Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we're eating our way through the freezer/cupboards this month as part of my spring cleaning. I need help thinking of a use for several items that just aren't getting used for their intended purpose.

Any recipes/ideas for the following items would be much appreciated:
- box of Red River porridge
- box of various seeds, nuts, and dried fruit
- bottle of Blue Cheese salad dressing
- Chicken stock, I froze this in a 4L bottle, so I need something that uses a lot at once.

It has become obvious to me that we will never eat porridge, trail mix, salad, or chicken soup, but I don't want to throw out food.
TIA

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I would use the trail mix in cookies or coffee cake. My kids don't like nuts straight but will eat them that way. The blue cheese salad dressing makes a great potato salad (use it instead of mayo) or tasty mashed potatoes. The stock can be used in mashed potatoes, rice, pot of any type of soup or gravy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The trail mix could be sprinkled on top of a plain cereal (corn flakes, cheerios) to make it a little more 'special'.

I usually use chicken stock instead of water when cooking to add extra flavor... in rice, to thin a sauce, and as a base for soup (with whatever veggies I have in the veggie bin), but I don't know how long it would take to go through 4L, I usually use the quart boxes.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the blue cheese dressing in the mashed potatoes idea. I'm definitely going to do that.

I have two meals planned this week with rice, so I will use the chicken stock instead of water. That should use about 1/2 of the bottle, but I don't know how long I can leave it in the fridge without going bad.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Porridge - add dried cranberries OR maple and brown sugar to it, or use it like oatmeal to make muffins or cookies.

Chicken stock. Hmmm, I'd add chicken, white beans, green chilis, and garlic to it and serve it as soup (kind of a white chili). Use a big stew pot, or thaw it and make two batches of something (or 2 somethings). If you were here, I'd ask if I could buy it from you!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you were here, I'd ask if I could buy it from you!
If I was there, I'd give you it. I've actually got 2 4L bottles and a carcass in the freezer right now. :ponder: We usually have a chicken or turkey every 4 weeks, so I have a little trouble keeping up on the soup front.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Here's my ideas:

porridge: serve with nuts/fruit mix

fruit/nut mix: make trail mix, make granola, add to cookies or quick bread

broth: make soup (you can use chicken broth in veggie soups like broccoli soup, potato soup or in white chili), add to mashed potatoes, use to cook rice and noodles in (your own pasta mixes) -- you could even make your own noodles, cook beans in it (instead of water), make gravy (my mom used to make biscuits and gravy)

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts