Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on the web for advice about painting grout, but while I was looking I found a post inquiring help for removing permanent marker from grout. Seems it was ahh....permanent.

I want to stain our white grout black. I have a green and black tiled bathroom and no matter what I do I can not keep the grout white, it is always this horrible gray/tan that just looks dirty all the time. So I was thinking about staining it black. Adding a black shower curtain and window curtain. Tired of fighting it and thought it would make my life easier.

But do I dare try a black sharpie? I know they have grout paint but we are broke, I'm making shower curtain and window curtains out of some old black sheets so that would be free and I have a black Sharpie. So Do I dare????

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Maybe you can test an area out of sight, like behind the toilet?

My guess is if you used a permanent black Sharpie, it would be permanent....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Maybe you can test an area out of sight, like behind the toilet?

My guess is if you used a permanent black Sharpie, it would be permanent....
I agree. Once its done you can get a spray resealer @ Lowes for $8.00
If you do/did this can you let us know how it turned out?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I totally chickened out on this, too afraid to go black on my grout. Wish sharpies came in white!

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure if it would or not. I wish they made grout pens just like sharpies. I tried the painting my grout, what a NIGHTMARE!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have the colored grout on my floor..It was to be a light gray. It went on black. and now it is a dirty looking gray.kinda dark...but not quite black. So even the colored grout changes color.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Boy is that a job I would not tackle! Way too much like guys work. Besides, it's a VERY OLD bathroom, in VERY SAD shape. The tiles are lose, any messing with them and they will probably come down like dominios. I'm just trying to do what I can to make our bathroom presentable till we have the money to rip it out and put in a new one.

I've tried every cleaner I know to whiten the grout but to no avail. When we first moved in I used that grout paint. It was a nightmare and the results did not last near long enough for the amount of work that went into it. Like I said, I wish they made a white sharpie pen! Maybe I can find something similar at an art store?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you tried Zep Grout Cleaner and Whitener (in Home Depot cleaning section)? It works great on the floor. You could try Magic grout coating (at Home Depot, I think with bathroom things) in white after you clean it but I don't know how long that would last. It is easy to work with, it has a shoe polish applicator. Try white vinegar too if you haven't yet, that seems to work pretty well on the floor too.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Next time I'm in Home Depot I'll pick up a bottle of that cleaner and see if it whitens my grout enough that I don't need to do anything else. I use white vinegar every week to kill mold. I spray it on straight and wait 20minutes to an hour and then go back in and scrub with a scrub brush and baking soda, works great for killing mold and it does not hurt my lungs. Requires scrubbing though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think it was six dollars and something when I looked the other day. If you have smooth grout on your wall I am not sure if it will work, but it is worth a shot. Make sure you cover your drain well so as not to corrode the metal if you are concerned about that.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Boy is that a job I would not tackle! Way too much like guys work. Besides, it's a VERY OLD bathroom, in VERY SAD shape. The tiles are lose, any messing with them and they will probably come down like dominios. I'm just trying to do what I can to make our bathroom presentable till we have the money to rip it out and put in a new one.

I've tried every cleaner I know to whiten the grout but to no avail. When we first moved in I used that grout paint. It was a nightmare and the results did not last near long enough for the amount of work that went into it. Like I said, I wish they made a white sharpie pen! Maybe I can find something similar at an art store?
Polly,

Not sure how much you would have to use, but you know what is really white and is hard to get off. White out. Just got 2 bottles for $1 at staples this week

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've tried bleach, didn't work and wow! tough on the lungs. Hmm..does white out come like a marker yet or is is still a paint on?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, I will. It's not on the top of my list at this moment, however it is on my list.

I did try the bleach pens, I tried a paint brush with soft scrub with bleach, painted it on let it sit then came back and scrubbed like crazy. Nada, still looks dingy, dirty *sigh* I've put a lot of work into this grout.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts