Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to can some green beans. I have been using a water bath canner to process my beans for years. I went online to look up something and saw where it is no longer recommended to can green beans this way. WHAT!!!!!! When did this happen???
I have an Aunt who is 89 years old and has been canning since being a child even before they had electricity. She was shocked to hear this. Also, she uses another method by cooking them completely and putting the green beans in hot jars and not using a canner. She said she has never had any problems. In fact, 2 days ago.....she just did a few quarts.

So.......my canner is ready and my green beans are ready to be canned and I don't have a pressure canner!! What do I do?? I can't freeze them.

Help! Please......should I be worried??

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Considering botulism is one of the most toxic substances in the world and has been used for germ warfare, yes, I think it makes sense to follow long-accepted safety guidelines. Also keep in mind, you cannot tell by looking at a food if it contains botulism or not.

I've been around canning since the 1960's and even then it was considered unsafe to use a water bath canner for low acid foods such as green beans. This isn't new news by any means.

Worse yet would be merely packing the hot food into jars and then letting it seal without processing. Many germs, though not botulism, are killed by heating the jars in water and getting the internal temps up to the boiling point and sustaining that temp for a period of time. Not processing the jars doesn't allow that to happen.

Botulism spores are common all over the world, and will thrive in the environment inside a jar of canned food, if they're not killed off. They are heat resistant, and that's why it's unsafe to can low-acid foods at the boiling point in a water bath canner. Low acid foods must be processed at 240-250 degrees, which cannot be achieved using a water bath canner.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for this advice. I guess I was very lucky to have not killed myself and family by canning green beans in a water bath canner. So.....I went out and bought a brand new pressure canner. I am happy because I am no longer limited in my canning now!! Let the canning begin!!! Ready.....set......can!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Obtaining a pressure canner is when your world really opens up. It's somewhat surprising just how much can be safely canned with a pressure canner. Now you're going to be limited by how many empty jars you have, as well as how much empty space you have.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel extremely different just by this one purchase!! I have the canning fever!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Congrats!

Check extension service websites for the most up to date safety guidelines for canning. There's usually good info there. Every state has an extension service and will have it listed somewhere on the state's main web page. Or just Google for "[your state or county] extension service" and you'll find it. And of course, you can use the info on other county's or state's extension services, too.

It really is a whole new world.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats!

Check extension service websites for the most up to date safety guidelines for canning. There's usually good info there. Every state has an extension service and will have it listed somewhere on the state's main web page. Or just Google for "[your state or county] extension service" and you'll find it. And of course, you can use the info on other county's or state's extension services, too.

It really is a whole new world.
I will be certain to do that right away!!
I am going to the farmer's market in the morning to see what I can find.
yay!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts