Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this isn't something we've talked about much here except in passing, but Ceashels and I are renovating a building we purchased earlier this year. It's a row home, end of row, brick, with two 1BR apartments in it, each having a living room (though the upper could be a 2BR w/ no living room) kitchen and bath.

And then it has an unfinished basement, and the steps going down to the basement were in bad shape. The "stringers" (I hate calling them that in this case) were not cut to fit the steps as in this visual:

But instead were simply straight 2x10's with little strips of wood nailed to them. It was kind of like this:
(note how the steps are mounted to the stringers) but instead of using really sturdy materials like brackets and bolts in this pic, they used 2x10's cut down to about 1" wide and simply nailed into place. Nails pull out when subjected to repeated stress, and basements are sometimes damp.

So result? The bottom step had already given way. The 2nd from the bottom was in bad shape. The 3rd gave way *as I stepped onto it*, fell onto the 2nd (which took it out), and I got a surprise elevator ride from the 3rd step down to the basement floor. (Fortunately, landing on my leg which was primed to catch my weight so I did not fall after landing, or hurt myself.)

The irony? I was going down to measure the boards on the stairs so I could buy materials to repair them.

So yesterday was the actual repair job. I made new, custom stringers (real stringers!) out of pressure treated 2x10's, and sistered them (ie: stuck them up against) the existing stringers on the inside, securing them with about a dozen heavy duty galvanized screws on each (mounting done with Ceashels help holding things in place and handing me what I needed as I needed it). Then we cut 11 31" wide treads and secured those into the outer stringer with screws so the treads sit on the proper stringers and are also secured to the fake stringers.

Finally, I put a 4x4 UNDER the two stringers to help carry the weight. I'll put a 2nd one on the other side later this week after the basement dries (Hanna came through and this basement leaks, sigh).

Result: You could jump up and down on these new babies and they won't move a millimeter. In fact, I did, and that was BEFORE I added the 4x4 support post.

I'm very proud of myself right now. :D I'd never built stairs before! :D :D

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
:thumb:

yay! sense of accomplishment!

·
Registered
787 Posts
very cool
very cool

now, how about coming and helping me build my dream house???? lol

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
:Clap: That is AWESOME! I LOVE DIY projects...especially ones that are completed successfully!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
:cheergrl: Good for you!!! Stairs generally seam to be one of those projects people get leary about attempting on thier own. What a wonderful job you've done explaining the completion as well as actually redoing them!!! (I always have a horrible job with the actual basic step by step explination.)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
That's wonderful! Congrats on the duplex purchase!

·
27,948 Posts
Woohoo, love it when a plan comes to fruition.GJ!:perfect:

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oops - wrong thread.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics! Fear my leet stair building prowess...

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suspect I will be told I need a 2nd. I'll probably add one just to be safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts