Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1192 Posts

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow - it feels great to be typing something besides 2020! This is where we theoretically focus on managing our various stashes, but it’s also a place where we share our projects. It’s become primarily a yarn/thread group, but we don’t limit ourselves to that and all leisure activities and their accompanying stashes are welcome. Join us as we see how our leisure projects unfold over 2021.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On one of my FB groups, someone posted her New Year’s stitching resolution to end 2021 with fewer supplies than she started with. Sounds like a good one to me. Of course that’s easy for me to say, having just supported the economy lavishly by laying in kits and new thread.

It feels good to have finished the ornaments and winter blackwork projects - photos are in the 2020 thread. I started Sharon’s tiles piece last night but didn’t get very far on it. I’ll work on that more tonight. I would like to get the first tile done, but don’t know if I can.

·
Super Moderator
19,830 Posts
Happy New Year to all! Let's hope 2021 turns out way better than 2020 was.

I would never know if I ended with less stuff at the the end of the year or not. Stuff gets used up, but then new stuff comes back in. I'm sure grateful for a bountiful stash though. We're never bored that way.

Husby is working on his new project, a fall scene with a cabin. He hasn't decided on his next project yet. Plenty to choose from after our Christmas spending spree at 123 Stitch!
20201231_120232_1609438690478.jpg

I decided I very much like the grid idea for some cross stitch projects, but not so much working the project by dividing it into squares. I do like making entire elements at once and ignoring the rest of the project, rather than working through doing an entire color at once spread over the whole project. So I switched to that. Coffee has 5 main elements, an awning and sign, 2 doors, a window, and sled with gifts. I finished the awning and sign last night, and will do a red door on the left next. Fun so far.
20201231_120418_1609439107079.jpg

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Those crossstitches are nice!

lol well since I have a book outlet cart sitting online..that has craft kits/books sets in cheap...some as gifts.. and just got my mary maxim order...plus old kits and craft stuff... no excuse to buy more but... . did see one thing that would use up my ribbons from the past when I dabbled in ribbon embroidery. of course since it has been so long it may come back in style! saw a craft project like paper rings but made from ribbon just cut and handsewn in loops to make chains. would use it up and make party decor for all things. think people used beads at join it too to make it prettier. it is thin ribbon.

https://www.instructables.com/Christmas-Ribbon-Garland-or-Chain/

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
This is the time of year where I think of five years worth of projects and say this is what I want to do this year.

As I mentioned in the 2020 thread, I will try some scrappy skirts this year.

I plan on trying to complete some peg dolls.

Maybe a few more sock patches.

Also some card boxes and book covers and altering some shirts I have.

It does not use up stash, but I am planning to do some playing around with calligraphy and fancy lettering. I am doing this in conjunction with learning notes for work. So the plan is coming up with really artsy notes for learning stuff at work. It is part of the general plan to have more fun at work. I am hoping that getting started in the more relaxing work at home setting will help give it momentum for when things go back to normal.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I really like repair/remake projects. Making little changes that take a so-so object and make it into something you like much better. Can be as simple as changing buttons on a sweater or turning long pants into shorts or sewing felt to the back of crocheted coasters. I really like how one person's comments or project start me thinking about something I might do with what I have on hand. For example KathyB talked about making flannel skirts and I started searching for pictures and ideas so now I want to make something like this.....
denim skirt.jpg

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Kathy, I think using stash, even if you do not completely deplete it is a valid goal. You won't wear out your pens, but they won't sit in the closet drying out either.

Review of last year:

-- clear up the clutter on the floor: did not get very far, may have made it worse

-- start assembly on the pinwheels: assembled, not quilted
-- quilt it

-- quilt the old christmas quilt: quilted, binding in process

-- dragon quilt: not touched

-- make a couple baby/kid size donation tops for the guild: did that

-- continue working on blue twin size donation quilt: done and gone

-- other small projects in between: did a few of those

2021 Goals:

-- continue clearing stash on the floor

-- make a backing and quilt the pinwheels

-- plan out the dragon quilt (I'm enlarging it from twin/double to queen size) and start it

-- niece's baby quilt

-- continue with guild projects

-- make something other than quilts (casserole carrier, new purses, etc)

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
19,830 Posts
I haven't thought about goals. It all depends on whether my arms get back to normal, and what happens with covid. I'm hoping by next New Year's eve, the pandemic is just a horrible fading memory, but I'm not optimistic.

In general though, I'm hoping to get our garden/greenhouse area set up, finally. Moving the lilies of the valley to terraces behind the garage cleared the space, so when spring comes we can start arranging planters to see what works. I think that's our last big outside project. Hard to believe after over 20 yrs of building this place.

I hope to get several more cross stitch projects done, including at least a couple more Christmas projects.

I want to finish my 9 patch triangle quilt top, if not the whole project.

I want to start the bear paw quilt I bought fabric for a few yrs ago, but it starts with a large printed panel and I'm not sure I could do the machine quilting on that. Maybe a few minutes at a time.

There's a long list of things I'd like to do, but will have to play it by ear.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve thought about what I want to do this year, but not as actual goals.

For tops, to make it as near a no spend craft year as possible. I know I will inevitably get things but I need to rein it in. A guilt free exception, of course, is if I need something unexpected to finish a project. What needs to stop is stashing whole new projects - supplies, patterns, or kits -“ for future use. My future isn’t as long as it was years ago. This is hard to remember. Lol.

After a year of working intensively on HAEDs with no finishes to show for it, I want to do smaller projects this year and actually have some completions. What a radical idea! For a goal I could shoot for at least one project every month as a minimum.

Peppermint Purple creates a lot of new patterns and group enthusiasm increases the difficulty of resisting, so I will probably end up with a few of those. But absolutely no new cross stitch. New rule for that. Get nothing until I first go through everything I already have.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I used my quilting fabric to make face masks during the time nursing homes and hospitals were asking for them. I only made 35 or so but I have a friend that made 1,000. We used a pattern from Unity Point Hospital website. I have five I made for myself in various fabrics. I thought about doing one in Christmas fabric but decided not to bother since I knew I'd be home alone for the holidays. I live in hope they won't still be needed at Christmas 2021.

This year I've been nearly 100% home alone and have fallen into the "why bother" mode. I think tomorrow I will wash up my feed sack retro fabric and find a quilt pattern to hopefully convince myself something is worth the bother just for me.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My goals partly depend on how long Covid lasts as well. So right now I am on full time telework, which gives me more time (no commute). I also feel like I have more energy as well. I feel less worn out after a day of work that does not include a commute.

I forgot to mention it, but I have also started doing more origami stars.

I am thinking also of keeping a small note book this year of all the crafty things I have done.

·
Super Moderator
19,830 Posts
D, you could track craft spending for the yr and break it into 2 catagories, one for spending only on items needed to complete a project, the other for new projects.

I didn't stitch a thing yesterday. It was good to rest. My arms feel so much better the past few days, I'm ready to blame the Chritters project.

I think masks may be in our futures for a long time to come. Dr. William Haseltine was on TV recently discussing the possibility that we may end up having to deal with covid-19 like the flu, with new vaccines every yr, because the virus might mutate each season like flu does. He was saying how flu used to be much more deadly, but now vaccines have cut the death rate way down.The two of us have already decided to make wearing masks a seasonal thing just to ward off flus and colds. We're getting older now and since wearing a masks is no big deal, why not try to avoid the usual seasonal stuff, not just covid? Many around the world wear masks routinely and no one thinks anything about it. I'm hoping the same attitude develops here. At any rate, one thing I want to do in 2021 is make lots more masks for us, and also put up some hooks to hang them from right by the door so we don't forget them, and keep spares in the vehicles too, including camper. I hope at some point we're permanently done with covid, but I won't be surprised if it's here to stay.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anna - good for you and your friend for making much needed masks. There are so many gorgeous quilt patterns I’m sure you can find one that will renew your enthusiasm. Stay with us and show us your progress.

Yesterday and until around 11:00 pm it rained. And rained. And rained. We got 3.6 inches. We’ve also had other rain recently and the ground is saturated. My swamp has reappeared. At present there’s no more in the forecast until next Wednesday.

I didn’t get much stitching done yesterday, but I’m about half finished with the first tile on the daffodil pattern. Maybe today I’ll be able to make more progress. The next section of the mandala SAL comes out on the 11th. I tend to forget that one, but I’ll probably do that as soon as it is released.

I was going to get a start on the bug sampler to work on off and on through the year, but may not. For one thing, I can’t decide if I want to do the framing pattern in black or a dark color, maybe navy or green. I’m pretty sure I’m going to do the insects with some color, but haven’t fully decided about that either. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SD - that’s a good idea. I should do it.

Kathy - I have a little 5 year journal I started back in the spring, and every day I note what I worked on.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I need to find more scrap yarn to add to the scrappy left over afghan I started, so what do I do instead, I start a new afghan. ( haha) I had a bunch of fall verigated yarn ( at least 6 skeins of it all same lot #) that I started an afghan with on Tuesday this week. finished off first skein of yarn on that. Still have one stuffed animal to fix, I haven't gotten to that yet. Will probably cut some more fabric into strips for some of my quilts that I want to do. At least I hope to get to that today..

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I finished my first doll wig for the peg doll. Not quite a finished project since she does not have a face or clothes yet. I plan on leaving the natural wood color as the skin color.

Note that traditional peg dolls do not have arms.

The clothes will be good fabric scrap projects.

The first wig attempt did not turn out the best. This time I crocheted a small cap and used a crochet hook to pull the yarn for hair through it. The yarn hair is on the cap much more securely than sewing it to felt. Also, since the cap is the same color as the hair, any small gaps between the strands of hair are not very noticeable.

This is made from dishcloth yarn. I plan to do some more with dishcloth yarn since I have a lot of it.
IMG_20210101_104403841~2_1609516703088.jpg

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
DC, I think the bugs border would look good in green. Maybe a mottled green. Your rain showed up last night as sleet and it is currently snowing. Good thing I have no plans.

SD, there are a number of places in the world where people have very strong opinions about face coverings, not just the US. I don't see them being worn continuously after the majority of the population here gets vaccinated, but I see your point about flu season. I have noticed they are more popular now that it is cold, since they keep your face warm.

Knotme, the new afghan project sounds pretty. I've always liked the look of variegated. What kind of quilts are you thinking of?

Anna, your feed sack retro project sounds interesting. Please share more.

I don't have plans for the new year, like SD says, I think the virus will keep us home for quite a while. I'm hoping by fall we are free to travel and gather in large groups. Meanwhile I have a lot of fabric and craft supplies on hand. My SIL complimented me on my quilts, and they have asked me before how much it would cost to make one. So now I am thinking of finishing the Cross in Crown as a gift. It may not get quilted this year, but I could work on getting it assembled.

Today's plan is getting the binding folded over and pinned in preparation for hand sewing.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
574 Posts
CH, I really like some of Bonnie Hunter's scrappy quilts. Some look like she threw them at a dart board and decided it looked fine. I do like her idea of having scraps ready cut to sew when you are ready to make a quilt. So I am trying to cut the smaller scrappy stuff left over from other projects to get it cleaned up and ready to use. I am saving her "Grassy Creek" mystery quilt pattern now. I will decide if I like it after the big reveal. I grew up about 20 miles from a small village called Grassy Lake and that is what I think of every time she says Grassy Creek. I also like the look of Quilted Twins scrappy patterns so follow that one too.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Knotme, I agree, she has some great quilts, but some seem a little too random. But when you make as many as she does, you can afford to have a few duds. I did one of her ideas last year, and took a look at the mystery quilt but it was too many triangles for me. The current one was looking better until I saw the tiny triangles. As the old meme goes "ain't nobody got time for that". Have fun cutting scraps and planning. I've got a growing pile, but not sure what I want to do with them yet.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The peg doll is cute!

Anna, I am sure if you look online you will find something! the end is near. sometimes there is things you don't think of until you see them. like I bought soup bowl cozies made of quilt fabric/batting from a crafter online..so handy and never saw before..gave as gifts too to friends (esp ones who you don't really know what they need) and they love them.

I really didn't make concrete plans in the past cus inlaws and then last year we did...concert tickets etc and then covid/mom sick so have ideas but will see! did look on youtube for knitting machine instructions. looking for sock ideas. have lots of thin multicoloured yarn so would work to use the ones up that i am not excited about.

2 things the lollipop granny square blanket to go in hope chest for future grandkids on last skein of 4. and finish off dd blanket ..can't make it bigger the stitch bugs my arm. it is big enough for her. can use the rest of the thunderbird colour yarn for granny square or something for her.

1 - 20 of 1192 Posts