Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am rereading the tightwad gazette and it says to use soy flour and water instead of eggs in recipes. Does anyone do this?
My husband has high cholesteral (sp) so this would be a cheaper route to go according th the gazette.
Right now I use 1 whole egg and egg whites. So if it calls for 2 eggs I use 3 eggs. One whole and 2 whites.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I do that in pancakes and quick bread (banana or zucchini). Works just fine. :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I've used soy flour and water for egg with good results. I have also used 1 tsp. cornstarch and 1 tb. water instead of 1 egg.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I've used soy flour and water for egg with good results. I have also used 1 tsp. cornstarch and 1 tb. water instead of 1 egg.
I assume you are talking about for baking? I would like to try the cornstarch and water.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That's interesting. i've just used 1 egg and some tofu. I love that tofu absorbs the flavor of whatever it's cooked with. and it kind of has the same consistency as scrambled eggs.

:bigglass:

·
8,714 Posts
~I use soy flour in place of eggs in breads. It has a distinct soy taste while the bread is fresh but after freezing it isn't noticible. I also put multigrain cereal in my bread so it's REALLY healthy for DH's lunches. I do not like the taste of the soy in sweet breads and cookies though the the look and texture of the baked goods is the same as eggs. I'm trying to get used to it to cut out the cholesterol.~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts