Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but then something throws a wrench in it!

Take for instance:

You go through the circulars. You check out the deals online. You plan your meals for the next week or two, then you head out to the store. But what do you know? There's 30% chicken breasts for sale! There's 50% ground beef for sale! Oh my, BOGOF turkeys?! You bet!

Suddenly, that meal plan you made isn't looking so hot, is it?

So what do you do? Do you just keep truckin' on, knowing that you're dead set on those meals? Or do you decide to buy every single package of marked-down meat that looks appetizing enough for later on? Do you just ditch the list and make one on the fly?

I thought about this as I was walking through Superstore on Thursday. I went in to get chicken for sweet and sour chicken, then I ran across all sorts of marked-down meats. Then it hit me... what do I do if it happens when I go shopping, knowing that I need to save as much as I can?

So what do YOU do?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If it was me i would buy the chicken you needed then buy one of the specials either ground beef or a turkey. I would do the turkey if possible. Those sound like wonderful deals

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I'm flexible. I'd go for the deals and rework the plan around what was on sale.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you carry a menu plan book with you that's tailored to specific items? I know that if I end up having to get something else that I didn't plan for, I spend a ton of cash.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have to stick with my menu plan... But if there is a good deal on meat and I had extra $$ I'd buy it and save it for the next menu..

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I usually use the same types of meats all the time so I have it on hand. On any given week if there is a sale on one particual kind I stock up. Same with other items. I am not usually buying to use right at that moment.

There is usually at least a little wiggle room to get something that is a really good deal.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I usually use the same types of meats all the time so I have it on hand. On any given week if there is a sale on one particual kind I stock up. Same with other items. I am not usually buying to use right at that moment.

There is usually at least a little wiggle room to get something that is a really good deal.
I stock up my meat the same!

I always look at my budget in terms of dollars, and cents for the whole month and long term meal plans vs weekly. So this month might be stocking up on my whole grains, sugar, oatmeal ( and these are usually in 25-50 pound bags), olive oil and coconut oil. The next month might be my honey, beans of all kinds etc. But I always have wiggle room for great stock up deals and buy my eggs, fresh cream, milk etc weekly. That way my freezer and pantry are always full, I can make what I want, I save tons, and finally it saves me energy and time. This week I am buying 40 jars of Franks hot sauce ( have coupons, a good price ) and this will last me almost a yr for my wings.

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I pray for those kinds of days when I go shopping. Since I started stockpiling I no longer ever buy meat at full price. I find the markdowns and stock up. Some weeks I find nothing, some weeks it's a gold mine. Last Friday I scored ~15lbs of steak, lamb chops, and pork cutlets for under $2 a lb.

I have a pretty good idea what is in my stockpile, as I keep an inventory list and look at it every week.

Today I would have skipped the chicken, as I have a lot of it already in the freezer, but gone for the ground beef because I am due to make a big batch of chili. I'd also skip the turkey deal because a whole bird is too much for us and two would not fit in the deep freeze. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i just buy whats on sale and create a plan around it - my first stop when shopping isi always meat dept so i can get other sale items to go with the meast if i need to. having a pantry with some basics stocked prevents this from being an issue also -

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I menu plan very little and would go for the deals. We eat different diets in this house so I have to be flexible.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I'd buy the beef & the turkey, as I just got chicken

I build my menu, daily, around what we have that needs to be eaten and what's seasonally available or on sale.

Yesterday's dinner was HM soup and crescent rolls...we were out late shopping and didn't want to fuss, but were hungry. The soup was LO from lunch.

Today, I have a hamburger patty to use up, so we'll probably have it for lunch, in some form or the other. I have a lot of pasta, as I got 4 boxes last week on sale for .79 a box + a coupon, so that's probably what I'll do. I'll make mini meatballs and cook some pasta and either make gravy or use a can of it from the pantry, probably make it, as I think the only canned gravy I have right now is turkey.

That means that tonight's dinner will probably have a pasta side dish or tomorrow's lunch will be pasta salad.

I have promised DH pies, so my main focus cooking wise today is to make a Marlborough (apple custard) pie and a chicken pot pie with the end of the can of cream of chicken soup that needs using in the fridge. I had planned to freeze the pot pie for another night when I just don't feel like cooking, although we may eat it for dinner. In that case, it will be dinner tonight and probably lunch tomorrow too.

I work at keeping my pantry filled with in-season, cheap foods and then let myself be creative with meal planning. Sometimes I get involved, usually it's simple. I'm not usually up for cooking anything that takes more than 1/2 hour, unless I can leave it, like a roast or pie or something....

Judi

·
Registered
62 Posts
at least for me, i've learned i HAVE to be flexible...nothing worse than having a menu and/or specific recipe in mind requiring a specific ingredient or cut of meat and the store not having what you need.........don't know about anybody else but that can totally throw me off kilter!!! then i'm standing there like an idiot staring blankly at the meat display...as we both work, during the week we try to avoid super complicated menus (the ones with 42 steps and use of every major pot pan and utensil. i love my kitchen but i really don't want to spend the WHOLE night in there!) we do the more involved productions on the weekends.

having a well stocked pantry means that on those random days i can go from Chicken Something that morning to a more defined dinner entree by day's end as i've had all day to ponder.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
That is why there is always room in the grocery budget. When I find good deals (especially on meat) I stock up. I may spend more today, but in the long run I save a lot.

I don't have a rigid weekly meal plan for this exact reason. I have a general idea of what I am going to cook that week, but there is always room for changes. Plus things come up and I might not be able to cook what I had planned. So there is always something quick and easy for a backup meal.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Finding unexpected sales is also why I have stockpile. I only buy food when it is on sale and/or I have coupons.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
When you get a turkey at a good deal, see if the butcher will cut it in half. That way if you are in a smaller family, you have 2 little turkeys instead of a big one that you do not have to roast.

Reactions: momof2boys2005

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a budget of $35/week. So if I find something at a really great price, that I know I'll use....meat for example, I just subtract the cost (or half of it, or a quarter of it...depending on how costly my find was ;)) from the budget for the following week. I actually did this just this past weekend. Albertson's is running a great meat sale, and I ended up with 12-13 lbs. of meat for about $20 (boneless skinless chicken breasts, ground chuck, chicken drummies, italian sausage.) So in my menu plan for next week, I deducted the entire $20 and worked my meals around $15...using some of the meat I had just stocked up on, since that's the major budget breaker anyway.

I ALWAYS menu plan, it saves me a ton of money knowing that I won't throw half a head of cabbage away after using the other half of it for mei fun...I can use the rest for coleslaw and have BBQ chicken with it later in the week. I vote for picking up half priced meat whenever you can, because it's something you'd end up paying full price for down the road anyway, BUT still sticking to your menu plan for that week.

Reactions: jas and Tess B

·
Registered
62 Posts
ok wow, $35 a week? i'm speechless.....and way impressed. can i ask a couple questions?

how many does that feed?
do you have a stand alone freezer?
how stocked is your pantry?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
If that was me, I'd get the turkey & chicken and put in the freezer for the next weeks menu! It's called planning ahead on good deals!

·
Registered
719 Posts
ok wow, $35 a week? i'm speechless.....and way impressed. can i ask a couple questions?

how many does that feed?
do you have a stand alone freezer?
how stocked is your pantry?
Don't be too impressed LOL.

It just feeds two of us and I'm not including any bathroom/kitchen supplies in that number...just food.

We live in an apartment, so no freezer

My pantry is pretty well stocked, but again...in an apartment there's only so much space. I don't stock up on canned goods because I don't use a lot of them to begin with, but I do usually have a 4 or 5 boxes of cereal, a couple bottles of katsup, couple big containers of pickles, applesauce, half a dozen dressings/marinades/BBQ sauce, and more pasta than I know what to do with....I think 10 or 12 boxes at the moment LOL.

The only way I can get away with the $35/week is having a produce stand I use for fresh veggies/fruits (12 oranges for $1, 4 green peppers for $1, a 5 lb. bag of potatoes for $1.50, those kind of prices...not grocery store prices) and we don't eat a heckofa lot of meat. Vegetarian dinners probably half the week usually. If we were to eat meat every night, there's no way I could do it on $35. Not with the price of meat in Florida... Oh, and I coupon for the pantry items I mentioned before. Publix does BOGO sales and you can stack their coupons with manufacturer's coupons. I could have never pulled off $35/wk living where I did in Indiana.

Edit: I just realized you're really new to the forum, there's a lot of places under the Frugal Living and Kitchen sections of the forum that have great threads started about grocery budget reduction, thrifty meals, etc. Lots of ideas from a lot of people :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks and i don't mean to hijack this thread! i am just so darn impressed with ya'll! my new heroes.

my husband works in masonry construction, heavy grueling work, burns tons of calories and as he's 5'9" and runs at a steady buck forty (140) pounds with near zero body fat it's crucial that he gets lots of protein and good healthy meals. i've tried for 8 years now to put a few extra pounds on that man so he has some reserve, but nyet, doesn't happen. we have cut our food budget a lot, shop at Winco the discount/pack your own groceries store, buy the bigger selections of meat and then section up for the freezer, etc. planning meals rather than just winging it. with all the fabulous information, ideas and support here i'm ready to take it to the next level!!!! for whatever reason, coupons have always mystified me.......now my daughter (27) that girl RULES at the coupon thing. she keeps telling me, you can do it mom. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts