·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spicy Vegetable Chili

Recipe Description
Forget anemic veggie chili. This stuff is hearty, spicy, and GOOD!!​
Preparation Steps:
I didn't have celery, so I didn't add it. Also, I don't like kidney beans, so I used chili beans instead.​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
30 min [+cooking time]​
Ingredients:
2 large onions, chopped
2 c. medium green sweet peppers, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 15-16 oz cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 15-16 oz cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
1 c. water
6 oz tomato paste
2 T. chili powder
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. dried oregano, crushed
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. hot pepper sauce​
Serves:
Approx 12 servings​
Directions:
In a 6 or 7 qt slow cooker, stir together all ingredients.
Cover, cook on low for 9-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.

**This recipe can also be used for Cincinnati-Style Chili and Noodles!! Reserve 6 cups of chili, then add into that 1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped; 1/2 t. ground cinnamon; 1/2 t. ground allspice; 1/8 t. ground cloves. Serve over cooked spaghetti noodles with cheese and onion for garnish!**​

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Sounds really good! I would just sub the Worcestershire sauce because of the anchovies, but I bet my family would like this. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
:bump: I am making this today, and it smells SO good!

I think Madhen has a crockpot as big as my car because mine wouldn't hold everything! :lol:

The only major changes I made was using dried beans instead of canned and used black beans instead of pintos.

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
sounds delicious. i plan on making it tomorrow

change of plans. i'm out of corn. so i'll make it when we restock corn. but thanks for the recipe!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The nice thing about it is that you don't have to be perfect. It would taste just fine without the corn. Or you could add rice or pasta instead. I am making it today, and I am actually out of canned corn, but I always have frozen corn on hand for the chickens, so I am going to steal some of theirs!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
This sounds delicious!
Think I'm gonna have to add this in for next week...thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will not regret it. I've made it about four times now. I make up a big batch (and yes, it will fill up your crockpot), then freeze it in single-serving sizes. I especially like it on top of pasta.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i'm going to the store soon to get corn. i plan on making it with lentils instead on beans since i dont eat beans. so i'll have garlic, corn, chili powder, tomato past and lentils.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did anyone by chance save the recipe for this? Am hoping to make it again, but I don't have the original recipe anymore, and it is still MIA in Frugal Village.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, yes, yes!!! Thank you, Gabe, for getting the cookbook up and going again! I thought I had lost this recipe to the sands of time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts