Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 51 and have never been much on saving money. I can live simply and frugally, but I have a tendency to get what I want rather than what I need. In the last year or so, I've given great thought to spending tendencies and have decided to make an effort to a) eliminate all debt and b) save some money.

I'm balancing interest rates and paying my credit card off while putting some money in savings. When the card is paid off, it's not going to be used any longer. I will get a B of A card that rounds up and automatically puts money in savings. I only use a card for emergencies, so I'm not in danger of running up huge amounts of credit card debt. I will have one of two cars paid off in a few months, and that payment will go half to savings and half to paying off the one card I do use. When that card is paid, the money will go fully to savings.

We have put two and a half kids through college primarily on a cash basis, so the income is not a problem; it's what we do with it that is a problem.

I've vowed that 2007 is the year I switch from "want" to "need." I think that's primarily the key to living within or below one's means as well as saving some of the extra.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Donna, that's awesome, we too have to get back on the bandwagon and start saving for our future too! WTG!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Have you read any of the David Bach books? "Start Late, Finish Rich" was a good read.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Sounds like you have a great plan, Donna. As you said, living below one's means and saving are the two primary keys to financial success.

--Michelle

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You can do it!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
That's a great plan. I'm working on paying off debt and saving, too. Glad to have you on the wagon with us.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you read any of the David Bach books? "Start Late, Finish Rich" was a good read.
I haven't, but I'll see if the library has his books.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I haven't, but I'll see if the library has his books.

Dh and I started saving just two years ago, I was 40 and he was 42 and one of the first books I read which really motivated me was David Bachs "Start Late Finish Rich". I was so motivated that dh even read the book which also really motivated him :)

See if you can get that one:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dh and I started saving just two years ago, I was 40 and he was 42 and one of the first books I read which really motivated me was David Bachs "Start Late Finish Rich". I was so motivated that dh even read the book which also really motivated him :)

See if you can get that one:)
I have that and Judy Lawrence's books on my list for the library later this week, also the Tightwad Gazette book. I hear they get stolen from the library though! LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts