Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went "shopping" out in my garage a few weeks back and found a small, 2-quart Rival crock pot I had forgotten I had. Not sure of the size but I'd guess maybe 2 quarts. I rarely use my regular crock pot because it makes too much for one person. This size is perfect for 1-3 meals. Would be great for couples, too.

I had bought a large roast on sale a few weeks ago and cut it into 3 sections to freeze. I used my "new" crock pot to cook that a few days ago and it was great! Onion soup mix, a few veggies thrown in variety of pot roast. I've also used it to cook kidney beans and they turned out fantastic so I'm cooking another batch today. (and I have a wonderful recipe for kidney beans if anyone is interested). Another afternoon I put a frozen pkg of spaghetti sauce in it, set it on low for a couple of hours and after a couple of stirs, it tasted better than fresh made.

I seem to recall getting mine at Walmart and thought this might be helpful info for other singles.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I have one in the camper I've never used. I'm of two minds about that, really. It would be okay if we're at the campsite, but then if we're around all the time, we like to tinker with campfire cooking and Dutch oven cooking outside. If we're not going to be at the campsite all day, then I wouldn't be comfortable leaving it unattended because most of the time we camp in bear country. Bears don't scare me much but I'd rather they don't tear up my trailer just to get a tasty meal that's cooking inside.

I just bought a new five-quart Crock-Pot Saturday. That's a good size for us. We get several meals out of it. I made a big pot of barley-beef-wild rice soup last night. Yummy!

But I should try the smaller one at home. Do you have to adjust the cooking times because of using a smaller amount of ingredients?

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
We got one to put on a timer for making oatmeal in the winter. Wake up on a cold dark morning to fresh hot creamy oatmeal, yum!

I do not adjust cooking times.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have to adjust the cooking times because of using a smaller amount of ingredients?
I've just sort of made things up as I've gone. The roast was fork tender. Done. The kidney beans were soft. Done. I did find the little recipe booklet that came with it but I haven't tried any of the recipes yet. It only has 10 recipes. Just glancing, tho', it looks like most of the cooking times are similar - beef stew 10-12 hours low, 5-6 high chili 8 hours low, 5 hours high.
For me, it's perfect. Some leftovers but not enough to make me hate eating them (thinking chicken noodle soup! :lol:). In fact, if I EVER run out of chicken noodle soup I may try that recipe in the little crock pot.

And talking about bears...I really think I could face a bear with less fear than one of those "fuzzy bunnies." :(

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Black bears rarely attack humans, but they can be very destructive if they think there is food to be had. Raccoons are almost as bad.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a really good idea, Contrary Housewife and when I go back to work with regular hours will be great. I love breakfast, I love oatmeal. But trying to find the time to fix anything when rushed trying to dress, take the dog out, and get out on time means breakfast is usually skipped. I'll definitely remember the timer thing.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I have been looking at the smaller crockpots as well but decided to stick with the one my mother used while I was growing up - large one. Sure it makes A LOT but I've learned to portion out leftovers into meal sizes and freeze whatever I've made (soups, stews, sauces etc). I find it does make life a lot easier on days where we're all blah (dad, DH and I) and forget to plan dinner. Thawing doesn't take long since I freeze everything flat in a ziploc.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be inclined to do that, too, Libby, except my freezer is rather small. Because I have to cook for my dog, it stays rather full of turkey and chicken portions for him - plus his frozen veggies. If I get to move next year into a bigger place, I plan on getting one of those small chest freezers. They have one at Sam's for about $150 and I think it would be well worth it.

Reactions: Libby

·
4,028 Posts
I use my 2 quart frequently. My only concern is that it gets too hot and my food is done way before the "calculated" time so I usually use it when I'm home so I can keep a closer eye on things.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rarely used my regular crock pot for the same reason, Ceashels. I would be away from home longer than the number of hours called for in the recipe and I'd end up with mush. For me, they are more ideal for days when I'm going to be busy, be in and out - that sort of thing. I am happy, tho', that I found my "new" crock pot. I think I'll be using it much more frequently. The kidney beans I cooked last night were great. About 3 hearty servings for the normal person, but I ate 2 hearty servings last night! :p

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I have a small crock and use if frequently in the winter.........great for the small roast and a few veggies. Have not used it when I am going to be gone....but it just has worked out that way.......no plan.

If I have room in my freezer, I prefer using the larger one.........gotta love leftovers!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts