Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 4th blender I've gone through in as many years. I don't want to keep buying a new blender every year. The latest one to kick the bucket is my magic bullet.
The same thing seems to happen every time, the motor burns out. I don't know why. It's not like I'm blending concrete. The magic bullet broke when I was blending a few frozen strawberries with some juice to make a smoothie. I think it should be able to handle that no problem.

:grrr:

·
Registered
719 Posts
This is the 4th blender I've gone through in as many years. I don't want to keep buying a new blender every year. The latest one to kick the bucket is my magic bullet.
The same thing seems to happen every time, the motor burns out. I don't know why. It's not like I'm blending concrete. The magic bullet broke when I was blending a few frozen strawberries with some juice to make a smoothie. I think it should be able to handle that no problem.

:grrr:
I don't use mine very frequently, but I have used it with frozen fruit to make smoothies, as well as frozen cubes of yogurt. My sister was here a few weeks back, and it definitely got a good workout making Daquiris LOL. I've had ours for 3 or 4 years now. I got it at Big Lots, believe it or not. It's an Elite brand, and I think it only cost $15-$20.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I had the same happen to me until I bought the glass Hamilton beach. I love this blender, it's never had trouble or broke! I have had it for about 5 years now. I also use stick immersion blenders, one for my soaps and one for all the sauces I have produced this year for the freezer or canning.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I am in the same boat as you, except mine is coffee makers. We are on our fourth or fifth in three years. The most recent coffee maker death occurred last week. The darn thing was only three months old. Needless to say, Mr. Coffee is getting a complaint letter from us.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Can honestly say I have never had this happen. I have had a couple of oster belnders that I purchased at thrift stores cheaply and then purchased new blades and pitcher from the manufacturerer. Still had less than $25.00 in each of them. I gave them away when I moved as I didn't have much room and I could use the food processor to do anything they did.

My suggestion is to buy a better quality product.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sorry to go OT, but Neeley.. about the coffee makers.

Try a percolator coffee pot. You know, like the one from the 50's! Those things rock! We had the coffee pot problem a couple years ago. They would last a couple months. We bought the percolator and DH has even dropped it and it's still working. :)

Back to blenders.. We have had ours for almost 20 years and it still runs. Maybe we don't use ours enough? lol

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It may be time to realize that buying cheaply isn't the most frugal route. Sometimes, spending more with longevity in mind is the most frugal idea.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I agree with buying quality if you can afford it. I've had a Vita Mix blender for almost 40 years, and it still works great.

Reactions: Josephhgoins

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Sorry to go OT, but Neeley.. about the coffee makers.

Try a percolator coffee pot. You know, like the one from the 50's! Those things rock! We had the coffee pot problem a couple years ago. They would last a couple months. We bought the percolator and DH has even dropped it and it's still working. :)

Back to blenders.. We have had ours for almost 20 years and it still runs. Maybe we don't use ours enough? lol

Okay, re coffee makers? We make 3-5 pots of coffee a DAY here and we'd go through a new coffee pot about every 3-5 years. I got sick of it, so the last one I bought was an ALL METAL French press. I figure I can always find a way to make hot water and the simpler coffee pot the better. I've never used perc coffee makers, I don't have anything against them; I just found the French Press first.

Re blenders...I replaced my old "beehive" Warning blender, a refurbished one, my dad had one I inherited, it died 10 years after I got it... with a stick blender. I love itl. i can buzz soups, make drinks, etc. with one tool. It lives in a drawer and I use it almost every day during the winter, and we've had it for 3 years now. i cannot imagine going back to a jar blender!

My :cents:

Judi

·
Registered
867 Posts
DH and I loved our french press, but it kept breaking. It had some glass in it. I never found an all metal one! I think the french press coffee is the best, but the percolator is almost as good.

I love the look of that Kitchen Aid blender :D

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
My dh has gone thru 3 blenders, he even broke our free cusinart that we got from his work christmas party. That was an expensive one too! He makes a smoothie every morning even on the weekends. We got one at k-mart An Osterizer 14 speed and haven't had any problems with it and decent price.

Reactions: thesightofoneself

·
Registered
379 Posts
We have an Oster.....got it when we got married 24 years ago...and it's still going strong.

I really really wanted one of those magic blenders....(after watching all those informercials)~but then I read that they burn out quickly, so I'm glad I didn't buy one.

Coffeemaker???? BUNN~Hands down best coffee maker [email protected]

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Here's a link to the amazon sale page for the coffee maker we've got. Expensive? Yes...but if it never breaks, no!

Amazon.com: La Cafetiere TQ080200 Thermique 8 Cup Thermal Coffee Press, Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41Wmlbfkd4L

Our biggest problem with it is that it cools down too quickly. One of my long-term projects is to make a "cozy" for it. Someday soon...

Judi

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have a kitchen aide .I love it.I bought it 4 years ago and paid $99 for it it was a nice sale regular $130. My sister is buying the one that montel williams advertises it has 100 year warranty on motor. She uses heres several times a day because her husband had a stroke 12 years ago and he can only have semi solid foods.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
You sound like me with immersion blenders. I stopped buying them because I kept on burning out the motor. It has been a couple years since I had the last one. My intention was to wait and save up for a really heavy duty one. But I haven't missed it. I think one day I will invest in a vitamix.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I vote for Vitamix too. I love that it's so versatile. Every once in a while, they offer reconditioned ones at a discount

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I agree with the vita mix lovers but WOW the price is too much for me to swallow.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I have heard other people say their 'bullet' broke easy too........sorry this has happened to you. That sucks.

Haven't had any problems with my tools/appliances..........but have been wondering about the stick blenders, thinking about getting one.....glad to see the comments about them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts