Frugal Village Forums banner
201 - 220 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Maggie. You’re doing great!
I’m falling into my bad junk food habit. “What’s a dollar or two? I can afford it. I deserve a treat”. Etc Mind games. The sugar makes me tired then I want caffeine to wake me up. I won’t give up.
Determined. Pushing the mental refresh button.
17/365/$96.50

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Trying to limit the treats and junk food here too. Not buying any easter candy. I won't give up caffeine, but I only have 2-3 cups of tea, or 1 cup of coffee per day. Not someone who constantly has the pot going. Still have half a bag left from our pre-covid trip to Costa Rica, and was given 2 lbs for christmas, so I'm gonna drink it. :)

Have a group dinner on Sunday, thinking of making gingerbread. It came out well last time and it's not overly sweet. And I won' have to buy anything for it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
KimB: sugar makes me groggy later and bloated. But it is so tempting. I did manage to buy only a pear and some sunflower seeds instead of sugary crap while I was on the road for work> I got called out and didn't grab my handheld snacks. At least I didn't buy candy. And I only ate half the bag of sunflower seeds so I have those for later.
Trying to figure out if I need to do a grocery run this weekend or not.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Picked up 6 extra hours of work tomorrow. Used coupon apps for free snickers and free box of cereal. Few other 1/2 priced items.
Weather crappy again. Nice sunny day and 50°
expected tomorrow when I’m stuck inside. Just learned that if you hold down the zero button you can get the degree sign and this was the first time using it. Good night.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nice! I skipped several stores today because the gas it would take to get there, would negate any savings and nothing was an emergency. Just did the essential errands and headed home. Also remembered to pack a lunch! FINALLY. That way I could eat right before I went in a grocery store. Otherwise I wouldn't have eaten for hours and would have impulse shopped like usual. 2 boiled eggs and some rye crackers made me full enough I wasn't even tempted.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Ended up only needing to stay one hour extra as cna's picked up the cna hours needed. The extra money would have been nice but I was able to go to my moms and see my brother who was visiting for a few hours. He had a major stroke 7 months ago and lucky to be alive. He is walking with supervision now. Has not gotten any movement of left arm yet. No spend day.
WTG Maggie keep it up! Your posts keep me motivated as well. :)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Kim, I hope all goes according to plan. I'm reading but not posting much. Spent a lot to attend a relative's wedding over the weekend, so trying to avoid spending rest of the month. I have dog food & treats PetSmart coupons that I try to take advantage of to stay stocked in that department regardless.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Good Friday to you all. My plan didn’t work out with no spend past couple days but I’m ok with it. We have doubled our emergency savings with all the changes made in our spending since the first of the year combined with paying off our mortgage early.
Maggie. You got me thinking. What good is having enough money to retire if I’m in poor health. I need to now look at fueling my body with better food choices
Here’s to #healthierspending

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
We have been good with the no spend last couple of days except for some basic groceries. and well my easter choc from local chain that is a must lol family is discount choc etc from last year kept in cold closet. russell stover, eggs w nerds sweettarts etc, sour patch bunnies all on clearance last year..they love it so works. ...Entertainment at home from library. Some movies are worth seeing on the big screen ..ones we got nope lol Had first pedicure since last year ..you get points each visit and turns out had $20 to redeem so that was half price.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Been eating Easter leftovers. Ham, cheesy potatoes,orange fluff salad through lunch today. Picked up free # of bananas at Kwik trip (2 bananas) lol Used $1 off coupon for energy drink. $1.29 for barbecue rib sandwich. Unnecessary but grandsons enjoyed the bananas. Quick supper after long day at work. And the energy drink will get me through tomorrow with more pep.
30/365/about $130
#whataboutvegetablesandmorewater?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yum! I love left over ham and potatoes.

I did spent 1.50 on food today at a rural store. We had stopped for the bathroom and I like to spend something. Since I'm eating healthy this week I grabbed an apple and a bag of peanuts. Such a deal! Still under 50$ for groceries this month. so far...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Back from 6 day road trip around Lake Michigan. It was on my bucket list as we did the Lake Superior circle tour a couple years ago. We spent $338 dollars . We paid daughter to care for our dog, gas for 1420 miles on the road -our Outback averaged 34 mpg- we have national parks pass (husband got discount on senior annual pass), lots of snacks and eating out but used many coupons, rebates, specials. Also brought snacks from home. Brewer baseball game with parking, 3 hotel stays and 2 nights slept in back of subaru that we put mattress in for sleeping. Our sleeping bags kept us toasty warm when the temps dipped in the 30's. We came home a day earlier than planned to save on spending any more. Could have been much more frugal on food, but we loved it , and glad to be home. It was cold and windy along the lake but we got lots of exercise, walked out to many lighthouses, climbed 300 steps to a trail to overlook, climbed Sleeping Bear national park Dune and walked along the shoreline. Saw the start of tulip blooming In Holland Michigan. I'm exhausted LOL. Husband already picked up part time jobs that will cover the trip.
Hope all you are doing well.
Taking mom out for lunch tomorrow and then back to no spend.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Decided to pick up chicken tenders and sides to take to moms yesterday. We had grandsons visiting. $18 fed 5 people and brought home enough for a couple more meals. Would have spent more for less food if we ate in restaurant. Mom made potato salad and sent us home with some of that too as well as potato soup she made too much of. Good to be back home with family.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Cancelled auto renewal AAA membership. $83 dollars saved. Used various rebate/coupon apps to save $9 on $15 dollars of groceries today. Tomorrow back to work after 8 days off.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Lost track of my no unnecessary spends. Same issues. Dollar spent here and there on unnecessary food and beverages at “great deals” with savings apps/coupons. Also a few “I deserve it” Unfrugal entertainment spends. Going to try something different and give myself a set amount for entertainment/unnecessary food/beverages/take out this 2 week payperiod. Will try to save what I can from it.

201 - 220 of 253 Posts