Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation: 1 spare small bedroom houses several small pets in cages that need the temps at 73F minimum.

Last year, I kept the whole house warmer. I paid for it *grin*, ouch. House has natural gas furnace with programmable thermostat.

I am looking for a safe space heater for this room that would have a thermostat, preferably digital read-out so I can just set it and "forget it" but that's not required. Budget is under $100, preferably under $50 but from my recent research I'm not sure that's possible.

I've googled, I've read reviews, now I'm looking for your own opinions on brands or actual models that you own and trust.

Thank you in advanced for any suggestions! (other than save the $100 and get rid of the pets instead, hahaha)

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Last year at Walmart I bought space heaters for everyone at xmas. I got honeywell-energy smart,occilating units/ I paid about $34.95. If they tip over they shut off. I thought this was good w/ pets (and old parents). There is a temperature range from "Frost Watch-high.In between 65-80 degree steetings. I just love it to leave the furnace of and keep my feet warm. I recommend 2 small ones.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
No suggestion for brand....just make sure they have the auto-shut off if they tip over. Would imagine most all do.......but never know.

Is there a rug in this room? Will you be able to place it where it is not close to any fabric or burnable objects?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a carpeted room but I could put it on a stand to keep it off the carpet. I have various night stands.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We use oil filled electric radiant heaters (they look like old steam radiators) for supplemental heating. We love them! They heat up the contents/objects in a room and you can set them on carpet, no open elements to worry about a fire. They also come in models with a programmable thermostat, but we just turn ours off when we go to bed, so we opt for a non-programmable. You can get them for as little as $35.

Reactions: krbshappy71

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have a little oscillating DeLonghi SafeHeat heater. It is digital and has a remote, so I can turn it up/down without ever leaving the comfort of my bed quilts. It is small and almost silent, and you can set the fan to low or high. I believe you can crank it up to 90F, which is useful if you have a sick critter in the room, but you can also crank it down to 45F, if you are just trying to keep pipes from freezing. It has its own stand, so no worries about putting it on carpet. It also has a timer, if you want it to go off during the day or while you sleep. I use it in my bedroom to warm up the room before going to bed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We use oil filled electric radiant heaters (they look like old steam radiators) for supplemental heating.
Another vote for one of these. I have one in my sunroom for cloudy days or evenings. I like mine because after I turn it off it will keep the room toasty for hours instead of instantly cooling off. It is not great for instant heat (like we use in the bathroom) but it is great for keeping the temperature constant.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to update that I found an oil-filled heater, only 1 year old, from Craig's List for $12!

It has been working wonderfully!!! I love that it doesn't get too hot to the touch and I have not even noticed a DENT in my electric bill!

It is a Kenwood 2307K.

What a steal, have been using it since...I wanna say October is when I scored it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts