Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DD17 always complains when it gets warm outside that she doesn't want to eat 'hot' foods. She would eat a sandwich every day I believe. I do make sandwiches, salads and pastas. I was wondering what everyone serves for dinner when it gets to hot for cooking. I don't mind making 'cold' foods, but would love some new ideas. TIA!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, for salads:
Pea, cheese and pasta salad (can add ham chunks too)
Ceasar Salad
Chef's salad
Taco Salad (can do taco bowls, by putting a soft taco over a metal bowl and putting in the oven until crisp)
Frog Eye Salad

Sandwiches:
Cucumber sandwich (french bread, mayo, cucumber slices and a bit of salt)
Hoagies instead of plain sliced bread
Make the "special mayos" (kraftfoods.com may have some ideas you can copy

Of course anything on the grill is wonderful and keeps the heat outside instead of in the kitchen. Grilled veggies and fruits are simply delicious!!

Last summer I barely cooked because here it gets well over 100 degrees and there is no air conditioning at all! If I can think of more ideas I'll post!

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, jkelstaten! I do have to ask the question.... What is Frog Eye Salad? Can you give me a recipe? Sounds interesting enough.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I buy all the stuff to make salads, and cut up on a Sunday. I then every day or two, I fill a salad size tupperware with a salad / nothing wet. Then I buy the chicken strips from Tyson ( a bit expensive) but kid friendly. My daughter throws them on the George Foreman grill frozen and then seasons them. She gets out the ready salad and adds her chicken and she is done.
Also here when it gets hot, I do the cuban like sandwiches. The hogie/meats/cheese and lay on the Forman and squish. They are really good. You can do any kind, meatball/rubens/ We get real inventive.
Hope that helps
Ms Louise

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks, jkelstaten! I do have to ask the question.... What is Frog Eye Salad? Can you give me a recipe? Sounds interesting enough.
Here's a link to a recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Frog-Eye-Salad/Detail.aspx

I would make the pasta and egg mixture the night before and soak the pasta in it overnight and then add the rest of the ingredients. That's how my recipe says to do it and it's YUMMY!! Good for a dessert or maybe with lunch too.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Your dd sounds alot like me, when it gets hot out I have no desire to eat really heavy meals, like roasts and mashed potatoes. In the summer we eat alot of salads (pasta, fruit &potato). Most of our meat is stuff that can be done on the grill. We do some sort of kabob once a week. The majority of our summer meals seem to be produce though, so much yummy stuff in season.

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
my kids arent big eaters either, so sometimes i alos make slushies and fruit drinks, and cocoa or choc peanut butter drinks.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Pita bread sandwiches with hummus and veggies is always good.

I also make mexican shrimp cocktail.

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

1 lb. cooked and peeled shrimp (salad shrimp work too)
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
1/2 white or yellow onion, diced (omit if you don't like it and add more cucumber or avocado)
2 avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
3 cups tomato or V8 juice
A few (or more!) dashes non-vinegary hot sauce like Tapatio
one or two limes sliced into wedges
saltine crackers

Mix shrimp, cucumber, onion, avocado, tomato juice and hot sauce in a non-reactive bowl.
Chill to serve. Serve in bowls or soup mugs with a squeeze of lime juice and saltine crackers on the side. This is really delish, and refreshing on a hot day.
Almost like a gazpacho but with shrimp in it. Hey, there's another idea, gazpacho!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Even during the summer SO and I like our meat and potatoes. However, we normally grill our meat and put our potatoes in foil packets and grill those too. In our packets we include potatoes, margarine, onion, seasonings like taco seasoning, salt, pepper, fresh garlic or garlic powder. SO like shredded cheese in his. We also grill veggies like asparagus and green beans, sometimes in packets, sometimes in grill pans.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Even during the summer SO and I like our meat and potatoes. However, we normally grill our meat and put our potatoes in foil packets and grill those too. In our packets we include potatoes, margarine, onion, seasonings like taco seasoning, salt, pepper, fresh garlic or garlic powder. SO likes shredded cheese in his. We also grill veggies like asparagus and green beans, sometimes in packets, sometimes in grill pans.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Even during the summer SO and I like our meat and potatoes. However, we normally grill our meat and put our potatoes in foil packets and grill those too. In our packets we include potatoes, margarine, onion, seasonings like taco seasoning, salt, pepper, fresh garlic or garlic powder. SO likes shredded cheese in his. We also grill veggies like asparagus and green beans, sometimes in packets, sometimes in grill pans.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts