Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so all these discussions about "i hate/love/dunno how i feel about WallyWorld"... i wanted to ask something...

how often do you (at least try to) shop at small businesses and/or mom&pop shops?

how do you go about finding them in your neck of the woods?

i know where i live most people talk about the big chains when they shop (for clothes, food, household items, appliances, you name it!).

but rarely I hear someone say "I visited this small shop outside of..."

Are there any/many where you live?

We have some specialty shops around here (mostly antiques or wooden made things... but nothing like mom&pop shops, that I'm aware of!).

:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I live in a town that has three colleges and a community college. So there are a ton of small business shops which sell antiques, clothing, novelty supplies, book stores, restuarants, jewelry, and kitchen/household supplies.

I have never bought their clothing-way too expensive for me. I have occassionally shopped the other stores for gifts, one time purchases, love the local book store, but atlas I stopped buyting those too.

I'd say the only reliable support they get from me personally, is the mom and pop convenience/small grocery stores and the restuarants. I buy lunch meat and cheese from a local mom and pop store.

I'm not really boycotting Walmart, they are in business (like every other business) to make money. But after reviewing last years spending habits, I gave Walmart over $7,000 of my money. Which was mostly groceries, some gifts, some clothes, and household items. I decided that I did not want to support Walmat quite so much this year and I have been doing my shopping at Kroger, and by watching sales and couponing, I have been spending lots less. So far, year to date, Walmart has only received around 300.00!! But I know I can do even better!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I shop at proprietorship type businesses more than I do chains. I even go to franchises, but they are owned (usually) by people who live in the area. We have two weekly papers that are circulated in our area, most small businesses advertise in one or the other so they aren't hard to find.

I do shop at Meijers & Plumbs for my groceries & household stuff, but they are Michigan based companies...kind of loyal to Michigan based companies being a Michigander and all.

·
Registered
820 Posts
We actually have a long street with tons of little shops. Though I don't shop there much, they do really well with the tourists. We're not too far from the fingerlakes and we have a very popular museum here.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I live in a town population 3500. We have 2 grocery stores..one locally owned and one is a small midwest chain, I get most of my groceries from these 2 stores, I just buy what's on sale. We also have a Dollar General Store and a Fred's and I get my cleaning supplies and paper products from them. The closest Walmart is 20 miles away. Being a home health nurse, I go to the town with walmart and aldis once a week for my job so if I need anything from there I try to do it on that day since the company pays me mileage. But as I have said before, walmart is dangerous for me due to impulse buys lol.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I live in a community with very little shopping opportunities at all. Kinda rural here. But we do utilize our local IGA grocery store pretty often.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've had bad experinces shopping at mom and pop shops in my area... for one they charge to much in comparison to chain stores and often have the same brands and products...
minus the
snobby attitudes. The population of my city is about 330, 000 people.

·
Registered
908 Posts
When i'm broke I shop where I get the best prices. When I can afford to be choosier I shop where I get the best customer service.

There is a mom and pop gas station in town that I do try to frequent just because the owners are always nice to my girls and give them suckers when I buy gas there.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I shop at much as possible at local businesses......there are a few local ethnic groceries that you can pick up produce much less expensive at.....and I am very excited about the local farmers market opening back up this spring.....

I really like our local used book store....they will do anything to help you and their staff seem alot more knowledgeable about books, (JMHO)

Personally I was raised by my folks to try to support the local business people because these people live in your community.

leezza

·
Registered
908 Posts
I love the farmers market here in town. The fruit and veggies are so much better than in the stores.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts