Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Chiropracter appointment today for my back pain which has improved since last weeks adjustment. New insurance plan year. It will be covered under my employer paid deductible. Gifted $10 for my birthday. I'll see how long I can keep it in my wallet. It's the only cash in my wallet. No eating out day 3. Caffeine withdrawal headache, thankful I have large bottle of headache pain medicine. I've dealt with the pain long enough today. My 3 and 6 year old grandsons are visiting and grandpa has them playing ninja warrior, setting up a 'course' for them. DH made chili out of pantry supplies. He doesn't like noodles in his , I added the left over noodles from the mac and cheese to mine. Our bichon is 11 years old today. No gift purchased. Need to write up a grocery list tonight for Aldi's stop tomorrow. Also need to find where to get my new omeprazole med cheapest.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I need to go though the pantry more cus definitely need pantry challenge. be boring and just get what most of the family will eat. ds threw out the olives in the fridge that didn't get eaten. dh was need lunch meat said no ds can eat the lunchmeat chicken or canned tuna etc..dh has stuff for lunch. . at least lots of leftovers go to birds. though the leftover peas and carrots..carrots still out there why outside animals don't eat them who knows why. I did send one bag to food bank of new stuff..like minute rice never going to use it. and made another pile downstairs to go..added shampoo etc too. so just not stuff we won't use or extra. really though just spent about $250 on stuff this week cat and household too.. shouldn't need much for a bit. except dairy etc but then that is easy $20 a time. ds on a eating binge again but being fussy.

did get deals on hotdogs so 3 for freezer..made a pot roast using stuff up in the veggie drawer and freezer. found half price small brisket for freezer. bunch of mark downs in bakery yesterday. so much candy etc so really no excuses for a few days.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Water/sewer bill and waste management bill came today. Every 3 months due.
Dh not feeling well, states it 'just heartburn' from a bowl too many of his chili he made. Gave him some mylanta. Helped but definately didn't "works on contact' as the bottle says. He wants to rest for awhile. Grandsons went home. Praying it's nothing more then heartburn. He was just out of state for a football game, he better not have picked up a virus or have a heart problem vs heartburn. Heavenly Father keep him safe.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
KimB, hope it is just indigestion.

I safely drove past the grocery store today without stopping to get anything. We don't need anything. We don't have room for anything. Yet the desire to go see what is on sale remains. I will need to get some vegs for next week, but not today.

I remembered last night that I have two more turkey breasts in the big freezer. Planning one for later this month. Have to eat the stuff in front of it first.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Yes, thankful for nurses and wish everyone treated them better, pay and benefits, etc.
Kim if you live near a Target I would always check their price. I "converted" a few years ago, amazed at the difference between grocery store & CVS prices vs Target (better).

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
dircpa- thank you for the info , I'll check target for the omeprazole, if not this month, next
Dh feeling ok today, just very tired. Probably from all the traveling.
Did some grocery shopping for sale items that can be used in baking and cooking the next couple weeks. DH and I worked together. I took a separate cart for a couple limit one per customer items at one store. Then went to Aldis . Will start a best price notebook.
Our waste management bill didn't look correct to us, so dh took into the business office before he paid it and sure enough our billing statement was mixed up with someone elses. $41 difference saved.
No eating out day 4. This is very unusual for use when we drive to the city to shop. I made potato soup when we got home. DH had a dermatologist appointment so we decided it was good day to get the shopping done

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Good morning.
Started my price book with the purchases yesterday. With Dh doing all the grocery shopping the past couple years I really lost touch with prices. I am well aware and ashamed of how much I spent on eating out/take out. I will no longer tell myself 'I deserve it' just because work is stressful and I work and DH is retired. It was also partly due to my moms health issues the past 6 months and eating out with her after her appointments and lab draws which were at least weekly. She is now well enough to drive herself to appointments. I'm also a creature of habit and it was just what I did. My habits are changing for the better. I now need to control my portion sizes with this homecooking tasting so good.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
I've been meaning to do a grocery price book, because prices are up and down and all over the place. I've saved my receipts for the past year to have a sample set of data to work with. I just dread sitting down and doing it.

My coffee habit has been cut back as far as it will go. I was spending on to-go coffee drinks several times a week, along with shopping. A few years ago I cut back to once a week (and quit shopping for entertainment). Since COVID, it's been once every two weeks. I do drink coffee at home, but it's not about the coffee, it's a mental health day out of the house. I combine with errands when possible. I used to sit in a coffee shop and read or write and relax. Now they're closed, so I sit in my car at the park.

·
Registered
655 Posts
KimB: that "I deserve it" thing has trapped me in the past! Hard one to combat.
CH: I have had a coffee out habit as well and spent 2021 really battling it. Being "work from home" which is 25 miles out of a real town for weeks in 2020 really pointed out how much I spent so in 2021 I cut the "coffee out" line in my budget to mostly 0 each month, unless I had a friend who really wanted to go out for a treat. This year is the same...very low on that, more home made coffee in a travel mug for me! Also drinking more tea because it is even easier to transport a tea bag or 2 and just get hotwater somewhere to make a fresh cup when I am out and about.

I am still on my "no spend on clothes" and this morning when I noticed by sleep sox (formerly boot sox that were worn down) were dissolving off my feet! I have darned the cuff and now the heal just ripped as I took them off. Being on a "no spend" I immediately saw them as potential fingerless gloves or parts of mittens or something.

Still doing my 2 month pantry challenge too. I was heating up the woodstove last night after I got home, dug out the drive, re-beddinged the chicken coop, collected eggs, etc etc etc and figured since I would be standing next to the stove warming up, might as well make soup and bread for today. It worked out. Now I have 2+ meals of lentil soup with rye berries and some sort of bannock type bread. The bread isn't great but dipped in soup it will be fine.

I couldn't get to the gym for bad roads so that saved me 5$ in gas. I really need to get there for my back, but getting in a wreck or stuck in a ditch is not good for my back either.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Accountability post for today. I have drove straight to and from work past week. I'd be curious to know how much I'm saving on gas. Might need to figure out an approximate cost per mile and give myself another positive motivator for saving money. No headache today with no diet coke for 6 days now. I drink more water but not enough. I've had a fruit smoothie every morning and remembering my vitamins. For free entertainment I'm following a bible study podcast each evening. I cancelled Amazon Prime as of January 14. We will be binge watching some movies from it until then. We also enjoy playing cribbage.
I will be looking into chicken recipes based on what I have on hand. I asked DH to get the chicken breasts that were thawed in fridge into slow cooker this morning with some cream of chicken soup and I'd figure it out from there. It smells good. My fridge is full , especially with all the items my friends gave us from their fridge. They were leaving the state for 3 months and didn't want to waste anything.
Kim

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
I did pretty good at the grocery store today. Stuck to my list of basics, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, milk, eggs, DH's sweetener and low fat spread. Two frozen entrees and a pack of marked down pork cutlets fell into the basket. Also bought some cans of cat food, cause one of the girls is fussy, and we weren't able to get her food delivered this week due to shortages. Total: ~$75.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
We all have our vices and habits and sometimes it is just life too..can't do it all at the same time. I think just budgeting some fun money too is important. Or figuring out if cheaper at home or not. I know I can get a lot of chinese food for same as buying all the ingredients to make it. (spoiled here for food) use coupons etc. but I can get better quality food like the vietnamese last night as I would for a burger meal at mcds for same price. friend and I usually go for breakfast once a week too but is cheap. rest well eating what you have, following sales etc.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
M, yeah, the frozen entrees were a bit of a splurge, but they keep me out of restaurants so in the long run it is a savings. $5 vs $15 or more for a lunch. Trying to find that balance between being financially responsible and living a good life. Got take out for dinner, we plan for that once or twice a month as a treat, again it's a balance thing.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Made some extra money today. I got called back into work as 2 aides were sent home sick. I’ll get a bonus as well. Usually $50 for 1/2 a shift along with hourly wage. It will help cover the cost of our gas fireplace parts and fixing today.
Day 7 no soda or out to eat. I’m hoping to be off omeprazole In a few months if I eliminate soda from my diet.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
that is great kim! well since house assessments went up like 30% so property taxes are up and plus just up period. our city loves spending money..kinda if we are building so many more condos aren't all those property taxes in the budget but they just come up with new ways to spend it. so up 5% plus the extra assessment ..dh is lucky to get 2% raise per year..me no way . gas electric etc all up too.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Martha- costs certainly are rising. Everyone deserves a raise. Sorry you do receive one annually.

I checked our property taxes compared to last year, due to an increased state lottery tax credit ours actually went down 20 dollars. We have not made any new improvements to our home. To help our energy bill I reduced the thermostat 2 degrees. DH and I are dressing in layers now. I'm also curious if more energy efficient refridgerater is going to make a difference in this months bill. Also using slow cooker more and stove less this week thinking it is more effecient but not sure. I invited grandsons over for free entertainment today :)

21 - 40 of 91 Posts