Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the flash mob Hallelujah Chorus thread titled Christmas treat and the post in it about another Hallulujah chorus in a Random acts of Culture series Started me wondering is there are "random acts of culture" in your community or cultured events you can attend without paying for a ticket.

Where I live music culture seems to be everywhere. Even the local grocery store is having a variety of choirs come sing. There are many opportunity to hear music of many different varieties for free.

So is there much music culture available where you live? Would you see a choir at the grocery store or a sting concert in the mall? Are there free concerts?

·
4,028 Posts
There are performances by local high school choirs around the holidays in the Baltimore area. Sadly and fortunately I'm not shopping enough to enjoy them.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Various school choirs sing at the center court of the mall for different events (Christmas, Veteran's Day, etc.)

Loads of free concerts/plays/live Nativity scenes this time of year at the local churches and schools.

Lots free concerts at the local college at various times of the year - especially around the end of the semester when seniors are giving recitals, etc.

·
Registered
232 Posts
not around here, there are plays and musicals etc but all have a price tag to cover the rental of the venue. There are no choirs etc singing in the malls, halls, etc.

When I was a teenager, we used to go caroling around town, singing xmas carols down the street and at the old folks homes around town (loved doing those, we always got treats from the seniors lol hot cocoa and homemade cookies always win teenagers over ;) )

I know sometimes in the larger cities, there'd be free music/entertainment in the parks etc, this town has nada :(

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
In my neighborhood the only free music we get is from the teenagers across the street and their trashy ghetto friends. If anything goes on at the local high school I've never heard about it. There are some church/religious events but that's not my thing. I would be shocked to find live music at my local grocery store that wasn't coming from a panhandler.

KC has some great music (we're known for jazz and blues), theatre, and other events, but it happens in "other" parts of town.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
This weekend there will be the town's tree lighting festival. Music, parade, Santa, cocoa and cookies are free. You can also visit one of the historical houses free.

New Years Eve is 'family first night'. It is not at all as great as it once was, but it's still free entertainment for families.

During the summer there are free concerts on the town common on Tuesdays. In September we have Yankee Doodle weekend with different craft tables, games and entertainment.

There is not a heck of a lot of 'culture' in my small town, but a 20 minute car ride gets me in to Boston where there is always something going on -- we just choose NOT to go there. Too crowded.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just the school choir winter concert here, nothing else.. We don't have much if at all diverse culture here..

·
Registered
289 Posts
We have community choirs and bands that hold free concerts, but everything else has some kind of fee. Even the school concerts charge. There are summer concerts in the park that are free.

Low-cost events are in abundance though, including several community theatres, college music/theatre depts., museums, etc. If you can't find something to go see or do, you aren't looking very hard around here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My paranormal group offers free historical ghost tours several times throughout the year. We take people into historic homes, have reenactors along the way, and in addition to the spooky stories, share a lot of the history and culture of our area. Around Halloween, we often put on several free lecture series about historic haunts throughout the county through the county library.

We also are involved in several local Civil War Days, which are all free and open to the public. The last one is held in early November, so we're done for the season.

As for music and other cultural events, I live close enough to the state capitol (Charleston) and a major college town (Huntington) to get in on plenty of other free festivals. The Greek festival is always good for some awesome food, and the Vandalia Festival is great for local music and storytelling. There's not a whole lot of plays shown for free, unless they're with a church...but I see free plays and shows at my workplace.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for sharing how it is in your community I love hearing how places have their own personalities.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Various choirs on barges floating down the Riverwalk singing Christmas carols, bands and choirs in the malls, concerts at area colleges...lots of music and celebration around here. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
A choir that my friend is in is performing free this weekend at the mall.I know over the years a lot of different childrens groups have performed there during christmastime. I have an arboreatum in my city that has a free day every month. In the summertime, in july & aug we can go listen to free concerts. And the city south of me does the same thing on a different night. So we go to both! Back to my city, i have a huge county park and sometimes there is some kind of event going on that may include music or a performance for free. Oh i forgot about the Recreation dept in my town. They always have something going on for free according to the season for local families. Games, music,crafts.. Thier winter festival is coming up. There is also some concerts given by the high school band throught out the year some are low cost or donation of food etc to get in. The high school perform's 3 plays during the school year. I went to the first it was GREAT! I get in for free to those (2 tickets) since i work for the school district. We'll have things going on at our local horseracing track (also in my city) those are pay. So yes imagine, there is alot going on in my city!! I am sure i failed to mention some of them..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.