Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one comes from my FIL and his wife, straight out of Hungary-

Cook spaghetti as usual- top with GROUND poppy seeds and a little sugar, mix to coat pasta, eat!

It is quite good, with a different texture than we're used to for pasta- but you MUST grind the poppy seeds (we use a coffee grinder) or it isn't 'right'. Something to try for a cheap lunch or dinner when you can't stand another night of red sauced pasta or need something quick!

Poppy seeds can be purchased form spice stores ($5 a lb at our local one, lasts a long time) or from European specialty stores (or you can buy the little containers at the grocer's but that's the most expensive way).

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yep, that definitely sounds eastern european. :)

another one is a simple olive oil, feta cheese, olive and pine nut w/spaghetti or angel hair pastas. you can add/remove different foods like diced tomatoes, chilis, arugala... that's Greek tho.

Lotsa seeds or nuts for a texture (and protein), a little something to help 'em stick (oil/ghee), some herbs or spice (and yes, sugar is a "spice" in your case).

Thanks for sharing! :sun:

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
That sounds good. I sometimes do noodles or pasta with just butter, grated Parmesan-Romano, and poppy seeds. I should try your recipe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts