Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when I was a kid in the 1950's and the freezer in our refrigerator was about 12-square inches big. With 4 kids in the family to feed and school lunches to fix, Mom kept cans of whole chicken, tuna, salmon and SPAM as sources for meat because there wasn't much storage space in the refrigerator.

Since the recent money fiasco, folks have been trying to save money on food and have been purchasing SPAM thinking it was CHEAP EATS. I did the math and it AIN'T cheap. I can still find meat for $2.00 a pound or under. The breakdown also shows how much more we generally spend when we purchase single-serving amounts of foods.

Single serving - 3-oz. - 88-cents = $4.70 a pound

7-oz. - $1.62 = $3.71 a pound

12-oz. - $2.32 = $3.10 a pound

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Last time I bought SPAM, it's part of our "emergency foods" was a a big lot sort of store. I'm not sure what I paid for it, but not much. It's about at the end of its shelf life here though, I only keep canned goods for 2 years from when I get them.

Thanks for doing the math, I never thought to figure it that way!

Judi

·
Registered
938 Posts
I personally can ham when it's on sale for less than .50/lb, doesn't taste the same as spam, but it's good for flavoring (I too have a 12" square freezer!).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I only buy it on sale and only for the long term storage. And yes we do eat it, if I'm out of bacon or ham we will have it thin sliced with eggs and toast. We also always throw in a can or 2 when we go camping. Dh likes it sliced and fried for a sandwich, but I have to slice it thin thin and then fry it like bacon. I've also used it to flavor pinto beans. It's more of an emergency ration for us than anything. I also store the canned hams.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I don't get spam, but do get other canned meats. It is more pricey than fresh meats, but cheaper than deli meats most of the time. It's a way to get fish into the kids, they love tuna wraps, dh likes the turkey. I get it when it's on sale. Tuna works out to under $1.50/lb when on sale. Turkey a little more. But it's a great item for long term storage as well as bringing camping, where we have just a tiny fridge and freezer.

I've seen other spam type meats that were quick cheap but haven't tried them, perhaps as a fried meat to match with hash browns and eggs would be good. I'll have to try it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is SPAM good? Taste is so subjective..... Do you like cold cuts, pastrami, tins of deviled ham or potted meat spread? If you do, you might like SPAM. I think it's one of those foods you had to grow-up eating to enjoy it as an adult - like eating pickled herring - who thinks THAT'S good unless you've eaten it all your life.... Although my sister absolutely hates SPAM. But she ate more of it as a kid during post WWII rationing in Canada (before I was born).

SPAM can be sliced thin for sandwiches, or fried as a breakfast meat and prepared in casseroles - so it's really versatile. SPAM is a meat favorite in Hawaii. My son-in-law and I will split a can of SPAM occasionally when they are visiting. We're the only ones who actually like it. Once again, we both ate it as children.

I keep SPAM in my 72-hour Emergency Kit, which includes a variety of foods that don't require heating or refrigeration.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
They now have off brand spam with cheese injected in it....shudder.

And for the amount you get it is pretty spendy.
I'm currently all about the new Tuna in an envelope thing for emergencies. So easy to store.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Mmmmmmm, SPAM! I think here in Minnesota we're required by law to like it.

We love it sliced thin and fried for sandwiches with yellow mustard, cubed in pasta salad, and in place of ham in stuff like scalloped potatoes. It's good with eggs. It's also good run through a food grinder with onion, dill pickles, boiled eggs, and shredded cheese and then mixed with mayo for a sandwich filling.

It cuts easily with a wire cheese slicer.

We're looking forward to visiting the SPAM museum sometime. :)

Ooooo, I forgot our very favorite way to eat SPAM! I cube it and fry it, then use it to make Korean fried rice. Yum!

:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I buy the cheapo version of it called Treet. You can find it at the Dollar Store for a buck. I like it in moderation. DH keeps insisting that he hates the stuff, although he eats it and likes it just fine when I don't tell him what it is.

·
19,119 Posts
Spam

In Hawaii, it is easy to find SPAM cutters, which are just larger versions of the multi-wire egg slicers!!

A favorite recipe is to make SPAM musubi.

SPAM - sliced and lightly sauteed in a mixture of soy sauce, sugar and mirin (sweet rice wine)
cooked rice
nori - dried seaweed

If you have a musubi mold, you would lay a piece of nori flat, put the musubi maker on top, fill it with rice, then put on a slice of the SPAM. Push the rice mixture thru with the top of the musubi maker and wrap the nori around your musubi.

This is so funny trying to describe the process without access to visual cues. It's a very popular snack for all ages.

You could also pack the rice into a pan; chop the cooked SPAM and spread over the rice and then top with shredded nori.

Let me know if anyone tries this!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can get a reduced-salt :spam:. Also a reduced-fat :spam:. I wish they'd come out with one that was both.
I wish they would too!!!

We love it and rotate out of our Emergency kits on a regular basis.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Spam is an aquired taste. Either you likleit oryou don't in my opinion. I love it fried with mayo cheese and lettuce. My dh hates it. I usually by Treet. It's generally about a buck cheaper and tastes the same to me. I get it at Dollar general for .99 where the Spam is 2.79

·
Registered
112 Posts
I, too keep a few cans of Spam around for emergency use. Every few years here in MD, we have a hurricane that knocks out the power for a few days.

I usually buy a few cans for the stockpile whenever a coupon comes out. Last few years it has been a .75 coupon. I'll get my hands on 5+ coupons, wait until Triples roll around, and buy Spam for the stockpile.
Otherwise, I don't buy it.

Thanks for the price comparison, OP!

·
Registered
589 Posts
we too buy treet at the dollar store...I usually cube it with some potatos and make a hash, stir in a few eggs...wala! My boys love it with a dash of hotsauce and rolled into a tortilla.:chef2:

Reactions: Persimmon Lace

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Beth thanks for the idea! Why I hadn't thought of that...who knows! LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts