Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all! I am going to venture out into the world of soapmaking! Any tips for a first-timer like myself? I am going to buy a kit that has all of the utensils, fats, pre-measured lye, fragrence, add-ins, and a video. I know that lye is a caustic ingredient...any tips on handling it? It is the only frightening part of all of this...maybe it's not so scary? Let me know, all you soapmakers!!!

Andrea

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
This is something I'm interested in trying also. I've seen the scented soap they slice off in gift shops. I was thinking that might make nice Christmas gift with some home-made bath salts and a scrubbie.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know that lye is a caustic ingredient...any tips on handling it? It is the only frightening part of all of this...maybe it's not so scary? Let me know, all you soapmakers!!!
Safety glasses and rubber gloves. make sure your arms are covered with long sleeves 'cause the lye water can splash. While it can be scary, if you're careful you'll be fine. Make sure when you're in the process of making the soap that you're not distracted. Keep children and pets out of the room. Make sure no one mistakes the lye water for something drinkable. I know it sounds crazy, but this has happened. Not to me, but have heard stories. My lye container is marked in black magic marker "LYE WATER. DO NOT DRINK. DANGER!"

I've been making soap (from scratch, as well as M&P) for almost 10 years and haven't had any problems using lye.

enjoy......... and be prepared to get addicted to the hobby:applause:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ditto what ConnieD said about the long gloves and goggles lol. I've been making soap for 5 years, LOVE every minute of it. We have not used commercial soaps for the last 5 years, whenever we travel we ALWAYS bring our own soap ;)

If you have any questions, post them and I'll try my best to answer them for you.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello fellow soapmakers!

I made my first crock pot hot pour soap today.
Something went wrong, not sure what, but I am interested in rebatching it.
Here is the recipie I used:

4 oz castor oil
4 oz vegatable lard
8 oz extra virgin olive oil
2.05 oz lye crystals
6.08 waterI added 1 oz fragrance oil and 1 dye chip of maple
I also added 1 T of suger to the water and dissolved before adding lye.
I want to make swirley soap and it did not happen!

I think the recipie is too small, I poured 3 bars of soap.
I just cannot make 7 lbs of soap! Too much!
I also do not have a scale, any advice on soapmaking without one would help.
The soap is a wierd texture, and orange in color.
I think I should have left it on the heat longer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Chatterweb,

Using an accurate scale is essential, due to the fact that all materials weigh differently. All recipes are by weight and not by measurements.

Here's a site I use when I need to work out my lye amount:
thesage.com

I wouldn't recommend that you use those bars since there is no way of figuring if the lye amount was correct :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I threw the bars in the trash.
I am awaiting a scale I ordered.
I also ordered MP soap base too, and 17 scent oils.
So I will try MP midweek!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts