Frugal Village Forums banner
221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
KB: Fun and profit!!!

I managed a couple of no-spends which is a good restart. Recalculated my fuel supply today, knowing I will be somewhere this weekend with higher prices when the tank was low. Better to buy early here on the rez where it is 25cents cheaper most of the time.

I microwaved an extra potato this morning at work because we'll be away from the office for lunch and last time I didn't bring lunch...ok, I did, but I didn't eat it....I relearned that lunch on the runs is EXPENSIVE...dang it. Found 10lbs of potatoes (some a bit soft) at the sad produce area for 1.99 the other day so got that and will plant the ones with big eyes starting and eat the rest with the 99cent fake-yogurt (I avoid dairy) and/or boiled eggs for lunches out of the office.

·
Registered
839 Posts
KimB; how are you doing?
I am struggling tower may 'no spend' days goal this month but have had a few wins.
Using the library WiFi hotspot for 2 weeks instead of paying for it anymore. And I remembered to ask the auto shop to use cheap oil, not pure synthetic, in my crappy old car. Saves a few bucks...which will go toward gas

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
MaggieTru I’m doing well. Not perfect but adding to my savings. Needed to have another talk with cable/internet/landline service. They increased the price of all three. I cancelled landline bringing me back to original billing.
working extra hours this week which is fastest way to increase savings.

·
Registered
839 Posts
KB: Yep..I'm eliminating what I can! Trying to find ways to drive less and shop less...
Today I had a 4 hour gap between errands and an obligation. Would have been 10$ in gas to go home and back (25miles each way), so instead I knocked out a couple more errands, then found a quiet small park and called my mom to chat. That kills an hour...also she's great. I walked from the park to the obligation location where I am now using the free wifi until my volunteer slot time comes up.

Boring but effective.
Canceling wifi at my place also keeps me from online shopping/browsing crap which just makes me want crap. Instead of that internet surfing, I planted a bit of the garden yesterday and will try to get more in tonight. I had good luck with beans so am replanting lots of saved beans (dry beans). Probably sounds late to be gardening but I've got a mid june frost date so this is early to plant. And we're having a COLD spring

Good luck with the extra hours. It does increase savings! I am salaried so no overtime or over hours pay.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Maggie your baked potato for lunch reminds me of a letter in ask a manager where someone was upset how he ate baked potato just like an apple..for lunch.. went to hr etc.

instead of getting a new patio table (glass shattered in storm) last year..dh cut a new top out of plexiglass we already had for ages. just a cheap set from walmart but still gives lift to it until chairs go.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Going to hr over a potato! Good grief.

There were free lunches at work yesterday. They were for workers doing s community clean up day. I had a zoom meeting so was skipping the free lunch but later in the day they put out an email that there was tons of food left so we went over and grabbed some fore the office for the week and I had one for dinner.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Martha: EW!!! "sexy" eating a potato? Gross. But yeah, i do non-standard lunches that people find odd. I worked with a guy who would eat a pork chop out of a ziplock bag. I thought it was a great idea...no utensils, no grubby hands, high protein. Others thought it was gross.

As for the spend less goals this year....

I procrastinated getting fuel yesterday and the price had dropped 15cents this a.m.! Yay. So I jumped on that.
Friends borrowed my pick up, I use their shower now and then so I thought it was a great chance to pay them back, but they left me some coffee, organic carrots and a package of blueberries. So much for paybacks. But they needed to haul a thing and not renting a truck saved them $$ so I suppose we're all happy.

I also asked a friend for 2 yards of red thread to repair a button so I didn't have to buy a whole spool of thread for 1 fix. She just dropped it off, we work together. I'll hand her some eggs next time I see her. Getting my barter system going I guess!

I over ate free lunches earlier this week, which saved $$ and limited waste. Today I am trying to fast, other than making some free coffee and drinking lots of water, to get back to calorie baseline and saving today's lunch for tomorrow's road trip to the flea market in Montana. I'll contribute to fuel and share my lunch supplies so I think it will be a cheap trip.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Have a fun and safe road trip. I would happily trade you sewing supplies for fresh eggs, too.

Going through the freezer and fridge trying to figure out what I can make easy dinners out of. Glad I had a few pre-cooked things in there. DH is upgrading my computer this weekend, he's been digging through boxes for salvaged cables, parts, and screws. He never throws anything away. We did have to buy some new parts, but it's not like getting a whole new system for big $$.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
I use a loyalty card at local gas station for deals, rebates, Cents off gallon of gas deals. I built it up to 78 cents per gallon off up to 30 gallons in one purchase. We waited until both our cars were close to empty and filled them both at the same time to take advantage of all 30 gallons. Saved us $23.40. Spent last 3 days at my moms caring for my brother who suffered a stroke and disabled. Vacation days/pay used this week. It went well but good to be back home to sleep in my own bed instead of a couch. Off through Monday yet. I’m thinking about buying a new pair if work shoes. No support left in the pairs I have. 4th day of eating leftovers of large pan of lasagna I made. Tastes better every day.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
that is a score with gas being what it is now! Parade is back on so that will be the free entertainment for the weekend. plus close by the house. if it doesn't rain hard!

Yes Maggie the complainer said he was eating the potato sexy so it was harassment. I think that is smart why not eat that way ..no diff then a cheese stick etc. I mean the background of cornish pastie was for miners to eat and the pastry edge to hold and get grubby. You know if people are going to have a problem with something they will find a way. here is a link but did end up on ask a manager too. like the one where person lunches were getting stolen out of work fridge and the thief complained to HR they were too spicy and the lunch person got fired. turns out thief/hr having an affair and when the boss came back it all got sorted out cus just wow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/jdnt43

·
Registered
839 Posts
Martha; just w.o.w.
Kimb: sorry about your brother. My colleague is dealing with his dad who had a stroke and sorting out care duties. A challenge on many levels.
The gas deal blows my mind! Way to go and to maximize the value.

I did pack a lunch yesterday for a group road trip...then blew it starting with some cookies that were 'too good to pass up" and one more drive thru at the end of the day. Darn! I guess we saved on 1 meal. I got great deals on 2 items on my list and got 2 more ... a handpushes plow and handpushed wheeled weeder ... for super cheap. 25$ each. Left them at my friends' for 2 spot welds and they will mean no more need for having them come down with the power tiller! I can maintain the plotsa with these, my broadfork and the little handpushed wheeled tiller.
Also dropped my chickens off with them for babysitting while I am gone in June. . That did save me an extra drive so about 10$ in gas.

I am doing 'junkless June' to try to get a handle on my recent affair with drive thru food. At least I didn't 'sexy eat' my French fries and cookies at anyone!!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Checking in. Still watching for deals, rebates, coupons, loyalty points, cents off fuel deals. Problem is I get too many unhealthy snacks. Still adding to our savings with each paycheck.
Made my first clothing purchase of the year. A much needed pair of shoes for work. My legs and feet feel better at the end of the day.
Planning a camp out with the grandsons in my moms yard in the country this weekend. We’ll save on campground fees and the shower and toilet are much nicer.
Second COVID booster shot tomorrow at work.
hoping not to be affected by it as I have the last 3 shots.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
KimB I am with you on the shoes but mine are for dog walking. Probably need new ones soon. I like New Balance best but not seeing any good sales at the moment. I was also looking at summer sandals which ARE on sale but I don't really need them yet, next year would be soon enough.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
I've been spending unfrugally recently on unnecessary entertainment and travel. Back on track today. Need to check in here daily for motivation to think and plan before spending and traveling.
Day one of 21 to try to eat healthier and get in 5 servings of fruits/vegies. Will need to pick up some fresh fruit and vegies. I have very little for canned vegies. Need to dig through the freezer and use up some frozen fruit and vegies.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
My fruit and veggies plan worked for 1 week then vacation and camping 🏕 happened and ate lots of junk. Did lots of hiking though.
Vacation time with the grandsons was not frugal but it was wonderful to spend time with the grandsons.
tomorrow is another fresh start. Need to post more often to keep accountable
@MaggieTru how’s Junkless June going for ya?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Have lots of vacation time to use up by August 15 and road trips planned. Trying to plan for frugal get aways for some of the days. Our town just had the best family celebration for the 4th. Business's set up so many fun, free activities for families to participate in. I went with my son and his GF's 2 young ones and they had a blast. It was good to see the community get together and having fun together as families and a community.
I'm still addicted to rebate apps and stopping at stores for the free/50% off or more deals. Yes I get some things I usually wouldn't buy, but it is fun trying new brands as long as they are a great deal and I share a lot of it with my family. Summer is definately harder for me on no spend spending days. No big purchases lately, I did buy grandsons early birthday present. When we went camping I noticed their water bottles did not keep liquids cold very long and they drank more when the water was ice cold. I bought them insulated water bottles that fit in their car seat cup holders, in their favorite color, and keep fluids cold for 18 to 24 hours. I gave them early so they could use this summer while camping, and at t'ball games. They love them and hopefully won't lose them.
Oh, I did purchase a columbia rain jacket that was 75% off. I didn't own one other then the cheap plastic ones that look like garbage bags.
Continue to add at least the amount we used to pay for our mortgage payment to savings.
Fast food is a problem area yet.
Take care all.

221 - 240 of 250 Posts