Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few months now we've been getting free food from a friend of a friend who volunteers for a food bank. They get to take home all of the food that doesn't fit in the freezers, and they share. The bulk of it is meat, bread, eggs and cheese.

I found out recently that this may be ending, and I want to make the most out of what I have. I have been too lax about letting things go bad, thinking it wasn't a big deal because it was "free."

So, I have about 15 dozen eggs in my fridge right now. I'd like to accomplish two things, get some of these eggs out of my fridge, and make some meals to freeze.

So far I have some egg scrambles going in muffin tins in the oven. I will freeze them for easy breakfasts for the kids. Any more ideas on make and freeze meals from eggs?

Thanks!

P.S. I also have quite a bit of bread that I'd like to use as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've made egg mcmuffins and frozen them individually wrapped in saran wrap. I then put about 10 in a gallon freezer bag, its handy for the kids to microwave in the mornings.

Another idea, although not frozen, is pickled eggs and beats in a large glass jar...perfect for Easter.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Eggs + Bread = Strata!! yum!

Reactions: itsahumanzoo

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Muffins, most recipes use 2-3 eggs.

Lemon curd also uses multiple eggs.

Eggs can be scrambled and stored in airtight bags to cook later.

There are cookie recipes that use either multiple egg whites, or multiple yolks. Some of those might freeze.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
955 Posts
breakfast burritos...

If you look in cookie books, you'll often see a sidebar for cookies that use excess whites and cookies that use excess yolks. You could make those and freeze them.

Lemon curd

Also, you can freeze eggs: How to Freeze Eggs | eHow.com

Reactions: pinetree

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Cook up a boat load of French toast...it freezes beautifully...You can knock out almost a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread at once.
Don't forget about waffles...regular...Belgium...different flavors...
Pancakes...cookies...Fritattas...cornbread or cornbread muffins...flavored, sweet or savory muffins...cakes...

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
A few months ago I made up a bunch of sausage & egg muffins and froze them. Saran wrapped them. Take out, pop in microwave and go.

Omelettes for supper are quick and easy.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tomorrow is DH's day to bring breakfast to work. (His department alternates bringing breakfast each Friday.)

I have this soaking in the fridge.
Cinnamon Baked French Toast | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

I used a dozen eggs and instead of milk and cream I used almond milk and coconut milk since I already had them on hand. I used big baguette I had in the freezer that was a little too stale to eat on it's own. I think it will be good and it freed up some freezer room!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Here is a meal to give to the family. It is really hardy and a little weird looking but tastes great.

Dice one medium onion
two stalks of celery
cut up 1 pound of bacon

1 dozen hardboiled eggs, peeled and sliced thin
1 can mushroom soup
milk
salt and pepper
toasted english muffins

Saute onion, celery, and bacon until bacon starts to brown.
Open mushroom soup and poor on top of onion, celery, and bacon. Pour milk into mushroom soup can to top. Also add to mixture. Stir to heat through. Add eggs and stir gently.

Spoon mixture over english muffins.

We always called it skiers breakfast.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have made this a couple of times and we enjoy it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-egg-casserole-75795

The changes I made were I 1/2 the recipe and use an 8X8 pan.

Instead of the fresh tom.and green chili"s I use a can of drained Rotel tomato's and I use whatever cheese I have on hand.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have 4 dozen in my fridge ready to make pickled eggs, popovers, egg salad or a big batch of french toast.

I wish I had more than just the 4 dozen. My crew can eat a dozen just for breakfast alone.

Good Luck. Oh, what about giving some away?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't believe I haven't thought of breakfast burritos! I have some tortillas in the freezer as well, and tons of salsa and cheese. I will make some of those for sure. If I can find a good price on english muffins I would love to make some breakfast sandwiches too. And French Toast I do sometimes make extra for the kids for easy breakfasts but for some reason I didn't think to freeze it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Eggs - scrambled with a splash of water and poured into ice cube trays freeze nicely. Each 'cube' is about 1 egg when added to recipes later. (I know, doesn't use em up, but they do keep well for a long time in a baggie in the freezer.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts