Frugal Village Forums banner
181 - 200 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Kim I hope you are feeling better!

lol maggie. though cabbage and mashed potatoes are good or cabbage steaks. I still have half a head red cabbage that I need to do something with. maybe shred again for topping on fish tacos.

at least food costs were down this week w leftovers (no one else wanted) from family dinner we didn't pay for plus taken out last night for dinner, plus free museum visit. eating at home too. ds getting food at one job. only real waste was the discount cake that didn't agree..out for animals and gone fast.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
No unnecessary spending past couple days. Easier when work days. Tomorrow day off and have doctors appointment in city. Probably check the stores for good sales and pantry stock.
9/365

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Another ~$90 at the grocery. Mostly items from the list but a few extras fell in the cart. Snacks for DH, cat food, frozen convenience food. I was looking at meat, $5-7 per pound for chicken and ground beef, didn't buy any. We had leftovers for dinner.

Reactions: marthamfi and KimB

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
My gut hasn’t been right since last Friday. Decided to try probiotics again to help it recover. Researched and bought a brand that had higher CFU’s I had $4 of rewards and $4 off coupon towards its purchase. After a month of using it , l will add sauerkraut to my diet which I read is good for gut health.
picked up some good buys with reward apps and coupons. Dollar tree had the 64 oz Old Orchard healthy balance diet juices I use in my smoothies for $1.25. 8 oz cheese on sale for 1.98 and I got another $1 back on each of them so 98cents each.
Ate a late lunch at home so saved there, but had bought a beverage through drive through so need to call it unnecessary. I’m calling probiotic necessary as I’m tired of this nausea and stomachache
10/365

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Added up unnecessary spending for the year. 10/365/$78- goal is to keep this $ amount as low as possible when I do spend. Especially with vacation time coming up end of April.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Thanks dlrcpa nausea gone but digestive system still touchy. I forgot to start the probiotics until last night as I wanted to take it separate from morning meds.
Stopped at 2 local stores yesterday to do some bargain hunting. Left them both empty handed. Hubby was in different town today and he bought a 10# tube of 80/20 ground beef for 2.99/#. Also bag of frozen boneless chicken breasts for $2.99/#. We have been out of each for quite awhile since the price of meat went up
Time to meal plan to stretch it out with variety and what we have in pantry.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Boneless chicken breast still usually on sale here for $1.99/lb so I am taking advantage. Major chicken production in NC (south of VA) and MD (east of VA) so pretty accessible. I am also eating a lot of yogurt, cottage cheese, beans and peanut butter for protein.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
In 3 stores today while dh got some errands done in city. Came out with large bag of Donkey brand tortilla chips for $1 which was in app special of the day. Haven’t tasted them yet but good reviews. 50 cents for Kraft Mac and cheese to add to hot dishes. Pork chop sale. Least expensive meat we found so bought one package for supper. Spent $1.60 on lunch , not much but will call it unnecessary 11/365/$79.60.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Stopped to pick up a couple of things for this week, didn't even have my list with me, and stumbled on a store sale, 10lb bags of chicken quarters for 1.90. Score! I have to cut them and bag them for long term freezer storage. Tomorrow's sale paper shows them at twice that price, still a deal.

Redeemed my raincheck for .49 cans of tuna. Name brand.

Store app was freezing up on me when I tried to get the coupon for a product, store manager gave it to me for half price!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
wow that is an awesome deal ch! even twice that price would be. here unheard of... nothing to exciting except dinner this week so far is out of pantry and freezer. but walmart had creamo quart 2.97 each so got 3 will last a week here lol but since it went up everywhere 3.49 walmart 3.75 everywhere else. got my $50 for busfare back from ds..did load his transit card just before spring break and then he needed it again. I pay for a lot so since he is clearing like $1500 from working spring break and still has one job too and no bills so... doesn't need it for college.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
I’m getting addicted to searching for great deals in stores and combining rebates/coupons/rewards. Usually leaving stores with nothing as I don’t really need the deals I find. Did find 25 cent cans of condensed soups and 25 cent boxes of instant oatmeal at the dollar tree. Had a $5 gift card to fazolies so had the lunch deal. Got a free candy bar.
signed for yet another rebate app
My hair was way over due for coloring. I had a box of hair color so did it myself. Necessary in my mind. My mom still colors her hair at 78, I don’t want to look older then her. A point made by my sister recently when she had her hair dyed.
12/365/$90

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Last day of March. Spent another dollar. My end of month goal was a fail but still saving way more then I used to.
Recap of 1st quarter:
3 months of taking lunches to work from leftovers- used to either buy lunch at work for $2 or run through fast food. Reduced cable bill, cancelled subscriptions. Adjusted to a lower thermostat setting. Not sure what the next bill will look like with new furnace and rising gas prices. Driving less often but still love an occasional road trip. I don’t wear makeup and I stopped wearing earrings. I’ve lost too many over the years and no longer feel it necessary. I haven’t bought any new clothes or shoes. I’m not into fashion but I do get excited over a new pair of comfortable shoes for working or hiking.
The pantry is full now with our sale/coupon shopping. Time to get back to meal planning. For April I have planned spending for the last week for a road trip. Hoping it’s warm enough to camp. We have a county clean sweep day on 23rd. I have list of things started to get disposed of that day. Spring cleaning did not happen last month, need some motivation. Anyone start a challenge yet? I’ll join if you do.
my husband really enjoys going out for a sit down meal occasionally. I will allow myself 1 a week with him if he wants without guilt.
reminder to self: I’m forming habits that we can maintain when I retire from nursing in 144 weeks, but who’s counting?
13/365/$91

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Thanks dircpa for the heads up on the declutter thread. Decluttered cleaners cabinet, tool drawers, couple junk drawers. Found extra cords for our phones.
I'm still having fun bargain hunting, so more spend days but keeping the unnecessary spending very low. (but still all on junk food ). Today 1/2 gallon milk 74 cents. Picked up 2 colgate clearanced gum renewal toothpastes at 50 cents a piece after 3 dollar coupon. Used coupon on suave shampoo at family dollar that gave me enough for $5 bonus. Bought # of red grapes for 1.89. Looked for free gelato from an app but they didn't have the flavors required.
Made some lentils and dh going to add them to his chili. I added some to the stuffing mix for extra filler.
Raked up around the house with dh and brought a couple big bags of it to town yard waste drop off site.
Making chicken breasts in slow cooker.

16 /365/$94

·
Registered
839 Posts
I also cooked up the last of my local lentils last night and brought them in to go with my quinoa and veggie salad for lunch. I'm guest-lecturing in an out of town class and trying to pre-eat or prepack my snacks etc so I don't end up eating out with the instructor who is also a friend. We need chat, but maybe just over tea or on the drive. We ARE carpooling so we don't both pay for gas. Also keeps me from running errands that can wait hence avoiding impulse shopping.

181 - 200 of 250 Posts