Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a new chapter in my life starting June 1st; my mom said that she is going to join me. Part of it is about simplifying my life and being very frugal and learning to live with less. I have decided for a year I will not buy magazines, newspapers, and books. For clothing if it is needed only second hand for DD and me, with the exception being underwear, socks, shoes for DD and bathing suits. I am going to do my best not to buy prepackaged food, and will make everything from scratch. Come Sept when my cable is up I will be getting rid of cable and trying to cancel my cell phone. This is also the time my rent goes up. If I have to I will cancel my net and only use it at the library. No going out to eat period or buying coffee because I feel like one. I have a perfectly good coffee maker at home. No buying cleaning supplies, vinegar and baking soda pretty much clean everything. My mom has extra fabric quilting so she said I could have it to make napkins. At Christmas most things will be home made with the exception being buying a toy and some books for dd. As well my mom asked if quilting supplies counted, I said no because it is something that you are hand making and you need supplies. I said my art supplies and yarn for knitting don't count as well.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
It is nice your Mom is joining you on your challenge. You can keep each other motivated and accountable. Good luck!! :)

Reactions: Rhiamon

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Good luck!

I would suggest not trying to make all those changes in the same week. It's like losing weight, if you try to change every single habit at once, you're likely to fail and be frustrated. Also, not everything is going to work out as planned, so don't beat yourself up if you find out, for example, the cleaning supplies you try don't work as expected and you want to buy something else.

Don't list months you've 'failed' in your sig! Think positive. Also remember the past is gone and you can't change it. Don't dwell, re-start from today. You haven't failed in January, February, and March, you are moving forward in April! Positive self-talk is very important when one is working hard to make progress.

I think you have a good list though, many things of which are very doable! It's always a good thing to make more foods from scratch, learn new skills, and cut expenses where it makes sense for you to do so, among other things you mentioned.

I don't see gardening on your list. If you don't garden, maybe you'd like to dip a toe in and see if you can grow something. Lots of things are easy and seeds are pretty cheap, or ask on Freecycle if anyone could share just a small amount of seeds, like four cucumber seeds or a couple zucchini seeds. If you don't have a place to garden but have a sunny spot, put a couple large pots in that spot and try container gardening, one with something easy like zucchini, and one with a tomato plant or other veggies you like. It's fun to watch stuff grow as you nurture it and then you get free groceries from it later on. Pots are expensive, but you can Freecycle for those or use five gallon pails with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. Put an empty gallon jug or two in the bottom so you have to buy less dirt. Just an idea, although your list looks ambitious enough already! I guess I just have gardening on the brain at the moment. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
BTW, don't pass up good buys on secondhand socks if you find them. I bought a bag of about thirty-five pairs of socks a few years ago for $1. I'm still wearing socks from that batch and will be for years to come. Bleach is a very handy thing! (I'm with you on drawing the line at used underwear though! :D)

·
4,028 Posts
I think that is great.

You need to think of ways to reward your endeavors though as it can be a big life change and you need to feel that you are gaining in some areas while letting go of others.

I look forward to hearing of your journey. :)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Great news!

You can also make cloth napkins from old clothing that you get for free, or already have. Cotton works great.

Same with cleaning rags- it doesn't have to be perfect. :toothy:

I agree with SD about trying your hand at gardening. It doesn't have to be huge, just start small - and you'll feel soooo empowered when you can EAT what you GREW

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only have a small balcony with my apartment so I am going to try and grow a few veggies and herbs on it, but I only get sun in the morning.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Good luck with your journey! It sounds like you have a great plan, and it's nice to have someone to do it with. Please keep us updated on how it goes.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It sounds like a great plan. I'd schedule it out to start new phase of it weekly. If not, you could go into over-drive and burn out quickly.

Good luck and keep us updated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts