Frugal Village Forums banner

Is a 2 liter or a 12 pack more frugal?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love soda, I am sure a lot of us do. Around here...2 liters are on sale often for 5/$5. 12 packs are ushally on sale for 4/$12. Does anyone else think the 12 packs are outragous??

Yet, so many people STILL buy them...

So, whats more frugal? I mean, I love 12 packs because I don't have to wash cups, each can is fresh and does not get flat as easy as a 2 liter, but IMO, 2 liters seem SO much cheaper.

Which one do you buy and why? Which one is more frugal to you?

·
Registered
46 Posts
24 pks here usually go on sale for $5.98 here, plus tax and deposit. I usually stock up then.

We only buy 2-liters when they are less than $1 each, because they go stale so fast.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Its all based on the cost/unit. Store brand vs brand name.

The way I look at it - the cans are a better value for me b/c I dont drink of often when home. So a 12pk will last me 4 months. A 2L is cheaper up front but I will drink a cup or two's worth (500ml) and be done with it and then have to pour the rest out when it goes flat then buy another 2L for another 2 cups etc. How is that saving money?

As for feeling like you're creating dishes - can you use the same cup through the day for all your drinking needs by just rinsing well between uses? Saves on dish duty and the environment as well.

While at the hospital with my dad, I'd buy a bottle of Diet Coke (591ml) daily. I spent $2 on it from the vending machine. So 3.4 bottles would equal 2L. I paid $6-$8 for 2L at the vending machine vs buying a 2L straight up for $1.50. To me that $6-$8 was worth it b/c it meant my dad had to get up outta his bed and walk through the hospital with me to go get it. It was his exercise for the day. To me...that is priceless.

I guess it depends on what you value more - your time & energy OR convenience all for savings.

BTW: If yer having people over for a party/gathering and you're providing the drinks - 2L is the way to go...not everyone will want/need a full can for one mixed drink and some people have issues using up someone else's 2nd half of their can. A 2L will make it even for everyone - you only pour what you need.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I love soda, I am sure a lot of us do. Around here...2 liters are on sale often for 5/$5. 12 packs are ushally on sale for 4/$12. Does anyone else think the 12 packs are outragous??

Yet, so many people STILL buy them...

So, whats more frugal? I mean, I love 12 packs because I don't have to wash cups, each can is fresh and does not get flat as easy as a 2 liter, but IMO, 2 liters seem SO much cheaper.

Which one do you buy and why? Which one is more frugal to you?
We pay considerably more for 12pks than 2L, but I primarily buy them for my dh's lunch so 2L bottles don't work for us.

Your 12pk price is pretty reasonable. Unless American cans are a different size, you're paying .50 per litre for a bottle and .70 per litre for cans. Not really a huge difference considering the convenience and additional packaging.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
When 2 lt bottles of Coke products go on sale around here, I usually buy several. ((Usually $1.00 per 2 lt bottle))

I don't have to wait for 2 lt Pepsi products to go on sale-they're cheaper... but I prefer Coke.

To prevent 2 lt sodas from going flat quickly, before capping, squash the plastic bottle to get some of the air out. While it's flatter, cap tightly.

Sounds odd, but it really does work.

Reactions: AnW819

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
When I was in school... a long time ago... the Metric system was coming, we NEED to learn this.

still waiting....
I'm still waiting too.

One teacher told us of the "future", the other teachers called it a fantasy. That computers would be in nearly every home, you would be able to communicate and look things up from the computer, students could go to school on the computer, we could order things and have them delivered right to our door.

He also told us pennies were going to stop being made. Still waiting on that.
Maybe he meant pennies made of mainly copper were going to go away.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I buy two liters for 67 cents sometimes 88 cents, with my family it is gone before it goes flat.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Neither pop isn't good for you either! It gives you osteoporosis. That's why I don't drink it. Expecially diet pop it makes people obese with aspertame. I drink green tea it has many health benefits. like weight loss and prevents cavities ect. It's frugal to not buy pop at all. JMHO

Reactions: mamamia and AnW819

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We will only buy 12 packs when they are $2.50 or less and then we stock up. DH takes them to work and in the long run saves us money. He goes through three or four cans a day. He keeps a few 12 packs in his office to drink. Otherwise he is going downstairs to the cafeteria for drinks at $1 per 20 oz soda three times a day = $3.00/day.

For home usage we get 2 liters. Never had a problem with them going flat because we go through them pretty quickly. We only buy 2 liters when they are priced @ $1 or less. For the most part our at home beverages are primarily unsweetened tea, bottled water or milk. Sodas only come in to play about once a week.

We love diet Pepsi and when it goes on sale we (quite often) we stock up.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I only buy 2 leaders when i am having a lot company and know they will be used.Sometime when Dr peppers are on sale i buy 12 0r 24 pack.I don't need them for i am already over weight but i drink one ever once in awhile.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My father bought 2 six-packs of 12 oz bottles. He then buys 2 ltrs when they go on sale, and transfers them to the 12 oz bottles. He says they don't go stale as fast. But, I guess it all depends on how much work you want to put into it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 liters = about 67 oz for $1= 0.014/ounce
(1) 12 pack = 144 oz for $3 = 0.021/ounce

But I don't drink pop (soda). I usually drink Crystal Light, water or beer. :D
Thanks Russ for the math breakdown, I was to tired to do it and was hoping someone else would!! It seems the difference is not TOO bad...but the winner is 2ltrs for me!!

12 oz can = 355ml can

And oddly enough I recall seeing the 3L bottles on sale too - unless they have abolished those bottles now?
When I was in school... a long time ago... the Metric system was coming, we NEED to learn this.

still waiting....
We don't have 3 ltrs here...but I do remember them from back in the day!!

Great answers all!

·
Registered
352 Posts
We are trying not to buy any at all! I actually prefer it in a cup with ice and a lid and a straw from a drive thru or gas station so right now I allow myself one per week and have stopped buying any for home. BUT around her Walmart will occasionally have cases of Mountain Dew/Dr. Pepper (24 cans) for $3.98 and often has Coke products for $5 for a case. I won't pay more than that. Only buy 2 liters if we are having a party. Otherwise no one drinks it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.