Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 80 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Update on my last post. I called the provider and got the friendliest young man. I told him my goal was to lower my bill. The outcome was that I could save more by bundling my landline phone with cable and internet then by cancellation of landline. I will drop off one of our receivers to save on monthly fee. Total saved is $44 a month, plus he gave me $10 off this bill. And because he saw we are loyal costumers we were eligible for an increase of our internet speed to 400 for FREE for 3 years. Our present modem and router support this or I would have declined. He told me to call next January for the next special offer. It’s on my calendar. It pays to make the call.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
WTG Kim, that $44 will add up and sounds like you only dropped service for 1 TV. Maybe you can hook a DVD player to it.
I have only paid medical bills and bought a few groceries so far this month. Filled the car with gas (only half tank) since a storm coming. Fortunately I rarely have to go anywhere. I have a $15 GC expiring next month that I need to use.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Sat down and put my feet up after another long day on my feet. The spent 5 minutes trying to get the remote to turn on the tv that is unplugged and without a cable receiver 😆
After I finish my water I’ll just take a nap. It’s free 😀 .
Reminder to check your furnace filters. Our furnace kicked off a couple days in a row. I hoped it was something simple like a dirty furnace filter. Oh my it was so bad. New one in and no more issues.
Left a note to my dh that there was sign of mouse being in cabinet under sink and if could set up some traps. Got home and he had bought more traps. We have some already. He didn’t open them yet so I’ll bring them back for refund.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Went to Aldi and the local grocery. Both looked like they were due for a truck, but there was plenty of food. Maybe not specific things, but plenty to go around. Spent $48 at Aldi, mostly fruit, vegs, eggs, bread and a pizza. Unplanned purchases of snacks for DH ($7) and 4lbs of boneless chicken breast that was also $7. The only thing I could not find was paper plates. Lots of styrofoam, though. Plenty of TP. Orange juice case, and frozen processed chicken case looked emptiest.

Spent $70 at the larger grocery, more vegs, bread, dairy, and assorted household items. $20 was cat food, big bag for outdoor cats and they had 4 little cans in a flavor my allergy girl can have so I grabbed them. $12 on dishwasher pods, big box. Other unplanned purchases, two .50 bags of chips for DH, 2 cans tuna @ .85 ea, 2 frozen burritos, 1.33 ea, and $5.62 on a marked down steak to be used for barley soup. Again, almost no paper plates and lots of styrofoam, very little OJ in the refrigerated section. Frozen food cases looked like I'd expect the day after the local major league football playoff game.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Sounds like you overall stuck with your list/plan for shopping. Hard to do when you see sale prices. DH remembering to leave me the reciepts for his shopping. He found a better priced wavy chip he likes. He brought back the mouse traps/attractant, $11 back in our checking. I picked up a free 24 oz drink from kwik trip. Continue to remember my lunch from home. Dh made homemade sloppy joes for supper, lots of chopped sauteed colored peppers in it. 2 extra hours paid work today.
I'm trying hard to stay healthy. We have so many residents with upper respiratory virus right now. Hopefully a N95 and shield will protect me.
Cribbage time then early to bed again.
No eat out/take out day 16. No unnecessary spend day 17/365. Husband says, 'you work hard for your money , treat yourself once in awhile'. Not this month. Maybe if I stick with my plan for January

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Temp in the low 30’s yesterday so dh and I went for a walk in one of our nearby state parks. Beautiful walk in the woods. It’s a new year so we got our annual state park vehicle stickers. Nice discount now that dh is 65. I’m not counting it as unnecessary as it is not a new expense for us. We get one every year and We definitely get our money’s worth throughout the year. It’s our main outdoor entertainment. We love hiking in nature and so does our 6 year old grandson. We have taken him with us to the parks since he was 2. So many wonderful memories.
My RN license renewal was due so paid for that this am. $61 - for 2 years I think.
We didn’t eat out while gone yesterday. Had potatoes with creamed peas when we returned.
Today Dh invited my mom out to eat again, he once again forgot my personal challenge for this month. We will be using another of our gift cards from Christmas present. It will easily cover take out for us three. It is 4 degrees and windy right now and I would rather not leave the house at all but happy to visit mom and keep her company for the afternoon.
Other random thoughts- I thought I would double check the windows in our sunroom as it was exceptionally cold in there. Dh had said he checked that the windows were latched shut at start of winter season. Well, he latched them but didn't look under the shades to see that there was up to an inch gap on all 6 windows!
Fed the birds today with homemade suet and black oil sunflower seeds, love to watch the little woodpeckers, finches, redpolls. Signs of bunnies cleaning up under the feeders at night.
Ran out of my Bcomplex vitamins, but with my better eating and drinking more water, I won't buy more , saving $14. Going to start taking the gummy mvi I bought for the grandsons as their parents have a supply. I also discovered that the fish oil I'm taking also has 2000 mg of D3. I was taking a 5000mg D3 with it. I'll stop taking the D3 for now. Not sure if I'll buy more probiotic, only have a couple left. Omeprazole is healing my stomach.
Hope you all are staying healthy.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Our meal with mom yesterday was fully covered with the gift certificate. Mom paid the tip. Worked an extra hour today. It all adds up. Dh stopped at his two favorite grocery stores again and picked up the deals, he was in the area to get his lab drawn. He saved the receipts and did good with his purchases. All ingredients we normally use. Ordered my free rapid tests. Free sweet rolls at work today. I'm out of shampoo. I've even used all the little sample bottles I found in the cabinets. I'll probably go to local Dollar General and get generic. My plan is to walk out with only the shampoo. Trimmed my own bangs. Ice cold water is tasting better everyday. Not missing my daily diet coke anymore. My energy level is much improved, less restless anxiety, improved sleep, no headaches.
No eating out days =18/365. No unnecessary spending days = 20/365

·
Registered
844 Posts
Kim: that sounds like a great meal. I like your counter on the bottom of your responses. Good job.

Good luck getting just one thing at dollar general! Hard to pass by all the cheapness for me.
And as a "no poo" person who gave up shampoo 15 or so years ago, it is working for me and saving a ton of $$. But, isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
MaggieTru- what do you put on your hair? just water? I couldn't do that as I have oily hair.
I tried some mild body wash I had but that left a weird waxy feel to my hair. Last night I used a scant amount of soft soap and water. My hair feels very clean. We have very hard water and probably needed a deep clean. Didn't stop for the shampoo today, too cold , I just wanted to get home from work and put my feet up for awhile.
Pay day, bigger check due to double time New Years Day and extra hours I picked up. I've chosen a certain amount I will keep in my checking the first pay period and the rest will go right to savings. I have a bit of catch up after dh's hearing aides purchase. The second pay period I will put into savings the amount that would have gone to mortgage payment before paying it off.
Hoping to find something interesting on t.v tonight or I will be in bed early. Right now I'm watching Gordon Ramsey: Uncharted. Dh has been napping since I got home. Old timers bowling league wore him out I guess. lol
No eating out = 18/365 No unnecessary spending = 21/365

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ll jump into the challenge! Answers to the questions:
1. What's your why?
++ we just purchased the 5 acres next to our existing 12 in another state. I want to pay this off as quickly as possible. Plus we want to throw a travel trailer or something like that so we can stay on the property and stop renting when we visit.
2. Is there an area of unnecessary spending that is taking money that could be put into your savings?

I do spend too much money on craft stuff so I need to start selling my wares and getting some of that money back. I need to use what I have and stay away from those sites!

this is my goal for 2022!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Welcome JaninFI! Keep us up to date on how your doing and what you sold , money saved etc. It has been a real motivator for me to post and read how others are saving money and being frugal. It is free entertainment and my new hobby right now instead of shopping. I'm also filling my husband in on how I saved and how much we saved. He is impressed with some of it. I don't want to scare him off so I give him small doses of my recent frugality.

For today, I unplugged all our unused electronics which wasn't really that much. A seldom used t.v., the printer, alarm clock we don't use etc. I talked DH out of renewing our Sams membership. It is not worth it for us 2, It is a long drive away , and we don't need bulk items. He has a couple things he likes there because 'it is a better price', I told him the pennies he is saving is not worth the membership. When we go into the store we always spend more than I would with a regular grocery run. Our washer machine pipe froze. Running warm water through it now and found our drain snake and trying to chip it free. Problem solving how to insulate the outside wall to keep it from happening again. Also trying to discourage husband from buying a cordless electric broom. We don't need another gadget. What's wrong with a broom and dustpan, besides maybe a little less dust. We already have a light weight swivel vacuum.
Bringing the salad for moms invite to supper. Decided on a poppyseed dressing mandarin salad as I have everything but the mixed greens (mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, poppyseed dressing) 1 bag will be plenty for the 4 of us eating.
Have a great Saturday!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Kim I am always impressed with how you are doing.
I use a old fashioned "dust mop" sprayed with some Endust for our wood floors. I made an extra cover for it from old fleece sweatshirt and sewed extra yarn scraps on for "fringe". I don't know if you can buy them any more but it is really fast and convenient and works well to pick up dust and dog hair. Would not work with sand/grit though....When the cover gets too dirty I toss it in the wash with other cleaning rags.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Did slip and get the blush and lip gloss I wanted... but...lol staying off ebay and amazon. less hours but less stress too so need to be good. since ds is giving up martial arts..that $1500 is not being paid out this year. More getting stuff done around the house and using what we have for entertainment. as the sun is shining and showing all the cat hair etc. did get a bunch of british goodies on its way. have been going though the pantry getting rid or using up stuff. dh has been getting stuff from store like cat food and milk today. I had ordered canned food from amazon cus cheaper but not coming in time. but will get used up. still spend $100 on groceries cus lunchmeat milk etc don't know how people afford a bunch of teen boys lol

dd mail still needs to go and next on the list her getting a job. need to look into some more financial stuff too and find out what is going on.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Thanks dircpa , and I will see what I have for mop handles and rig up something with microfiber clothes I have for dusting the floors after sweeping.
marthamfi- Sometimes we need to treat ourselves for a job well done, then get back on track with our financial goals. Nice savings not having the martial arts fee.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just finished 16 oz of tasteless water lol
Going over my cable/internet/landline bill again. My mission is going to be to get the bill reduced somehow. Cutting landline will save us 19.99 and 2nd t.v. receiver 8.99 plus tax a month. I'll start by calling them and see if I can get anywhere with a discount with my time on the phone. I need the companys internet for the deal we are getting with our mobile services .
Just watched a youtube video, Living on a dollar a day, reminder of how lucky I am not to live in poverty.
I message my mom the cafe menu to get her order, DH and I chose our options based on keeping bill within the $30.00 limit on my gift card. I'm determined to make it a nonspend take out. Will drink what we have at home or moms.
We are doing well gals, keep it up.
Add some lemon or lime to your water!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m on Day 6 of COVID, so officially out of quarantine but we didn’t go anywhere today. Nor did I spend any money😁. Planned my menu for the week with everything we have at home. We are getting ready for our Florida cold front so it was an overcast, rainy day. Yesterday I transplanted my 2 varieties of broccoli plants so the rain was welcome. Listed my first journal in my Etsy shop. I’ll have to get the hang of it and spend a little time learning the ins and outs of it. I plan on making a sympathy card tonight and just watching some YouTube. Bundle up, ladies!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
yikes hope it didn't hit you hard. forgot to say dh had ordered a part for my car from the states..a place for cheap parts so hit or miss what they have and since my car is 30yrs old. so hard to get some things. He decided to put it in cus not hard..his age and back stop him from doing things he used too.

you can knit or crochet mop heads or swiffer type replacements too. or the cuban mop idea. I have a vileda mop that has the cloth bottoms Velcro on or I just use old towels etc too

dh bought more furnace filters..I had moved the others from lying on the floor to a normal place to store them (by furnace) so he thought we were out but said good price. maybe these will be better cus too much dust coming in the house from furnace. like every day a layer.

61 - 80 of 253 Posts