Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flying ants here had a nice Borax :pblow: this evening. It's about time.

We started discovering them last year right around the time that the weather was turning colder. We didn't have too big of an issue with them then and we took to vacuuming them up. The problem seemed to go away...

until yesterday.

We had a few instances of flying ants in the dining room area and smushed a few of them (because I was tired of using the vacuum). Tonight, we had quite a few of them so DH pried the baseboard off and took a look.

He discovered a hole in the subfloor and that was where they were coming from!

So after dinner, he went over to vacuum them up again and there was about 50 of them. After dinner, I took him downstairs and showed him where the insulation had crumbled onto the shelf below where I thought they were coming in at. He took out the piece of insulation and found the crack, but there were no ants on the insulation nor crawling under the subfloor. So, he thinks that they're coming in through the walls.

I had him run to Safeway to get some Borax and after his return, we proceeded to pour some on either side of the crack. Then I decided to push up a pretty good wall of it against the spot where they were coming in (and a long line down both sides of that crack, in case they tried to come in a few inches down the wall).

I haven't seen one since.

We're going to leave the Borax there and put the baseboard back on after a while. I haven't seen any coming through and hopefully, they're eating it and taking it back to the nest. The last thing I need right now is an exterminator bill.

So Borax, I love you!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
What kind of ants? Big ones? Were they flying in or flying out?

Borax doesn't work on carpenter ants, and if you see fifty of those inside, they are eating your house. If it's just little garden ants, use the Raid borax syrup stuff, and squirt it outside all over your foundation.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We need to do something about ants. This was a very timely story. Thanks.

Part of our problem is that our landlord is responsible for outside yard care and he hasn't done a thing this year. I hardly dare turn on the sprinklers to water the garden because it will encourage the out of control grass and weeds to keep growing as well.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what kind of ants they are. I just know they have wings and freak me out. I don't like bugs. :(

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're pretty big and nah, they aren't termites.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Those are carpenter ants, and yes, borax does work on them, but you need to find the nest, or they keep coming back....We had an issue with them in a garage wall(detached thankfully).

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
The ants here just walk right through it. :(

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I mix it with icing sugar(powdered sugar).

When on the acreage we had a window on the quanset that was infested, we removed it and boarded it up, but the ants were inside. We did that, an they were the big carpenter ants with wings. With in 48 hours we had oodles and oodles of dead ants. But straight borax was ignored. The sugar is the key.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts