·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Split Pea Soup

Recipe Description
Pretty Awesome Split Pea Soup​
Preparation Steps:
I use whatever pork I have on hand and it is always good. I keep a bag of diced celery, onions, and carrots in the freezer just for this recipe.​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
2 hr 15 min​
Ingredients:
1/2 lb split peas
4 cups water
1 ham hock or meaty ham bone
1/3 c diced carrots
1/3 c diced onions
1/3 c diced celery
1/2 tsp salt​
Serves:
Directions:
Wash and drain split peas, Combine all ingredients in kettle with tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hock or bone. Cool Slightly. Cut meat off bone and dice. Add to soup and heat thoroughly.​

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This sounds great! I make split pea soup too. I use chicken broth instead of water. When done I taste the soup then add salt if needed.

Reactions: Josephhgoins

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I made split pea soup today! almost exact as this one.

except i dry sauteed the hock for a bit after scoring it. then added a bit of chix stock. let it cook a bit. then added a chopped onion and lots of celery leaves and some bay leaves. let it go for a bit. add the rest of the chix stock and water and some hot sauce and pepper and split peas. let it simmer for one hour. add carrots and let simmer another 1/2 hr. then i add some chopped canadian bacon to warm. yummy

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Yup, it is getting to be that time of the year. Soup is on. Will be making split pea soup, lentil soup, and black bean soup soon. Right now it is in the 80's hot and humid here so will wait until it feels like fall again. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts