Frugal Village Forums banner
241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
I get behind on long weekends!!!! So much catching up to do online. seems everyone else at work has crises today so right now it's just me...nice.

Managed a couple of no spends this weekend! even with a day in town. That's rare for me. I did have to spend too much on fuel due to lack of pre-planning. Got just enough to get me back here to work where it is 35cents cheaper. Having to strategize on that moreand more.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We were excited that things were looking up a bit. Moving our Disney monthly saving budget to now put it towards a trip to Boston next year. And then we are both getting small raises. So we decided to finally get the carpets replaced. They are very overdue. Signed the contract two days ago, and it was just a guarantee……my car’s check engine light came on. For an issue that will be costly to fix. 😑

·
Registered
843 Posts
Managing o stay home today until 9pm. Then an astrophysicist is giving a free night sky event. Really wantedm to go to a farmers market and thrifting but do not need a thing. Instead I am canning 4 pints dry beans So they are ready for salad topping and whacking the weeds. Less fun but cheaper. The beans may keep me from grabbing snacks or lunches out next week.
Putting some cabbage to ferment today too.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Hoping to make August low-spend. June-July had to pay a lot in various taxes, nothing to be done about it but still unpleasant. Pulling things from the pantry to use up. We're having the chimney mortar repaired this month - necessary. I am thankful hubby saw the problem before we had leaks. Don't know the cost yet. Will post updates.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Late to the party, but I'm looking into doing batches of beans and dal in the slow cooker and canning or freezing for later. I have done bbq beans from scratch using my grandfather's recipe, but have not tried preserving them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well my check engine light went off again. Husband decided to buy a code check thingy and it isn’t showing any. It was something in the evap system before and they replaced my gas cap because it needed it and said if that didn’t work the fix would be several hundred. Since it isn’t showing anymore, he thinks I just hadn’t tightened it properly. I hope so.
Either way, we will still have a few tight months (just, thankfully, not as tight now hopefully) to pay for the carpets and then a couch and I want to sell some scrappy stuff and nail polish to buy an older model Apple Watch, so those are the current goals.

·
Registered
843 Posts
my old honda throws an evap code often. Then it goes away. It's the aftermarket gas cap. I got a code reader thingy and if the engine light goes on, I check it to make sure it is still that. THen the light goes off a tank of gas or two later.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Filled the car with gas this week, probably first time in 2 months buying gas. No other spending except regular bills. I'll go to Safeway and PetSmart soon to take advantage of coupons. Got 1 estimate for the chimney masonry work. Another company is coming Thursday to look at what needs to be done, then we'll decide.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So excited. I set up my first Acorns account. DH has been using Robinhood for awhile, and I feel like it's time for me to start investing some of my own money, too, because our money is joint otherwise. We each get a little bit of "fun" money each month to spend on whatever we would like, and he invested his starting a year or two ago, and now I'm finally ready. I did a $5/week thing, but may change it. Have no idea what's going to happen, but I'm excited!

241 - 252 of 252 Posts