Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pleeeease help ladies!!!!

I live in an apartment, and of COURSE they give me white carpet... jerks.

it was very beautiful when I first moved in, however my less then careful boyfriend and cat have pretty much turned it dingy gray.

there is lotssss of black/dark gray spots that I cant even tell what they are from.

what is the cheapest way to get it clean again? Im only 21 and money is tight...so I dont have a whole lot to work with.

oh and I guess its not WHITE its "off white" so Im guessing bleach would be bad....

pleeeeease help!!
:wand::wand:
:feedback:

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Bleach is always bad on carpet...

Look into renting a carpet cleaner/steamer thingie. It won't exactly be cheap, but it will be cheaper than paying for the carpet. Regular grey dirt should come out. You may have to get on your knees and work at some of the darker spots.

At least you didn't spill red kool-aid like I did in my first apt.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I second renting a rug doctor. You can google for homemade carpet cleaner shampoo recipes so you don't have to purchase the expensive stuff. And if you have some oxyclean, mix some with water in a spray bottle to use as a spot treatment before you shampoo your carpet.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
....and when you get finished, buy a couple of those cheap stripey-type rag rugs at Walmart to wipe your feet on and place by the door. Running the vacuum EVERY DAY will keep it nice, and keep you from having to panic again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks ladies :) Ill see how much to rent a carpet cleaner. :) I think my boyfriends work rents them...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Check with your complex. I was two years into my five year stay when I found out that I got a free yearly professional cleaning. Otherwise, look into the rug doctor. Talk to friends or neighbors, and see if they have a personal carpet shampooer.

After that, lose the shoes in the house.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Yup, go with a rug doctor. Make the shoes come off as soon as he enters the place. Also vacuum twice a week. Will help to keep the grime from grinding into your carpet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts