Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
no not going to get a raise..looked at job postings for the company (actually usa one) and they aren't done well..say fulltime but 12 to 20hrs a week 16.50 to 18 a hr plus you have to use your car. min wage here is 15.20 so not surprised they don't get enough people. suits me ..company doesn't like our mand. rules up here and govt just mandated 5 paid sick days for all workers (because of covid )since most people don't have paid sick days. would be a first for me having paid sick days so they won't be happy about that. they are in a at will state. I get $18 a hr so nope but it suits me.

next goal is to get dd to get a job (anxious about it) and nag dh into filling out the form for her inheritance from mil. will but put in a gic. she can pay rent then. rents etc are so expensive here no kid is moving out soon. but I don't mind as long as they work etc they can save money for a place and pay nominal rent.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Health insurance cost went down because income-based (quit working in 2020). Have resisted buying anything except dog food because had $10 PetSmart coupon. Hubby has been buying groceries but I'm making a Target pick-up grocery list for next week. Have $1 CVS Extrabucks and coupons so may get food items - cereal or granola bars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
rules up here and govt just mandated 5 paid sick days for all workers (because of covid )since most people don't have paid sick days. would be a first for me having paid sick days so they won't be happy about that. they are in a at will state.
"5 paid sick days for all workers" That is little. In Germany you get 72 weeks ! sick pay if you are in the statutory health insurance.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Will go to my mom's for lunch and watch Green Bay Packer football with my brother. She's making chili, I made a devils cake with german chocolate icing. I'm now out of brown sugar, coconut, mixed nuts. I'll also bring rolls that need to be baked.
Dh has picked up driving jobs past 3 days. My only money spent will be my church offering this morning.
Have a blessed Sunday.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Stayed home today except enough of a trip to warm up the car engine Abe get it off the worst ice in the driveway. Found some old caked up salt and repurposed it into ice melt. I am supposed to cut my sodium intake so won't eat it anyway. Hopefully it will help with the driveway

Cleaned the coop and put the poopy bedding on a future garden plot.

Once I close up the chickens for the night and stretch my legs, I think I can fix my snow shoe and get another few years out of it

·
Registered
52 Posts
We pay off our credit card every month, so I stopped thinking of it as a bad thing. Then I looked at my bill for December (granted, we've had weird weather so it included weatherstripping, heaters and things like that, but still...). I took my credit card number out of Amazon and dropped my Prime membership. For someone trying to be frugal, it just isn't a good idea to have an easy way to spend money. Now I have to go get the debit card, input the card and all my information again, and immediately subtract what I'm buying from the bank account.

So why do I have this urge to sit down in the middle of the floor, do a toddler wail and scream "I want a pony -- with Prime delivery!"

Time to return to old fashioned crafts and house projects that mostly cost time and creativity. I need paint and primer for the walls more than I need the pony. Really.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Maggie I keep telling myself "I can just get one more year out of this"....coat, boots, etc., etc.
I was using hubby's old iPad since the pandemic in 2020 to read e-books. Last fall the library app upgraded and no longer works on the iPad. And the iPad no longer gets updates since it's so old. Hubby volunteered to look for a cheap iPad for me but I don't want another device to maintain. Converting to a smart phone in September was traumatic enough (and my old flip phone was so darn cheap but ATT is killing its 3G network so I had to upgrade.) Anyway - have learned to use the new phone for audio books (library app works fine) and can get some free Amazon kindle format e-books to still work on the old iPad. Fingers crossed to get through 2022. Of course the library is open and I can always go get paper books but I got "spoiled".

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
MMe- Amazon prime cancelled by me too. Way too convenient to spend.
I only carry my debit card. I put my credit card away and will only use it for large purchases to get 1.5 % cash back reward and only if we have saved to pay off immediately
No unnecessary spend day 9/365 I’m determined to get my spending under control this year and save for emergencies and retirement.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No you don't get any benefits besides federal rules and of course you have to know if your employer is screwing you over for overtime etc. I have never had a job w any benefits..contractor or small biz. EI healthcare is govt. thing so don't worry about that. but you can get extended health if you pay for it or part of your work benefits. like if dh got sick he would have sick days plus get disability insurance up to 2 yrs if he had long term illness and then probably switch to long term insurance.
I don't have amazon prime but sometimes wonder how they make money when I order stuff and comes in 5 different shipments. Yes I only updated my cell phone cus updates and couldn't run some apps. still a good phone but got on sale $450 years ago and to replace now $2k so lol not! if we are suppose to be saving the planet then maybe make it so we can use it longer. I tell you holding on to my washer dryer until they die. 25yrs and going strong.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
We have had 3 misbillings come to us past week. We got a bill for an appliance we paid for Over a month ago. The manager said he would fix it in their computer system. Pharmacy charged us for husbands anti rejection meds that should be covered by Medicare. They fixed that and refunded us. Then there was the garbage bill that we were over billed for. Watch your statements closely.
our dog is due for distemper shot and needs oral care. Appt for next month.
90 day supply of meds saved me some.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
being good and just the grocery order delivery and doing some paid work at home too. using up stuff at home for meals plus not driving last couple of days. crows get old leftovers etc. entertaining myself at home. found new places online to watch shows. cancel one streaming service for now. one other was just for one show that was over..bad streaming service too so wasn't keeping it. lots of new books from the library and new ones on hold. having the get dh to pick up pizza on the way home feeling but will be good and do something easy out of the freezer. just popped allergy pill so will be out of it by then.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Haven’t been to our library in years, definitely putting it on free entertainment list for when I have day off.
Hubby loves his ripple chips. He buys them on sale but now that I’m watching where are money is going closer, $2.50 for a bag of chips? Asked him if he can find a generic brand he likes for less. He agreed. I’ll try to make some homemade chips this week too. He also bought lots of fruit. All good deals and at least a healthy purchase our grandsons love fresh fruit and vegetables.
Time for work.
no eat out day 11/365. Staying determined

·
Registered
655 Posts
Did a no spend yesterday and might get one today. Still eating from the pantry and the chicken eggs that are popping out. Used up the last of the buckwheat honey to make some skillet bread. It was AMAZING! I will start on the jug of maple syrup next. Got another jar of honey for xmas. It's not buckwheat but is strongly flavored so I am looking forward to trying that in some cooking. I do have to do some driving today, but it is work and can use the work truck which will save me some $$ on gas and keep me from doing the thrift store tour while I'm in town. The work trucks have government plates so I don't like to park them in front of businesses even if I'm on lunch break or running work errands. Partly it is north idaho and anything "government" can be a target.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
congrats on no spend day MaggieTru
My hubby has been driving all day for extra income. I've been eating too much since I got home from work. I used to drink diet coke when I wanted to snack. Now I just snack more trying to satisfy the loss of that ice cold fizzy drink. My coworker bought me a diet coke the other day , I savored it for an hour lol. Drinking more water but at work with my N95 and shield worn most of the day it is hard to get enough water.
I picked up 4 extra hours of work this weekend.
cable/internet/landline bill came today - need to get that bill down. Would love to get rid of landline but DH feels it is necessary
No eat out day 13/365 -Actually it is 13 days of no spending on anything but groceries. fuel and regular bills, charity
Determined to follow through on my goals in 2022

·
Registered
655 Posts
KimB: I have been drinking 2 cups of water the instant I get up, and then another 2 on the way to work. Same issue when masked up! I usually do my coffee in the car as well. Then I spend the day at work peeing it all off! But that means I wash my hands a lot. I do shut the office door before lunch and power-drink some more water. And maybe a cup of tea. Glad I have the door to shut now and then.

Got invited to a lunch today, eventhough I am trying to do a no-dine month (with the exception of a delayed xmas dinner I owe someone). It was part of a field trip and I owe the work colleague/friend a favor on those, we don't like to do field trips alone because many areas here have no cell service, if you get hurt, it is a big deal. Anyway, one of her other colleagues with more expertise in that topic got released from quarantine so I am off the hook for the field trip and back on track to eating only from the pantry which saves big $$.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The water intake continues to be a battle . Another coworker bought me another diet coke. I accepted graciously, but now that I'm home I need to flush it out of my system. It was good going down but I don't want it in my system very long.
I've been getting an extra hour of work each day finishing up my charting, lab draws, nebulizer treatments, order entering etc.
Husband picked up driving job today. The family he drove gave him a platter full of various homebaked cookies. I won't be making any desserts this week. He asked my mom if we could take her out to eat tomorrow. He is aware of this months challenge, I guess I will be using one of my Christmas gift certificates for local cafe.
I was a day ahead of myself yesterday. Today is day 13 of 365 of not eating out or unnecessary spending

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
good for you guys! can't say I have been on a no spend but trying for sales etc. took mom to thrift store and finally got rid of the box of donations and bought some towels.. good ones actually very similar to what I have. have for decades but edges rough etc but still thick. hard to find good towels cheap up here. like lots of things older stuff better made. so someone dying or downsizing.. so 2 yellow bath towels, green bath sheet and couple olive hand towels. funny there was 2 dark green hand towels just like mine lol plus got a set of retro looking bowls and a plastic chamelon watering pot. then to safeway and more groceries on top of the stuff I got delivered.

I try to drink more water but at times can't deal with it in winter system wise but sparkling water w lemon like perrier but store brand I can drink lots off. so got some of that. don't ask me why like being pregnant you just do what your body wants lol

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Gave up soda years ago when I saw what it does to you. Can't drink diet anything, tastes like glue. We got a water filter because city water, while it meets all standards, tastes like mud. Filtered water has no taste, I don't think about it, just drink it.

Had to go pick up pills today. Got them and left. There was a woman running around the store wanting to know where covid test kits were because she had sick kids. Felt sorry for her, there haven't been any in weeks, but wanted out of there fast. Didn't buy anything but pills, and those are covered by HSA. Have mostly managed to stay out of stores so far this month.

Trying to stay on top of the leftovers better. Had to toss a tub of soup from December and half a dozen cookies that went moldy. Not happy. Warmed up the leftover gyro sandwiches from earlier this week for lunch. Not bad.

Going to stock up on vegs and dairy again on Monday. Looking at the sale ads this weekend.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Just finished 16 oz of tasteless water lol
Going over my cable/internet/landline bill again. My mission is going to be to get the bill reduced somehow. Cutting landline will save us 19.99 and 2nd t.v. receiver 8.99 plus tax a month. I'll start by calling them and see if I can get anywhere with a discount with my time on the phone. I need the companys internet for the deal we are getting with our mobile services .
Just watched a youtube video, Living on a dollar a day, reminder of how lucky I am not to live in poverty.
I message my mom the cafe menu to get her order, DH and I chose our options based on keeping bill within the $30.00 limit on my gift card. I'm determined to make it a nonspend take out. Will drink what we have at home or moms.
We are doing well gals, keep it up.

·
Registered
655 Posts
had to gas up yesterday so paid my monthly bills like the cell phone and storage unit (with my real furniture for my future home and my off season clothes) while I was at it. I think today, tomorrow can be no spends then and MAYBE through Monday since we don't have work and I may not need to drive. I have a little woodstove fan on order at the local hardware store, cheaper that way as there is no sales tax on the reservation...if I get it shipped to me the tax is charged. Anyway, if that comes in I need to go get it or someone else will poach it.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts