Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:yikes:

I was planting the calla lilies last night and there was a stubborn tree root in my way. I reached over to try and yank it out and saw a SNAKE. I had almost grabbed it by mistake. :yikes: I had the shovel with me and chopped him with it but I was afraid to let up because he would not stop moving. SO and DD are inside and I am outside screaming to the top of my lungs. Finally SO comes out and gets all p*ssed at me because its just a little snake. Then he gets the shovel and cuts it up and tells me that it was a copperhead - a poisonous snake :surprise: in my flowerbed near the house. I made him stand there with me while I finished planting the calla lilies. As if that wasn't bad enough, he had to tell me that there are probably lots more and that to make sure I listen and freeze if I hear the rattle sound. I couldn't believe it, but yep he has seen rattlesnakes there before. Of course we are way deep in the country, surrounded by woods, but I thought with the dogs, cats, and goats that the snakes would just stay in the woods, but no....... they want my flower bed. Anyone want to come help me plant the rest?????

pat

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

In the last few weeks we've had one in the backyard (dh almost stepped on it and one of the dogs was bitten on the nose) and then two nights ago I opened the garage door and there was one right by the door and it came into the garage! All I could do was stand and scream - dh had to shoo it out with a push broom. I HATE SNAKES!!!!!

Sending you big (((((HUGS)))))!!!!!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Be careful ! Most snakes won't harm you !

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I HATE SNAKES WITH A PASSION. THEY ARE THE ONLY THING I REALLY CAN'T STAND TO BE CLOSE TO. Hopefully they are gone now.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Yikes Pat, I don't think I can come and help you plant, I am deathly afraid of SSSSSsnakes. They don't even have to be poisonous to hurt me, just the sight of them makes me hurt myself trying to get away. LOL We have lots of diamondback rattlers in our area, I am always on alert when I am outside.

Be safe and watch out for those slithering monsters.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
:yikes: (too bad there isn't a smiley of someone up in a tree. that's here id be, lol) Snakes freak me out too. I read somewhere a trick to keep them out of yer yard is to soak lots of moth balls in water over night or so. Then take the water and pour it around the area you wnt to keep em out of. From what I understand, their bellies are very sensitive and the chemicals in the moth ball water burn them. There is also stuff you an get at garden stores that you put around the perimiter of your property to keep em out. I have never tried any of these. I lived in the Mojave for 8 years and never saw a snake there. (plenty of lizards and weird bugs, creepy spiders, jackrabbits, etc...but never a snake for whatever reason.) Then I move to the Rocky Mountains and find the creatures all over my yard!!! Just garden snakes, nothing poisionous, but still creepy. I made the neighbor once come over and get rid of a snake for me...it was just a gardne snake, and he made fun of me for a long time. :eek:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snake update - I put out lots and lots of mothballs last night. Hope that keeps them away.

pat

·
27,948 Posts
You'll get no help from me Pat. You're on your own. :D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
You know, there is a reason that God cursed the serpent and it now has to crawl on it's belly!!!;) I too HATE snakes!!!! The only good snake is a dead snake even if it is non poisonous!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts