Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sigh...my circuit popped and needs a serviceman to fix it.:poop:

I am without a dishwasher for about a month so far.:pdoff: :pdoff:

You know if you put about 4 inches of water in the sink with a little soap you can was dishes ALL day???:blind:

Who Knew??? :cuckoo:

Methinks I waste disherwasher water and electricity!:surprise:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
You mean you blew a fuse? Just go down to your fusebox and see which switch is not in the position as the other ones? If you have the older kind that just go in, just find the burnt one, go to home depot or lowes and replace it, costing you maybe $5 or less.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
dont own a dishwasher and dont want one. yep a few inches of water and some dishliquid and ta da done.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
when we were in the apt, i never used the dishwasher that was available there until the very end of our stay. now that we're in our house and without a dishwasher, i do miss her. but! im doing a-ok without one.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean you blew a fuse? Just go down to your fusebox and see which switch is not in the position as the other ones? If you have the older kind that just go in, just find the burnt one, go to home depot or lowes and replace it, costing you maybe $5 or less.
We were told that if it comes back on for any reason(one wall blew and the LIGHT!) that the fuse isn't blown and the switch isn't bad. It did come on once and dh pushed the dishwasher button(insert beat a man with a dead fish smilie here) and it went right back off again! I would have loved to have just had my light back!(yeah..insert that beat a man/dead fish smilie again here).

We were told probably one of the plug ins went bad and is messing up the whole line making the socket a fail safe.

My dh replaced one of the plugs BUT although he did it by the directions it didn't LOOK LIKE THAT when I took it apart.

I am just :chill: and when I get my dd all moved back from college and possibly get my money saved for our trip, I will get it fixed.

Meanwhile I will have some nice dishpan hands.

It has been 7 years since I got a dishwasher and I guess I just got spoiled on it. Washing a few dishes here and there and puting them up is tons better than loading and unloading a dishwasher which I hate to do!

There is always gonna be something~~~anytime there isn't something is the time to run and hide under the bed! Of course that is probably when the leg comes off the bed......"something" is always a'coming!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I was without a dishwashewr for about 5 months, I really missed it!

we actually didnt notice any difference at all in the electric bill but |I ended up using more hand cream LOL.

Much as I didnt mind washing dishes I was pleased to get my dishwasher back!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Both :smooch: and I cook... all day... every day... So a dishwasher would be a big help for us, as both of us hate washing dishes!!! But I hate the scratchy dry feel of dishwasher-washed dishes, so we'll have to see.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I couldn't live without my dishwasher. I don't mind the inconvenience of washing dishes by hand, but I'm totally obsessive about germs, so I wash the dishes and then put them in the dishwasher to sterilize. Is it frugal? No. Does it keep me somewhat sane? Yes.

I hope you're able to get your lights and your dishwasher fixed soon!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I stopped using the dishwasher in March, my electric bill dropped $20. My dishwasher is old and only works on the most inefficient setting (and only works with the most expensive detergent). There were so many things that I was doing by hand anyway that one day I just decided to do everything. I find if I keep up, it doesn't take much more effort than the machine, and I kind of enjoy my little alone time at the sink in the evening, helps me unwind.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm with Naderbug on the scratchy feeling of dishwasher dishes. The feel of it and the sound of them rubbing together gives me the shivers - and not the good kind! Plus the dishwasher soap is sooooo much more expensive.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Meanwhile I will have some nice dishpan hands.
!
I'm feeling sorry for you. It seems like I do dishes all day long, which is why it's such a treat to eat anywhere but at home. I miss the dishwashers I always had in my nice apartments. None here in my home for the last 11 years.

As for the dishpan hands, I have some lovely yellow rubber gloves that I wear to avoid that scalding hot water on my hands. You get used to it. :nails:

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I have never had a dishwasher. Nor do I want one. We wash dishes once or twice a day...in a half filled sink, with a hot rinse in a small plastic tub in the second sink. I take the tub to the garden, when it cools, and use the water to water the plants.

I can't imagine a dishwasher being as cheap as that to run, or as mindful of the Earth's resources.

We buy the cheapest dish detergent too. It just needs to get the job done, not stink up the house. I'm allergic to most scents anyways.

·
Registered
848 Posts
We've been without a dishwasher for almost 2 years, because this house we purchased didn't have one. It doesn't bother me ONE BIT. I could care less nowadays. My dishes get done ASAP and put away, I feel tidier.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I don't have a dishwasher now, but have usually had one in the past that came with the house or apartment. Since I like to have the dishes always clean, and wash them as they are done being used, I found the best use for a dishwasher in my case was to store the dishes. - they are easier to get pans out of than most cabinets, and I've never had a rack to hang mine on!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I found the best use for a dishwasher in my case was to store the dishes. - they are easier to get pans out of than most cabinets, and I've never had a rack to hang mine on!
Oh that is such an awesome idea!! I am starving for cupboard space here, especially space that I can actually reach. I'm going to start storing stuff in the dishwasher.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
we havent had a dishwasher in years, this house doesnt have one and our old rental had a broken one. i do dishes 2-3 times a day and its not too bad at all every now and then i consider a countertop one, but it seems silly considering there are only the 3 of us living here

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't have a dishwasher but have been looking into getting a portable one that fits on the counter just because with my health failing it's getting harder for me to stand long enough to wash dishes other than that I don't really mind not having one. I've lived in more places without one than with one so I'm used to washing by hand.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My in-laws dishwasher broke almost a month ago and we've been doing ours by hand too. I actually prefer it because we don't have to buy the Cascade anymore. That and my father-in-law was happy to see the hot water bill for the month. So it'll probably stay this way for a while.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts