Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of being sick and tired! I just can't tell you how long it has been since I have woken up in the morning ready to face the day. I am SURE my kids are tired of hearing "mommy doesn't feel well". I am at the point where I can still push myself to do all the things I need to, however it's a push. Today I have to shovel the driveway. I cannot even fathom that right now. I could literally crawl into bed and sleep another 8 hours, however with three homeschooled little ones and a house that needs to be kept up with and a mother that needs care, it's just not an option.

I have no medical insurance, not to mention I don't agree with the "take this and you'll feel better" mentality. I know it's got to be something I am doing (or not doing) to myself, however I just don't know how.

Basically, I feel nausious, headachy and exhausted. All the time. Usually by mid morning I can get some stuff done. But by late afternoon, I am back to being exhausted. The headaches rerely go away, but the nausious feeling is just in the mornings. (no, there is absolutely no chance of pregnancy). ;)

Thank you for any and all advice. I have been working towards eating more from scratch, but I am having a heck of a time deciding what needs to go (in the terms of prepackaged) now, and what can wait. What needs to be eliminated first? What should I add in? I know you don't know how I am eating now, but just assume I am a little better than the average american - I don't eat out (anymore), but I still have a lot of boxed and prepackaged in my home. For a while, all we ate was stuff I could just toss in the oven/microwave ready-made, because I was so tired I couldn't get up the energy to cook. Is this a cycle or what???

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
could be SAD ( seasonal affective disorder ) due to it being winter months.

could be chronic sinus issues- is your heat dry - do you have a cool mist humidifier- when my sinuses are a mess ( not infected just messed up from the dry air ) i have constant headaches- i am exhauseted and i get nauseated. i bought this not so cheap but small hunifier for 25$ at CVS that can sit on my bedside and you can just refill a water bottle to use it .
Has decreased my sinus issues by a good 75%.

could be anemia
could be low thyroid .

could be low vitamin D

do you take a multi vit ?

i have fibromyalgia which includes alot of the above symptoms plus many more

but i was able to decrease the intensity of many of my symptoms that are the issues you speak of with multi vits - vitamin D iron a few times a week and a humidifier .

also try to find something exciting to look forward to- i find i get very overwhelmed with life when i feel like i am constantly on a treadmill doing all i need to do and have noting to look forward to that is fun for me or my family .

Reactions: Shelli_wnj

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
oh anything you eat or drink have artificial sweeteners in it ??
and alot of time its just not soda - i have seen it in low cal yogurts puddings etc .
that stuff can really mess with me - !

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am certainly not a doctor and not even in the medical field, I just happened upon your post and your symptoms sounded a LOT like mine so I felt a need to post what mine ended up being. . . .

Turns out that I developed a SEVERE allergy to the food additive MSG. It made me feel JUST like that: headaches, irritability, totally exhausted, unable to function for WEEKS after every exposure. It's in more foods that you'd ever realize (flavored chips, crackers, can and packaged soups used in many recipes). I could go on and on about that. I eliminated that from my diet (or tried do, as I said, it's in so many things you'd never even suspect and forget eating out because it's in all those sauces and injected into meats). I started taking a good-quality multi-vitamin too and drinking lots of water. I can say today that I am WAY, WAY, WAY better than where I was. I really know what it's like facing the day feeling so badly, so I have compassion for you. I hope you are able to get to the bottom of what's causing your weariness and feel better. Best wishes. . .

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could be SAD ( seasonal affective disorder ) due to it being winter months.
I had thought of this, but don't know how to combat it - I do take vitamins B and D.

could be chronic sinus issues- is your heat dry yes, we have coal heat- do you have a cool mist humidifier- no, I have issues with the filter and mold. maybe I will give it another go when my sinuses are a mess ( not infected just messed up from the dry air ) i have constant headaches- i am exhauseted and i get nauseated. i bought this not so cheap but small hunifier for 25$ at CVS that can sit on my bedside and you can just refill a water bottle to use it .
Has decreased my sinus issues by a good 75%.

could be anemia I don't bleed a lot when I get cut, so I had self-ruled that one out, but are there other symptoms?
could be low thyroid .Yes. I take thyroid meds, but haven't had the moeny for the consultations and blood tests in about 3 years. My doctor still prescribes the meds, but the testing will run about $500 in total, and I just don't know where to get that money.

could be low vitamin D

do you take a multi vit ? no, I take vitamins B and D

i have fibromyalgia which includes alot of the above symptoms plus many more gentle HUGS to you. So sorry you have to deal with that!

but i was able to decrease the intensity of many of my symptoms that are the issues you speak of with multi vits - vitamin D iron a few times a week and a humidifier . thank you so much for your advice!!!

also try to find something exciting to look forward to- i find i get very overwhelmed with life when i feel like i am constantly on a treadmill doing all i need to do and have noting to look forward to that is fun for me or my family .
that is understood, but in this constant barrage of snow, when I do look forward to something, it usually involves shovelling myself out first! LOL
oh anything you eat or drink have artificial sweeteners in it ?? yes - it seems everything these days has some form of artificial something. That's why I asked what in particular to rid myself of. It just seems impossible to do everything all at once, you know?
and alot of time its just not soda - i have seen it in low cal yogurts puddings etc .
that stuff can really mess with me - !
Thank you so much for your replies!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am certainly not a doctor and not even in the medical field, I just happened upon your post and your symptoms sounded a LOT like mine so I felt a need to post what mine ended up being. . . .
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!
Turns out that I developed a SEVERE allergy to the food additive MSG. It made me feel JUST like that: headaches, irritability, totally exhausted, unable to function for WEEKS after every exposure. It's in more foods that you'd ever realize (flavored chips, crackers, can and packaged soups used in many recipes). I could go on and on about that. I eliminated that from my diet (or tried do, as I said, it's in so many things you'd never even suspect and forget eating out because it's in all those sauces and injected into meats). aside from the word MSG - how else can I tell if it's in my food - what are the biggest culprits? I would appreciate any insight you would have into this. I try to stay away from msg itself, but I recently read they can put it in your food and not list it on the label? How do I know what it's in? I started taking a good-quality multi-vitamin too and drinking lots of water. that's where I falter. I can't stand water. ugh. :( LOL I know I need to be a big girl and just drink the darned water, but I do hate it so.I can say today that I am WAY, WAY, WAY better than where I was. AWESOME! I really know what it's like facing the day feeling so badly, so I have compassion for you. I hope you are able to get to the bottom of what's causing your weariness and feel better. Best wishes. . .
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here's where I got a lot of good information on the hidden MSG in our food: MSGTruth.org

On water, I feel the same way so I started with sparkling water and added about a teaspoon of my favorite syrup in it (mine is peach, which also comes in sugar free, but since I am only using a tiny amount, I go with the sugar one, tastes MUCH better!). It makes sort of a peach Italian soda (sort of LOL!).

I really hope you feel better soon.

·
8,714 Posts
~Could be anxiety. I felt the way you describe when my older two were very little. We were just discovering the extent of ds's special needs. It seemed as if the future was falling in on me and I had a hard time getting focused day to day. I felt sick with anxiety.
Do some reading at Flylady.net and see if her and her reader's descriptions of how thet felt sound like you. Prayer and using her system(modified)really helped me!~

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I am anemic and it has alot more to do with not bleeding excessively when cut. Alot of your symptoms describe anemia. If my red cells drop, I will experience all the symptoms you describe. I will also experience pain throughout the body...sore legs, rubbery bones....like I have no bones in my body. I can sleep for days. If I were you, I would try a multi-vitamin with iron. You could try the iron pill itself bit you have to be careful not to take too much otherwise it will affect the liver.

Being exhausted all the time is not a nice feeling. I sympathize I wish you all the best. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Debbie - I had no idea! I am going off to do some research on that now. I also get that "rubbery sore" feeling. Hmmmm. I am not liking this at all. It seems it may be more serious than just food issues. :(

·
Registered
352 Posts
I know you said you don't have health insurance, but is there any chance you could get a small blood test done? I would get your thyroid checked. Very common in women to have hypothyroid issues. The medicines to treat it are inexpensive. I'd also make sure you are eating as healthily as possible, getting enough RESTFUL sleep (could you have sleep apnea or something like that making the hours you sleep not as high quality), and get some exercise. It is one of the best things you can do for yourself. I hate it, but I feel sooooo much better when I do it. And if you are having depression or anxiety exercise can GREATLY affect mood. Oh, you also may want to take some Vitamin D. It is winter and most people are deficient.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know you said you don't have health insurance, but is there any chance you could get a small blood test done? I would get your thyroid checked. Very common in women to have hypothyroid issues. The medicines to treat it are inexpensive. I'd also make sure you are eating as healthily as possible, getting enough RESTFUL sleep (could you have sleep apnea or something like that making the hours you sleep not as high quality), and get some exercise. It is one of the best things you can do for yourself. I hate it, but I feel sooooo much better when I do it. And if you are having depression or anxiety exercise can GREATLY affect mood. Oh, you also may want to take some Vitamin D. It is winter and most people are deficient.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have thyroid deficiency - between the doctor's visits and the blood test itself, the total comes to around $500.

Food is an issue right now. I thought we were eating healthy. Turns out, there is bad stuff in everything right now! Even the fruit we ate with lunch today has on the package that it was treated with sulfates. Nothing is "clean" so I don't know what to eat!

Sleep - ha! I have a special needs daughter, and two sons aged 5 and 3. I do sleep, but not straight through. It's like having an infant between the 3 of them, you know?

Exercise is the one thing I do get. Just not enough of it. :) I am at the point where I just don't know what to do. And I let it get to me. I need to let the house go for a day and not feel badly about it!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do you have a Trader Joes grocery store near you? I think they have the best prices on healthful foods- you still have to read labels, but overall there are a lot of good options there. If not, don't panic about what you have been eating. Instead even making baby steps toward better food choices will help. A lot of times cutting out all of the white foods- sugar, white flour, rice- will help. Try cutting out starches all together and see how you feel. Replace things like cereal with eggs or greek yogurt and fruit for a high protein start to the day. Add in as many fruits and vegis as you can stand- fresh ones raw or steamed. And make rest a priority. If you don't get out of the house much make that a priority too- i think in the winter we get isolated sometimes and it makes us feel down and draggy. Go walk around the mall and window shop or leave the kids at home with someone and run to the book store for an hour and relax. Schedule a night out with a friend. Try to schedule something fun once a week to look forward to and as a reward for doing all of the other great things!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i dont use a humidifier with a filter due to the molds that can grow in the filters .

and the one i have now doesnt have filters or cause mold in the house since its so small it only blows near my side of the bed .

and yes you dont bleed from anemia - how much you bleed if cut relies on your platlets not your red blood cells/

now they may ask you if you have heavy bleeding from your periods as that can cause anemia .

Most woman who still have periods are usually in need of some iron and - you can google and see some things you can look at that may tell you if you may be that you can look at your lower eye lids etc .

how much vitamin D do you take ? i know i have to take several times what the normal dose is .

a multi vit is good to take- alot of times we no longer get the magnesium calcium etc we need from diet alone and because we ar dealing with stressors need even more.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you no med insurance. But I take suppliments so keep healthy. I take a multivitamin, calcium, B-12,selenium for thyroid, omega 3's for aches & pains. Vit C & D & I haven't been sick once this yr yet! So It sounds like you need some acidolophus for your nausea and bowels they might be overrun with bad bacteria. Or B-12 for you tiredness it helps me and you can take 4 a day if you need to. I take 2 sublingual a day. If I was you I would eat more greens and veggies and raw foods! They are the foods your body needs most to repair itself. Good luck with your diet and feeling better! Get some exercise daily and some sunshine for your mental attitude. Yes take care of yourself first the house will always be there.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, so here's my run-down so far from what I have been able to research from what was said here (and THANK YOU so much for all the comments!!!!)
1 - get rid of the toxins (msg and aspertame - I unknowingly use one and didnt know the other was a toxin)
2 - eat more fresh foods - veggies primarily
3 - try to rest
4 - take a multi in addition to my d and b

Is that a good start? THANK YOU AGAIN everyone for taking the time out to help me!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Will your doc let you make payments? Any place that will go by your income? Sounds like you really need some blood work done. Or it could be just stress that is causing you to feel this way.

If you take an iron pill, buy the slow-FE as it is time released.

Rest and eating well will go along way too. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.