for that great idea! I bought two flats today ($2.59/pound here) and will put them in the Crock-Pot to simmer tomorrow, then shred and freeze. Can't wait to test this out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts