Frugal Village Forums banner
261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
September has been expensive. Not going crazy but keep finding little things I think we need. Harness for dog1 for car travel which we have been doing a bit more (safety). Dog2 is wearing my old dog's harness OK. I'm trying to figure out backyard lighting (bought solar to try but too shady to charge much) and bought more smoke detectors from Home Depot (safety). Also an outdoor timer/outlet gadget with remote control clicker for $20, going to run some old outdoor x-mas lights in back to see if that works cheaply (safety since I don't feel comfortable walking dogs along the street at night lately). Elevated dog bowl/feeder for dog2. Also made a big donation to the animal shelter where we got several pets when they urgently needed donations.
Overall hoping October won't seem so needy.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Ordered extra set of ID tags and microchip tags for dog1 and dog2, total $22. I found 2 old/extra collars to attach them to and a extra leash. The fire dept safety lecture recommended we pack extra collars and tags w/ our emergency supplies. Will get a small bag of their dog food next time there is a sale or coupon. Hubby is buying the LED replacement lights (for old fluorescents) today if Lowe's has them in stock.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Caught up on all the posts since I last posted many months ago. My attention has been on family and an foreign exchange student we were asked to host this school year. Awesome Netherlands student. We are going through a lot more food. He’s a 6’4” football player and weight lifter. He eats up any leftovers we have for breakfast when I’m gone to work early.
I got a raise at work which helps and using rebate apps, sales, coupons, to base My menu choices on. I’m enjoying finding ways to incorporate the ingredients I have on hand to make unique meals. Downside is my weight gain. I organized the freezer and put the older stock on top.
I was gifted a $50 gift certificate to a steak house by my boss for my 20th year of employment. Probably use it in January for my birthday. We have continued to add to our savings account. Avoided any large purchases. My downfall continues to be the small immediate gratification purchases.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Good to hear from you Kim.

Canned goods on sale this month so I bought some different beans and some diced tomatoes. Already stocked on those, but I'm putting "vegetarian" back into the menu plan this month. Want to get some frozen vegs but they seem pretty pricey right now, several dollars per bag. Didn't they used to go on sale for, like, .79? We're getting a big weather shift this weekend, so I'll be able to do more with beans, soup, curry, etc.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Still spending on small and large home repairs. It is inevitable. For example stair rail bracket broke. Found a suitable replacement but of course does not match the old ones exactly. Hubby installed 1 to try, will probably go back and buy 2 more to match it. Some good grocery sales and coupons so that has not been too bad. Repairing or up-cycling winter wardrobe so I am not tempted to buy anything. Have plenty, just tired of some things that look out of date.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Checking in. I’m slipping into bad habits and convenience/fast/take out food and meals. I haven’t touched the savings so that’s a win for me. Our investments showed an increase this month instead of another dive finally that’s a positive.
Our student will be here through May. His parents and sister will be visiting for a weekend in April. Simon says they want to get a hotel here in town. They can’t believe how inexpensive it is compared to the Netherlands. They just want to meet us and see him, his school and town etc. They want to thank us in person he says.
I have the day off and lots on my to do list that I’ve been avoiding. It’s a rainy and gloomy day. I need to get motivated. I’ll check back in later as my accountability.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Another house thing had to be replaced - laundry room faucet was leaking. It was only 2 years old. More plumber costs and a new faucet. Not major, just really annoying.
Buying yard bags for leaves but they are cheap and I can rake. Pickup is included in the trash fee. Neighbor is raking into a giant pile and says they will get a vacuum truck. I don't see how this saves time and certainly does not save money. Doing well with groceries - sales and coupons. Had to take 1 dog to vet at end of October, unexplained vomiting. I guess it's good they did not find anything wrong but ran a lot of $$$ tests. Other dog got sick with the same thing and I just waited it out. :(

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Good to hear from you all as well. I got done way more then usual 2 days ago. I need to stick to a shopping list when I shop and not buy something just because it’s a good deal.
Today I worked extra hours and used that as excuse to get take out. I should have planned better and had something in the crockpot.

261 - 272 of 272 Posts