Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While perusing through some old links I had saved, I came across this article....
As I read it this time, it made me so thankful to know those of you who are Military Wives!
It really is the toughest job in the military....
To all of you ladies who hold it together on these shores while he holds it together "over there" - thanks from the bottom of my heart!!

:hug2:

Soldiers Without Uniforms
by: LuAnne Fantasia - Ft. Sam Houston Public Affairs

Keeping a military family together can be a lot of adventure and fun, and it can be a lot of work. And, sometimes the families don't stay together.

I can't speak for military husbands out there; they'll have to write their own story. But I will say for military wives everywhere--you are soldiers, airmen, sailors and Marines, too. You just don't get the uniform or the promotions.

Ah, the wives of the military--drawn to the pomp and circumstance by the thrill of serving their country through their men, right?

They each have their own war story, but chances are their military lives began with promises of exotic travel, or maybe even bribes.

He said, "so, do you want to go to Germany with me and pick up a cuckoo clock?"

She said, "I do...and I'm packed."

So began her life as an atta-girl.

An atta-girl is the woman who follows her big lug around the globe for at least 18 of his 20-plus years in uniform; unaccompanied tours and time at sea considered.

She memorized her husband's social security number as soon as she learned she couldn't cash a check in the exchange, or have a baby in the military hospital without it.

The woman has changed jobs so many times that asking her to keep her resume to the preferred two pages is about like asking her which of her kids she wants to keep.

Oh yeah, the kids, the little darlings...mini family members. They're born everywhere between Spokane and Savannah, except for twins, who always seem to debut in a foreign country when there's no extended family to help pull sleepless night shifts. Maybe there's a west coast baby or an accidental east coast baby. Often the kid is on solid food before Dad lays eyes on it for the first time, but that's another story.

The atta-girl is not just another shop-til-you-drop woman, although she can ask "how much?" in a couple of languages.

She is strong and flexible. She has to be to survive that last minute change to orders, sending her and her family to Walla Walla, Wash., when the household goods await them in Germany, and the family van is on a ship somewhere in between.

An atta-girl can spot the box with the wall hangings in it while it's still on the Mayflower moving van, tear it open with her teeth if she has to, and get the home-sweet-home needlepoint up on the wall before little east coast baby can wail, "Mommie, where's the bathroom in this house!?"

She is forever prepared. She learned long ago to have some sweet culinary creation ready to pop into the oven at a moment's notice for those battalion bake sales, and she can buy a low-cost, low-grade rump roast at the commissary, tenderize and pulverize it into something edible, and entertain guests that night in her new government quarters.

She is a soldier, sailor, airman or Marine without the uniform. Nothing can stop her and she doesn't ask for much. She sometimes fails, but usually succeeds. She knows the only constant is change. She gets lonely, but makes friends easily. She lives and learns, and all that is important to her is having her teenagers and husband on the same continent. If they're all speaking to each other, that's a perk.

They are atta-girls. Together they form neighborhoods, communities, and long lines at the commissary. They work and volunteer for charities, and together they laugh, cry and sometimes swear.

Who can ask for anything more, right? But did she ever get that cuckoo clock?

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OOPS!!

By the way - the link to the site where I rediscovered that little nugget is here!

Enjoy!

·
27,948 Posts
Thanks Debbie & a sincere thanks to all you "atta -girls" We wouldn't have the world we have today if we didn't have you to support the men you love as they support all of us. :smooch:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Originally posted by Darlene
Thanks Debbie & a sincere thanks to all you "atta -girls" We wouldn't have the world we have today if we didn't have you to support the men you love as they support all of us. :smooch:
Well said Darlene, I second it! Thank you Ladies! :hug2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts