Frugal Village Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Driving less,
heat down more,
have a good pantry so only buying when a really good price.

Was going to put in a smaller garden this year so I could go some places, but due to gas.........probably won't be going and will put in a larger garden.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
don't rent games or movies anymore
driving even less-always make trips at least 2 purpose or more
watchful about costs
started using online codes for discounts

·
Registered
379 Posts
1. Checked out the vaccination clinic at the local Petco. All my pug dog needed this year was rabies (3 year) and bordatella (1 year) was $35. The city clerk wanted to look at a copy of the receipt for the city dog tag, $12.
2. Enjoy music checked out from the library.
3. $17 cable TV package, $30 internet and $8 phone with Lifeline.
4. Considering dropping full-coverage on my vehicle and choosing to lower PIP protection as I don't earn $1500 a month any longer so this kind of wage reimbursement is not going to ever pay out.
5. Trying to only drive into town twice a week to use the gym, visit doctor, social activities, grocery or stockup shop.
6. Goodwill and Name Brand Clothing are excellent places to pick up clothing. Salvation Army offers deep discounts on Wednedsays.
7. Try all the Dollar Tree toiletries, cleaning stuff and food stuff. Shop Aldi's for perishables. You might find fresher produce at your local market but probably not walmart.
8. Check out all the free or low cost entertainment in your city. The check out counters at the gas station and restaurants plus the weekend sections of the papers have a lot of coupons. Look in the telephone book coupons too.
9. Don't buy magazines and newspapers. Read what you like online.
10. Cancel memberships to groups you rarely participate in.
11. Boycot the movie theater and pick up a $1 Redbox movie for free.
12. Have a replacement mentality on electronics. You will replace it when it stops working.
IE: My brother in law MUST HAVE a iphone because he is going to be a full-time masters student this Fall. He is allowing my 3 and 5 year old nieces to play with the apps on this phone. Do you think this phone will even be working when fall cames around? I got through college with a $1 day calendar and a homework mini-notebook. I was always placed on Dean's List.
13. Check out the local reject hardware stores. Be aware what maitenance your home needs and watch these stores for supplies. You can easily save 50%.

·
Registered
933 Posts
1. I'm making my own dishwasher detergent and its working great. *I already made my own laundry soap so I'm saving big there.
2. Using the towel trick in the dryer to cut down on drying time to save on electricity.
3. Using only the basic ingredients for cleaning. I've done this for years anyway but I've stepped it up even more.
4. Finding freebies online. I had let up on that but I'm back to doing that. You can get lots of freebies including magazines.
5. I cook a crockpot of pinto beans once a week which usually lasts for 2 nights of meals.
6. I buy groceries every 2 weeks but have to stop in between for milk, bread. I was finding myself picking up things not on my list so now I have my dh or my son or daughter pick up the things we need on their way home from school or work. I save in gas and don't buy things we can live without.
7. Trying to use up what we have in our freezer for a move later this year.
8. We don't have a Dollar Tree here but when I am at one I stock up on things we normally use because its cheaper than our local stores.
9. I surf online for coupons, money saving tips.
10. Stay in touch with family and friends online instead of long distance phone calls. I have to have internet anyway because my son and daughter are in college and have to have it for classes so I utilize it every way I can for savings.
11. I sew so I can fix most clothing problems myself.
12. I've started doing my shopping for gifts online instead of going out to the stores. I save in gas, save because I'm not eating out and save because I'm not picking up other items. I try to take advantage of free shipping too.
13. If we do need to eat out I'm taking advantage of coupons found in our weekly paper or that come in the mail.
14. I've been decluttering a lot and I'm getting items ready for a yard sale next month if I'm able and the weather is good.
15. I stretch meats by putting them in soups, casseroles, etc. I'm using less meat and more of the others and no one has noticed.
16. I mostly buy generics where I can.
17. I love foam soaps so I took the empty bottle and added a little shampoo and then filled up with water to make a new bottle. The shampoo I got free with a coupon. I have 3 huge bottles so it should last for a very long time.
18. I try and find coupons for items I have to use like Dawn, Charmin, Clorox etc. I have allergies so those are brands I can't not use.
19. One of my downfalls is decorating. I am trying not to buy anything new and just "shop" around my own home. If I do buy anything it has to be at a steep discount.
20. I wear clearance, Goodwill, or yard sale clothes and so does my family. We really don't need anything right now so I'm staying out of the stores.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have pretty much cut out eating out. We used to use this all the when I was tired or didn't plan our meals ahead of time. Now I plan all our dinners and we have saved a bundle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have made dinner or reheated leftovers every night, except last night, this week. Last night was baseball night, so we had BOGO free Subway foot longs.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We replaced our kitchen cabinets and counters ourselves, including moving some electrical outlets and plumbing the new sink. We stayed with stock cabinets and counters to save money, but I customized two wall cabinets so they would work for base cabinets under low windows. I've been making custom storage for some cabinets myself. We will also be installing the tile backsplash ourselves and painting.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
We just put our 5th wheel camper up for sale. We're going to cancel our membership to a campground we've been members at for 8 years. We'll save $500.00 a year there and $500.00 a year in insurance....plus the upkeep on the camper itself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
our entranceway floor needed replacing. instead of paying the handyman his $20 per hour fee, i tried my hand at peel and stick floor tiles. turned out nicely!
i'm learning to have more faith in myself. trying to make repairs myself this past year has saved LOTS of money!! but i WILL be calling a plumber for some pipe issues - i'm not THAT confident!!

also, selling some things on craigslist has helped me clear out some space and make some $$ at the same time.

concentrating on using up things i have around the house has helped me make room, kept me out of the stores, and forced me to "make due" with what i have around me. i'm already pretty frugal so cutting back is pretty hard to do. but repurposing things has helped me to save ALOT of $$ these past few months!!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Last year I was spluring and going to the movie theater with $7.5 coupons. Now that the CVS has a redbox I will be going there. It is so convenient to use.

Some how I have been spending less money on food. With my current stockpile I am able to use what I have with the few items I have been purchasing.

Also have stopped going to the thrift store. Have more than enough clothes from last year.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Lowered cell phone to the minimum plan.
Discontinued Netflix
Stopped eating out.....I miss the Chinese buffets
Actively substituting expensive ingredients in recipes for cheap ones.
Stopped eating meat
Started making gluten free bread...took several attempts until I could make an edible loaf...but I did it!!! :bfly:
Began making my own dog food...my dog is healthier
Began actively seeking toiletry alternatives at the Dollar Store. I found a good hair conditioner at 32 ounces for a dollar.
Staying home and attempting to drive as little as possible.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
So what have you cut out of the budget or done to save recently?

:bump::Thought this might be good for some of the new ones and old one like me to read i like to find more ways to cut the spending.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I love when some of the older threads are brought back up. I'm amazed at the ones I've missed along the way :)

New car insurance policy just went up $27 a month. Called and they shopped around and found one cheaper by $400 every 6 months. We have full coverage but discussed it and decided we're dropping to liability only as our vehicles are older and wouldn't get hardly anything anyway. That would be $250 a 6 month period alone. I'm not sure about changing companies as I've had Nationwide since my 20's and they've went to bat for me/us a few times. Plus they have accident forgiveness which is rare. It's 20 a 6 month period.
So whichever way we go we will give up the full coverage.

Got fed up with Direct TV's lies and canceled 12 months early. Paid the $260 to get rid of them. Nothing but lies from day one. We've always had Netflix but signed up for Sling for $28 with tax and get pretty much every channel we watched with satellite. No ABC etc but didn't watch much on them anyway. Also Hulu for $13 with tax but finding not using it much so that one may not be kept.
Direct was going from about $75 give or take to $140 (?) so still way ahead.

Trying to get back to grocery shopping every 2 weeks. Not doing so great but the hurricane didn't help matters. Save on gas AND I spent a lot less when I used to do that. Plus less pick up and throw in the cart. I'm also finding not having a list and forgetting stuff and having to go or stop on the way home is a big issue.

Going online or sale papers BEFORE I go and making the list. I had gotten away from that.

Making good use of $General $5 off 25 and $3 off $15 with the survey. This is saving quite a bit on coffee and creamer along at home and work. Also the cheapest place to get motor oil and used the $5 off on it a couple times. The jeep... older... uses it by spells. Ugh.

Looked at a lot of cell phone plans to see if can find one cheaper. Older vehicle with issues I need one. Have Boost and with tax it's $43.50 with no contract. I do NOT want a contract. Seems Boost is the cheapest and has everything I need. The internet part is not unlimited but rarely use it but sure came in handy after the hurricane. It was only down a couple days.

I'll be 65 next August. (Medicare ) My health insurance was raised this August by $219 a month for a total of $1233. Yep...you read that right. $5000 deductible. So was hoping to wait till Jan and raise it to $7,500 then maybe April or May and raise to the full $10,000 but it just couldn't wait. Called about 2 weeks ago and raised to the full $10,000 to reduce it to $864. Savings of $369 a month. I think those are the figures. Sure hope nothing happens to make me regret it before next August and Medicare.

Dentist office told me about a dental thing for a BIG reduction plan for $119... I think it was... that would cover me and the kid for a year. All dental was reduced a LOT. Cleaning went from $105 to $55 alone and I have to go every 3 months for that. Cleaning and xrays was $100 from $200.

Sure there's probably more but all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Doing more cooking from pantry and freezer.Quit buying microwave popcorn but not quit eating popcorn i have had a stir crazy popcorn popper just setting in cabinet for several years not been used so i decided it and a little work would save a little bit on grocery bill.Niko San999 i know what you are talking about the car Insurance i paid mine yesterday it had went up $46.more dollars the less i drive the more it goes up.I was going to post hugs but hit wtg.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Doing more cooking from pantry and freezer.Quit buying microwave popcorn but not quit eating popcorn i have had a stir crazy popcorn popper just setting in cabinet for several years not been used so i decided it and a little work would save a little bit on grocery bill.Niko San999 i know what you are talking about the car Insurance i paid mine yesterday it had went up $46.more dollars the less i drive the more it goes up.I was going to post hugs but hit wtg.
Piney... did it go up $46 more a month or a policy period?
Last hot air popper i bought was years ago and was $9.99. Looked last weekend at Walfart and they were $19.99. Dang!!!! I didn't get but will when I can plan to let go that much at one time. Everytime I use a regular pot I burn the crap outta it.

E

·
0 Posts
I have temporarily stopped my weekly massage ($18) and weekly eating out ($10-15) at least until the holidays are over. I still eat out but only around once every 2 weeks. In addition, I got a temp-job for every sunday ($50) of November and December.

It's something I really hate to cut (its my only luxury in life) but it's something I have to do because I'm visiting a relative overseas for the New Year. (est. costs about $1200). My body has been craving for a massage for weeks. I did find an affordable chair-head massage place nearby though for $5)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I honestly got lazy and had stopped making a dinner menu plan (which typically works to save us a lot), but didn't want to just go out and spend on whatever, so I started stockpiling meats on sale, and our freezer looks good, while sticking to our grocery budget. And I "shopped" the fridge and pantry for dinners for the last 2 weeks. It's amazing how creative you will get when you have "nothing"! And we haven't eaten too shabby either! Last night was salmon with homemade "sundried tomatoes", wilting spinach, and a homemade parmesan cheese sauce on top of rice. Yum! and nothing went to waste that was just gonna end up in the compost soon. Win-win!

I've stopped shopping so dang much. It's a hobby :p I just looooove HomeSense! And Walmart makes it too easy to buy "little" stuff every trip, that adds up to a lot more than I had planned. So I've just been staying away. And tryin' to stay home more, which means focussing on getting more school done so I can work soon, and spending less at Tim hortons on PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES!!!!

We got the EF started back up again with this mentality, and I quite like it!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I love soups however had gotten out of the habit of making them and now with the cold weather coming I am craving them and thus buying them... $3.00 per cup :surprise:which is totally ridiculous!!! So I have given up purchasing and have a pot of soup simmering on the stove right now. :smile2:
I have given up buying crackers as gluten free are super expensive and instead I am substituting them with a cheap spinach flatbread recipe. I substitute my garden Swiss chard for the spinach. I can grow Swiss chard year around. :vs_box:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Pretty much the only cut I've had in things is in just regular shopping or buying things that I don't need or have on my list. I try to stay away from Dollar Tree because though I love the store - like many people, I got into that mentality ... "Oh, what the heck, it's only a dollar". And then would come out of the store twenty or thirty bucks later, ya know?!

Scarlett Kaye

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have sharply cut my electric usage and it has paid off as my home is entirely powered by electricity. I also changed providers and I am now paying $32 dollars monthly which includes taxes. I keep the thermostat on 77 and we have been having over 100 degree days.
I cut out all meat and am really enjoying discovering new bean recipes.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts