Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skippy Peanut Butter - They don't look different in size or shape. But recently, the jars developed a dimple in the bottom that slices the contents to 16.3 ounces from 18 ounces -- about 10% less peanut butter.

Kellogs Cereal boxes - The reduction wouldn't be obvious to shoppers walking down the cereal row. From the front, the size of the box remains the same; only the depth was reduced.

Dial shaved its soap bars to 4 ounces from 4.5 ounces but kept the size and look of its packaging the same.

Quilted Northern -shaved half an inch off the width of its Ultra Plush product

Breyers, Edy's, Dreyer's Ice cream containers are getting shorter or not as wide all around. They are not half gallons anymore.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don't ya just love it?! Most manufacturer just figure we (as consumers) won't notice or like my DH says they must think we are stupid!! Your list could just on and on!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah I've been noticing the same thing, except the dimple on the bottom of the pb jar. Wow! Now that takes a good eye. The only thing that protects us as consumers is that they have to by law put the size of the product (# of ozs or whatever) otherwise I doubt they would on their own.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think they are really sneaky the way they change the sizes and try to keep everything else the same - like they are trying to get by with something.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I don't think they care if we notice it or not. I do remember when packages would boast of a "NEW BIGGER SIZE" or "20oz FREE!". Probably the end of that unless it's to advertise the "old" bigger size! :idea::angry:

The price of gas came down so now what is their excuse to price gouge us with the food? And what about our heat and electric bills? Once they raise the rates they don't bring them back down, do they? :angry::angry:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Probably the end of that unless it's to advertise the "old" bigger size!
you got this right!
years ago i noticed a certain brand of laundry detergent i bought often had shrunken in size... a little upset, but used to this type of "behaviour" from our Product Providers... I noticed almost a year after several ounces "disappeared" that there was a tv commercial for "new and improved"... it was the ORIGINAL size I used to buy at... but MORE expensive. :angry:

I've noticed the "dimple" on the bottom of most plastic jars. Glass jars are skinner (circumference) as are things in boxes (like cereal or your Hamburger Helper & other pre-made boxed items).
when a "new" shape of something comes out (think about the smucker's "squeezable" jellies), are in smaller sizes too.
bottles of syrups too!

I don't buy this stuff myself, I make 85% (or more) of the foods we consume in the house (i buy mostly produce but almost never anything pre-made of any type). If it's something special (jams, syrups, etc.) I get from local producers. And there are no fillers there! ;)

But good post... let's post more of the things we find or know about so others can beware as well! :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I really noticed this with Bryers ice cream. Well to heck with them I found the stores brand in the old Bryers size to be a much superior product.:punch:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I suppose it's only the frugal that pay attention and most people seem to just not be frugal. I make purchase decisions based on price per ounce but get into a habit of just buying what we usually get rather than keeping an eye on them to be sure they're still the best deal each week the way I should so thank-you for mentioning this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can we make a complain to the Manufacture? Maybe they will send us a coupon.

·
Registered
841 Posts
This has been going on for awhile now. This website below gives you some of the most familiar brands and some things to watch for. The companies doesn't like it when it told that they are keeping prices the same but packing in smaller amounts.
But this guy gives you some great examples on what companies are doing this!
The title is "Shoppers Beware", at least they are letting us know!
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2008-06-11-shrinking-sizes_N.htm

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yeah, fool the dumb consumer. This is why it takes me twice as long to shop anymore!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Sigh, whenever I see this - which is getting to be more frequent - I ask myself if I can make the product myself. DH and I have been discussing processing our own pb. We used to do it, but got out of the habit. It might be time to start again.

I generally do not buy cereal, unless DH specifically requests it. Then we do a careful comparison shop. Mostly we've replaced it with hot cereal, hm pancakes, hm muffins, etc.

I don't buy soap at the stores anymore. I buy from small independently owned businesses. I pay more, but I get a better quality soap. Lately I've had the opportunity to check out Amway's bar soap. It's a huge bar for $3, larger and thicker than Olay or Ivory. And it doesn't go to mush overnight. It lasts. Also, it doesn't dry out my skin. That's my next source for soap.

Generally we don't eat ice-cream. But, having said that, we bought a container at the store yesterday. We buy generic ice-cream normally, but this was an exception...we were trying to duplicate Boston Pizza's Chocolate Brownie Addiction. We succeeded, but I noticed the $6.99 ice-cream container had quite a hike up the the sides before they put the bottom in the container. Not impressed. We've toyed with the idea of an electric ice-cream maker for years. Now might be the time...

Jean

·
Registered
494 Posts
I really noticed that this past grocery shopping trip. The packaging looks the same but when you compare ounces that's when it becomes noticable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I did find Hell'sman Mayo today 2/5.00, and they were boosting a larger jar, so you know sales must really have dropped off, I doubt it will last. I think it was a 30% increase in amount of mayo, that's huge for these days.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
And let's not forget that this affects our recipes.
Normally when a recipe called for one can of evaporated milk
I would just get a can and dump it in. But recently found that
the recipe wasn't coming out right or wasn't moist enough.

Sure enough I had to start opening a second can to make
up the difference in less amount in the first can. Grrrr... :cangry:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I also noticed this with the OJ - some are 64oz & others are 58 oz. The "big" containers are also smaller. Sneaky lil suckers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts