Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a disturbing phone call from my credit card company yesterday-- someone had been making a bunch of weird charges on our credit card. :thud: The credit card company noticed some unusual activity, called me, and immediately put a hold on the account. They will remove all the fraudulent charges and send us a new card this week, and we're not responsible for the bills.

I was shocked, but my DH (a cop) wasn't. Even though the cards (we each have one) have never been out of our possession, he says there are lots of ways someone could obtain the account number. We've only used that account online one time, but, of course, there are lots of other ways that someone could have gotten the number... from a store, from our mail, etc. DH says that it's hard to catch these people because if they're smart they don't have online purchases shipped to the same place twice, and it's really hard to track them down. I have to call the credit card company later today and talk to them again... DH doubts we'll even know who did this or how it happened.

The charges on the account were weird, and make us think this was an amateur, possibly even a teenager. A lot of the charges were under five dollars, and they were all for make-up, movies, and other things purchased online. Some of the charges were like $1.97... you'd think if they were going to steal, they'd go for something bigger! :confused:

Anyways, I'm thankful that the credit company caught it and that we're not responsible for the charges. :relieved:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I'm so sorry! At least they caught it, called you, and the account's fixed!

These days even camera phones are dangerous. A few seconds of handing the card to a cashier and someone could snap a picture of it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Amy, the same thing happened to us last month. The 'perps' were charging things in Belguim, which is what alerted the fraud dept at the bank. I'm very thankful that the bank caught it so quickly. Like you, we are not liable for any of the charges.

The fraud dept said that it was possible they 'got' our number by just trying random numbers. I did go ahead and put a fraud alert on our credit reports. We'd actually like to get ours locked, and this may be our ticket to do so.

All in all, it's turned out to be no big deal, but it sure could've been worse! Hope your situation goes as well as mine has.

·
Registered
942 Posts
A friend of mine had this happen with her Visa Debit card. It ended up being a group of friends that were waitstaff at various restaurants around town. When people would charge their dinner and the card would go back to be 'run' the people were writing down the numbers. It really was bad for them because their checking account was frozen for nearly a week before they got everything worked out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
674 Posts
That is really scary. I am so sorry that happened to you. It is great that your credit card company is on the ball.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I like my cc in my possession at all times. I don't like giving my cc to a waiter and have them disappear for a couple of minutes while they charge my diner. I like the places where you swipe it yourself. I think it is more secure that way.

·
Registered
195 Posts
this happened to me few years ago they spent £3,800 just under my limit i moved home at handed in a change of address to tsb but it was not actioned my new card was delivered to my old address and the people went on a spending spree it was only when i got a Rude phone call (i had kept the same phone number ) from TSB say why did i think i can spend and not pay them i said WOT CARD .... well they went to the pictures a lot , petrol stations all around manchester ... they got a three piece suite .... and a ton of pottery i was so down because it took so long to get rid of it... they keeped sending me bills after they got my NEW address removed all the fraud but took time with ALL THE CHARGES bill after bill of charges IT IS UPSETTING BECAUSE THIS PERSON PRETENDED TO BE ME AND LIVED A GOOD LIFE AS ME IN THE MONTHS THEY HAD MY CARD

·
Registered
708 Posts
That's awful, Amy! I'm glad the cc company was on the ball and that you won't be billed for the fraudulent charges. Unless I absolutely have to, I never use my cc for anything...it's all debit and cash. After hearing all your stories, though, I'm going to be extra careful!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am glad your CC company was aware that something strange was going on with your CC card and reported it to you. You are lucky that you aren't going to have to pay for the charges.

I hope there is some way to trace this back to the person who stole the number.

This is always in the back of my mind when I use a CC or my debit card. I am afraid someone is going to get the number and use it. I just hope my CC company will be as alert as your is.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am so sorry this happend, I am glad the credit card company was so on top of things though.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
So sorry you have to deal with this. I'm glad your CC company is on top of things!

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Once I got a call from Discover, a card I had not used for a long time; the fraud dept said there had been a lot of charges on it the day before and were looking into it. I told them I had the card and had used it myself, but they began quizzing me about what I had purchased. Can you believe I was caught so off guard I could not think of one place I had been? So they
"helped" me.They asked if I had charged anything at a "family clothing store." I knew I had bought no clothes at all and was sounding dumber than a box of rocks. They finally asked if I had been to a drugstore, and I had -- picked up a prescription, and with that starting point, gradually the day began to come back to me and I could identify a couple of other places. Finally they were satisfied it was just me. I thanked them for being so alert and hung up, still feeling very stupid, and still completely bewildered by the family clothing store. Later I went through thre receipts and figured out it had to have been Burlington Outlet. Yes, family clothing, but what I bought there was a couple of flower pots. No wonder I didn't remember when hit cold with that!

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's such a scary thing to have happen to you! I'm glad that your card company was so responsive.

It's things like this that make me want to use cash all of the time and never buy anything online again!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
What a horrible thing for you to have to go through! I'm glad your credit card company caught it quickly.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Im glad you got it quickly ans all sorted out. And u didint have to pay any of it back. whew.
Buggers, theres always someone trying to rip someone else off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts