Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH & I are starting our first "real" (as in on paper) budget. For years we've always talked about a budget and this "magic number" of how much money we needed each month, but we really never paid much attention.

This month we're starting to have xx dollars deposited into our account and everything else is going into our stock account. So, we have to pay attention, as the "extra" won't be there anymore.

We ran some numbers last night - and DH tacked an extra flight to the end of one of his trips this month - with our budget, the tax return (it'll be huge because of the adoption expenses) and DH's ability to pick up another extra trip next month - we should have DH's truck paid off by the end of March (I'm not changing my siggy, just in case).

That'll be $425 we can snowball onto our HELOC - that should disappear really quick and then we can start on my Suburban.

Holy Cow - its only been two days on teh budget, but I'm already getting caught up in how fast debt really can go away!!!!:clap:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Having a plan really makes you feel "in control", doesn't it :thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
good luck, We just did our 1st budget in 14 yrs of marriage... I am bound and determined to get out of debt.. I'm selling my horses and horse trailer, than will pay off just about all of the heloc within 3K then I will have $700/month freed up the 2nd week of march. Then my truck. after that I will get another horse and small paid for horse trailer and rebuild from there. or just save for a year to buy 3-4 acres to build us our own place. depends on how long I can stand myself w/out a horse : ) but if I ran the numbers correctly we will have everything paid off including my truck by the end of october then we will just have the house note.. I hope I can be strong it is just so hard to tell hubby and my son no.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Having a written budget makes it seem "real." Until I actually write things down, I can sort of imagine them away....

Anyway, congratulations and good luck!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I am so happy for you, it is so wonderful when a plan and budget come together. Great job.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great job! My DH and I are on our first written budget too. We're so fired up about it right now (hope that feeling lasts)....I can't wait to start seeing some wins and seeing the amount of debt we have just dwindle. Sounds like you guys are on the right track! :clap:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Good for you. I do my budget online and it has made a world of difference for my family. Just keeping yourself accountable and focused has amazing power!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Good for you!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts