Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, each year, I plan a gift for DH without spending a thing. Ok, well...I use things around the house that have already been purchased...so I don't go out and specifically buy anything.

So, since you guys are all "self-proclaimed" frugals, like I am, I'm just curious what everyone does for Valentine's Day, since it is such a commercial, over-indulgent holiday. Do you skip it altogether? Do you celebrate on a smaller scale than others? Or do you go all out and break the bank?

For those of you who celebrate "frugally", I'd love to hear your ideas of what you have done/made!

We always make our own cards and sometimes our own candies. We have made DH candy and/or cookie bouquets (these are tons of fun), one year I cut 100 hearts out of construction paper and the kids and I wrote the things we loved about him, then covered the front door with them so he would see them when he got home. Those were some of the better ones.

Do you do anything neat or unique or homemade????

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
DD and I are making chocolate chip pancakes (going to try for heart shaped, but it's been a while) for dinner.

I bought a heart shaped cake pan years ago (great for making a Santa face too) and I am making an ice cream cake for dessert.

I told the Old Man not to get me anything for Valentine's Day. I know he loves me and nothing store-bought can show me he loves me more than a back-rub.

DD is giving her classmates lollipops (a few peanut allergies in her class).

I am making heart-shaped cookies and sneak them in the lunch boxes of DD and Old Man with a little cut-out heart.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Well, we dont buy each other gifts but we do cuddle and make a nice breakfast together. Since DH works nights and me taking care of the grandmother till 12:30pm everday we will probably just have lunch together :)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I normally make his favorite-est meal in the whole wide world (my least favorite to cook b/c it's messy and time consuming) which is chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and I think I'll make an italian cream cake for dessert, either that or yummy brownies. I have a valentines day card that I've been giving him for years, the same card. He has no idea......LOL! I think I'll give a massage that I've owed him for ages on a bet I lost, this year. We'll light candles and turn off the tv early :hubba:

I loved your idea of the 100 hearts and written messages of love. That's a GREAT one. I'm interested to hear how everyone celebrates frugally too. Great thread.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I love buying those big cheesy Valentines cards at the dollar stores, this one I picked up this year, has a Victorian heart on the outside, and when you open it, it plays, Let me call you sweetheart, and has a blinking heart. It's the size of a magazine. I know very cheesy, but theres something about these cards that bring back memories of when we all made the heart shaped folder and taped it on the front of our desks, and waited for it to fill up with cards. Oh, my guess I'm showing my age, are the kids today even allowed to bring in Valentines? Anyway, Hubby is also getting his favorite dinner, Chicken Parm with a side of spaghetti. everything is already here, so the cost was a dollar for the card.Priceless!!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
we're making dinner at home ~ shrimp from a beer rebate (free, 'cuz we ALWAYS have beer in our house:)) fondue (chocolate from leftover Christmas baking) & something else from the freezer. i like the love notes on the door idea!

·
Registered
908 Posts
On Valentines me and my girls make a yummy breakfast and cook something we all want for dinner. I bought them each a toy, and we make home made cards.

My oldest spent $10 on things for goodie bags for her class for their classroom party,

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Actually, we aren't going frugal this year. We've been doing real well with the Money Makeover, and I have a gift card for a local restaurant, so we'll be going out. Usually DH buys me flowers. I'm not so keen on roses, but he'll pick up something. I like carnations and daisies because they last so long compared to other flowers. He usually picks them up at the grocery store, where he can get quite a batch for $10. We make each other cards usually.

Jean

·
Registered
604 Posts
This made me laugh because last night my man looked at me questioningly and asked "are we doing anything for Valentines this year?" which translates to... do you expect me to send flowers?

Poor Guy - he tries so hard and will send me no occasion flowers 2-3 times a year but I ask him not to send them on Valentines day because they are three times the price of usual and I think that just sending them because you feel like you should isn't a good reason.

He still feels guilt (I think his previous girls have demanded them) and spends all valentines night appologising for not getting anything and feeling bad. While I tell him that I just want a snuggle and to tell him that I love him.

This year for Valentines we are over at his sisters house as she graduates from university that day. I will get him a card and probably a small chocolate treat (we are on a diet so I'm sure that he will appreciate a little something sweet).

Sometimes I wish that he was able to get something little together to show me how he feels (something that doesn't cost a fortune and is a bit creative) but it is just not in his nature. He just doesn't understand small gestures for him it is all or nothing. Then again I remind myself that I feel his love every day - he makes sure that I know how much I mean to him in an email or just a random I love you while we are watching television so I am blessed.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
v day

this is the holiday that we are doing "christmas" exchange--so we won't be frugal, but normally are........:yippee:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I will make a special meal, and he gives me flowers- I enjoy the beautiful deep red roses over candy any day.We exchange cards.We give bath products to the g- kids and treat coupons.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
My guy and I dont celebrate Valentine's, but I usually do something for my girls. I think this year, though, they are going to get a homemade card. I might make a coupon, "this coupon worth $5 in chore-free money" because sometimes things come up and the rule of the house is you have to do a chore for every $1 they are asking for. (school related activities do not fall under this, only if it is something like going to the movies, out to lunch, etc.) I don't want to just give them cash, though, as they will just blow it at the snack-shack. I want them to have to use the coupon for an event with friends.

Wow, it is the end of this week so guess I should start making my cards. Thank you for this thread to remind me I don't have to buy out the store to make Valentine's day special. I probably would have found myself standing in the aisle wondering what to get.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm in a long distance relationship and we live many states away from eachother so making a meal or something wasn't an option. I spent probably 40.- on V day gifts and another 10 to ship 'em to New England. Not my most frugal holiday.
I did make the card of course, I'm a big scrapbooker/cardmaker though so I usually make them myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts